The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

USA mechanics question

USA slow pitch game, 2 umpires.

Bottom 7, tie score, bases loaded, 1 out. I am on the bases.

Batter hit a semi-line drive to the left of F7 - he had to move about 4 or 5 steps to get to the ball and caught it.

I started inside from "B" watching R2 to see if there was a tag up, and there was. (Frankly, I paid no attention to R3 on first.)

PU made the out call on the catch and I saw him starting up the line towards 3rd base. The runner that was on third apparently tagged up and headed home. The throw from F7 went to 3rd base where there was a fairly close play and PU called the runner safe.

As I started coming inside and saw things unfolding in front of me, I had a brief thought about if the out was recorded at 3rd, who was going to determine if the runner that tagged up from 3rd crossed the plate before the out was made. I did try to take a look, but it would have been tough to tell.

I think we covered the play correctly and all was moot when the runner was ruled safe at 3rd.

Back into the Umpire Manual, I was looking up the situation for when bases are loaded and fly ball coverage. PU is responsible for the tag up at 3rd, any play on the lead runner at 3rd, and any play at the plate.

I view the lead runner here as R1 on 3rd base at the start of the play. The definition does not seem to include responsibility for R2 from second base, except for the BU being responsible for the tag up there.

BU is responsible for any play at 1B, 2B, and the last runner to 3rd. So who is responsible for R2?
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post

BU is responsible for any play at 1B, 2B, and the last runner to 3rd. So who is responsible for R2?
In a perfect world where the umpire's always know where the play is going to be, PU. Unfortunately, the players are not always accommodating
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Unfortunately, the players are not always accommodating
I'll second that. The runner from second should have just stayed there. Everything hinged on the runner from third making it home.

So, had the runner from second been called out at third, who would have make the call on whether the run would count or not? That might have been a wild scene!

And the manual just seemed to not acknowledge anything beyond the lead runner for the PU.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Without a current USA manual, there is still the obvious (to me) answer. PU did the correct thing, the play at 3rd (when the throw goes directly to 3rd) belongs to the PU. Far too many umpires stay at home with no play just because a runner is coming home, and think that the play at 3rd isn't their's.

On the hit, PU should move up the line in foul ground 1) to create an angle to the possible catch/trap call, 2) to create a lesser angle to the tagging runner on 3rd, and 3) to the holding zone, reading where the initial throw goes. Reading the throw, if directed to home, PU returns to the plate, if directed to 3rd, PU takes the play at 3rd. PU has catch, tag on 3rd, initial (after the catch) play at 3rd, initial play at home, play at home after an initial play at 3rd. If the runner coming home would be obviously safe, a good/great PU would ignore the throw and take any play at 3rd, even if the throw heads home and is cut or returned to third.

BU has tags at 1st and 2nd, any/all plays at 1st or 2nd, plays at 3rd only if/when the initial throw is to home and a return or cut throw is to 3rd. When PU comes up to 3rd (so you don't have to get there!!, and should be nearer 2nd than 3rd), BU is expected to turn and watch the ball to see the next play developing (how else would you know if it's going to 2nd or 3rd??), and see the timing for the runner scoring (or not!!). On this play as described in the OP, your partner would have his back to the plate, you (BU) should be where you can see ball, third, and the plate. Your only possible play is now at 2nd; you should be inside, near 2nd, to the 1st base side (out of the throwing lane of any return throw); now turn and watch to make that call.
Old Wed May 31, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I'll say that we did have it covered properly. The only thing I questioned was who would make the call on the run scoring or not had the runner been out at third.

My position was as Steve described. Some factors to consider aside from pure mechanics included playing a night game at a poorly lit, dusty field, and F2 standing in front of the plate. But that's why they pay us the big bucks! I think my game fee for that game was $30.