The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS upward arc foul ball caught.

I know ASA eliminated the requirement for a caught foul ball (with an upward and downward arc) for an out to go above the batter's head in 2006. Did NFHS eliminate that requirement as well? I can't find it on the rule book or case book.
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
I know ASA eliminated the requirement for a caught foul ball (with an upward and downward arc) for an out to go above the batter's head in 2006. Did NFHS eliminate that requirement as well? I can't find it on the rule book or case book.
Either in the definition or in a case related to the foul definition, don't have time to find it.
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Either in the definition or in a case related to the foul definition, don't have time to find it.
Case Book. Example 5 of 2.25 Comment. That section begins on Page 13, but Example 5 is on the following page.

(5) A pitch touches the bat of B2 and loops over the catcher's head (never higher than the batter's head). F2 lunges backward and makes a diving catch. B2 is out and the ball remains alive.
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know ASA eliminated the requirement for a caught foul ball (with an upward and downward arc) for an out to go above the batter's head in 2006...
What you "know" actually isn't true at all.

There has never been a rule that said a foul ball had to travel any given height before it could be caught as a fly ball for an out. That was a rule myth, one of those misperceptions that got repeated over and over again.

What the old rule said was that if a batted ball went higher than the batter's head, then it could not be ruled as a foul tip. Somehow, people twisted that around to assume that a pop foul had to go a certain height, when what it was actually saying was that a foul tip could NOT go a certain height.

Regardless, NFHS doesn't have anything in their rule about any batted ball going "higher than the batter's head". My recollection is that they removed that from the foul tip definition about a year after ASA did (but I'd have to dig through my old rule books to confirm that).
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys! I tried to find it, and just couldn't nail it down. My catcher performed the exact same maneuver yesterday as portrayed in that example. PU called the batter out. Field umpire (who was not asked) overruled the PU and said "foul ball" because it didn't clear the height of her head. We got the out with the very next pitch, but I knew he was citing a rule that was changed many years ago.
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
What you "know" actually isn't true at all.

There has never been a rule that said a foul ball had to travel any given height before it could be caught as a fly ball for an out. That was a rule myth, one of those misperceptions that got repeated over and over again.

What the old rule said was that if a batted ball went higher than the batter's head, then it could not be ruled as a foul tip. Somehow, people twisted that around to assume that a pop foul had to go a certain height, when what it was actually saying was that a foul tip could NOT go a certain height.

Regardless, NFHS doesn't have anything in their rule about any batted ball going "higher than the batter's head". My recollection is that they removed that from the foul tip definition about a year after ASA did (but I'd have to dig through my old rule books to confirm that).
Interesting. Amazing how myths like that take off. Thanks.
Old Sun May 28, 2017, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks guys! I tried to find it, and just couldn't nail it down. My catcher performed the exact same maneuver yesterday as portrayed in that example. PU called the batter out. Field umpire (who was not asked) overruled the PU and said "foul ball" because it didn't clear the height of her head. We got the out with the very next pitch, but I knew he was citing a rule that was changed many years ago.
Where are you getting officials that overrule each other. NO OFFICIAL MAY EVER OVERRULE ANOTHERS CALL. Further, an official may not give input on another officials call unless requested by the calling official.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Where are you getting officials that overrule each other. NO OFFICIAL MAY EVER OVERRULE ANOTHERS CALL. Further, an official may not give input on another officials call unless requested by the calling official.
I know. Trust me, I know. I sent you a PM to answer your question.