The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
having not called 3 man rotation and knowing our board is moving to 3 man; I'm trying to get a jump before fall ball.

With trail opposite table. Trail calls a foul (non shooting)
Trail reports fouls and moves to lead. Lead moves to trail and administers the thrown-up Correct?

With the new rules coming into effect, will officials rotate opposite the table on non shooting fouls when the foul is in the front court, but goes backcourt. Will there be rotations opposite the table when A1 is throwing the ball in after a made basket and is fouled in the backcourt?

On shooting fouls the calling official always ends up as the C Correct?

Thanks in advance
Stewart
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb NF Mechanics I am talking here.

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
having not called 3 man rotation and knowing our board is moving to 3 man; I'm trying to get a jump before fall ball.
Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

With trail opposite table. Trail calls a foul (non shooting)
Trail reports fouls and moves to lead. Lead moves to trail and administers the thrown-up Correct?
No. If the Trail calls the foul and the ball is going to be put on the sideline, the Trail goes back to same spot. Unless there has been a change, this is how it is done. Now if for some reason the trail calls a foul, which might change sides of the floor (where the ball is put in) you might be the C. But that last one is rare.

Quote:

With the new rules coming into effect, will officials rotate opposite the table on non shooting fouls when the foul is in the front court, but goes backcourt. Will there be rotations opposite the table when A1 is throwing the ball in after a made basket and is fouled in the backcourt?
I do not know what new rules affect any kind of change here. Maybe you could explain what change you think is being made? Nothing has change as far as I am aware of.

Quote:

On shooting fouls the calling official always ends up as the C Correct?

Yes. Since the C is always opposite table when the you are shooting FT and is the only official that is opposite table, you go opposite table no matter what.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Some simple prinicples:

1- Calling official always goes opposite table.

2- If you are not the calling official and you are tableside, you will not switch. You may rotate but you do will switch.

3- I'm pretty sure the NFHS will re-institute the long switch on calls that change possession, and thus, FC to BC. The Fed only did it two years ago because the NCAA said it was good. Then the NCAA changed it. This is the first year since then that a mechanics manual has been printed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall

3- I'm pretty sure the NFHS will re-institute the long switch on calls that change possession, and thus, FC to BC. The Fed only did it two years ago because the NCAA said it was good. Then the NCAA changed it. This is the first year since then that a mechanics manual has been printed. [/B][/QUOTE]

What about long switches when there is no change of possession
IE the new trail tableside in A1 backcourt calls a foul on B1 Does the Trail remain the trail and makes the throw in or does the trail move to the C?

Many thanks
Stew
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 07:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Just a little interesting tidbit:

I was at a college women's camp this weekend where I heard, for the first time, that college men will be going tableside this season after calling fouls, just like the women.

That should mean that in a few years the NFHS will follow suit as well.

First time I worked that mechanic this weekend and I *love* it. Walk through the players and report while walking. Just when you're done reporting, you're at the spot where you need to be and you can get any subs at that point, too. GREAT mechanic.

Some of the court coverages for college women still seem weird to me, but I won't judge until I work way more games using this system.

Rich
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
That should mean that in a few years the NFHS will follow suit as well.
Not necessarily. The reasoning for putting the official on the side of the court, away from the coach, is solid. What goes on between coaches and officials on the college level is a little different than high school. I'm not sure high school coaches or officials are ready for it. My guess is you'd see a huge jump in the number of technical fouls on coaches.

Quote:
What about long switches when there is no change of possession
IE the new trail tableside in A1 backcourt calls a foul on B1 Does the Trail remain the trail and makes the throw in or does the trail move to the C?
Before the long switch was eliminated, the manual called for the T to move to C.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:

I was at a college women's camp this weekend where I heard, for the first time, that college men will be going tableside this season after calling fouls, just like the women.

First time I worked that mechanic this weekend and I *love* it. Walk through the players and report while walking. Just when you're done reporting, you're at the spot where you need to be and you can get any subs at that point, too. GREAT mechanic.

NCAA Men are still going to stop to report, then go table side. Walking and talking are only going to be allowed on the women's side (guess that shows which officials can multitask best )
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:

NCAA Men are still going to stop to report, then go table side. Walking and talking are only going to be allowed on the women's side (guess that shows which officials can multitask best )

Hmmmm...I was told last week men "walk & talk" then go table side.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like the "higher ups" have not determined who will get their way yet. I am sure that there will be a definitive directive before October.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like the "higher ups" have not determined who will get their way yet. I am sure that there will be a definitive directive before October.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Dan, at Nationwide this past weekend, Edgar used the phrase "walk and talk" on the first day. Several us started using it. I even liked it. But then, Edgar corrected himself and told us that the walk and talk is for the women's side only. So we still bolted to the table, stopped, then reported.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Dan, at Nationwide this past weekend, Edgar used the phrase "walk and talk" on the first day. Several us started using it. I even liked it. But then, Edgar corrected himself and told us that the walk and talk is for the women's side only. So we still bolted to the table, stopped, then reported.
Thanks. Guess I'll walk & talk for 2 more days and stop & report in a few weeks.