The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
As I said, seems obvious, but glad I know I can say so to those who differ.

Another Q, starting with U3 at 2nd and no chasing,
Is it ever appropriate or expected for U3 to cover 3rd?
If so, if and when?
Cecil, I know you know this, but: If U3 is at 2nd, we have R1. With no chase, PU should rotate to 3B for a potential play, U1 should rotate home if PU goes to 3rd, and U3 should pick up the batter-runner and R1 if she stop at 2B. It is not expected that U3 should have to make a call at 3B. We always want to rotate in the opposite direction of the base runners.

Now, is it possible that the plate umpire falls down, and U3 reads this and deviates to make the call? Yes, and that is an appropriate time for U3 to bust a*s and get the best possible angle. U1 is too far away to have credibility here.

My Google-fu is weak this morning, but somewhere out on Youtube there is a video of HP umpire Mike Bartling making a call on the batter-runner at 2B. Find that one in the manual.
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Cecil, I know you know this, but: If U3 is at 2nd, we have R1. With no chase, PU should rotate to 3B for a potential play, U1 should rotate home if PU goes to 3rd, and U3 should pick up the batter-runner and R1 if she stop at 2B. It is not expected that U3 should have to make a call at 3B. We always want to rotate in the opposite direction of the base runners.

Now, is it possible that the plate umpire falls down, and U3 reads this and deviates to make the call? Yes, and that is an appropriate time for U3 to bust a*s and get the best possible angle. U1 is too far away to have credibility here.

My Google-fu is weak this morning, but somewhere out on Youtube there is a video of HP umpire Mike Bartling making a call on the batter-runner at 2B. Find that one in the manual.
I was pretty sure of that, but I have not been U3 for a while and want to get all of it in my head.
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are a couple of possible reasons for this to happen.

In 2 man, if the BU stays foul ground on a play on the BR at 1st, and the ball gets by, PU is expected to bust up the middle to take 2nd.

In 3 man, if both U1 and U3 chase, or if U3 chases but U1 gets pinned, then, again, a good PU will pick up the BR at 2nd.

MB would certainly fit the description of a good PU.
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In 2 man, if the BU stays foul ground on a play on the BR at 1st, and the ball gets by, PU is expected to bust up the middle to take 2nd.
Is that in all sanctions?

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue May 23, 2017 at 04:35pm.
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that in all sanctions?
IMO, yes, it's just good crew teamwork. Of course, ASA/USA mechanics indicate that if the base umpire in 2-man goes to foul ground for a call at 1B, Cthulhu will emerge from his watery lair and spread madness over the face of the earth. I kid, I kid....kind of.
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IMO, yes, it's just good crew teamwork. Of course, ASA/USA mechanics indicate that if the base umpire in 2-man goes to foul ground for a call at 1B, Cthulhu will emerge from his watery lair and spread madness over the face of the earth. I kid, I kid....kind of.

I meant, by the book!
Old Tue May 23, 2017, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I meant, by the book!
By the book, USA/ASA doesn't acknowledge that a BU might EVER need to stay foul ground to avoid interfering with a play at 1st, or to see the play develop; therefore, there is no approved mechanic to address that.

Now, having said that, if it actually happens, PU would get great kudos for covering 2nd as an adjustment.

NCAA makes it a standard coverage if/when it happens (with a perceived higher level BU making the decision to stay foul ground, mind you). I would expect MB to react on that basis, no matter what the game on YouTube represented.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue May 23, 2017 at 11:06pm.
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the book, USA/ASA doesn't acknowledge that a BU might EVER need to stay foul ground to avoid interfering with a play at 1st, or to see the play develop; therefore, there is no approved mechanic to address that.
As I thought and why I asked.

Quote:
NCAA makes it a standard coverage if/when it happens
As does USSSA.