The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Rotation Question

Here's a situation that happened to us last night.

I am C, A has ball on strong side, ball moves to lane and get loose coming to my side, I am on ball. I see L close down but not come across. Ball get picked up by B and play goes opposite way. New L has fast break and foul at basket opposite my side. I am still C but old L comes up on me. Neither myself (C) or T caught L rotation since play occurred quickly.

Who is responsible for correcting the rotation?

Thanks for the help.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyss10 View Post

I am C, A has ball on strong side, ball moves to lane and get loose coming to my side, I am on ball. I see L close down but not come across. Ball get picked up by B and play goes opposite way. New L has fast break and foul at basket opposite my side. I am still C but old L comes up on me. Neither myself (C) or T caught L rotation since play occurred quickly.

Thanks for the help.
Old L /New T
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Possibly it happened too fast, but as the old L (who knows I might have hung my partners out to dry) I would crossover and fill in.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

This is what I thought, since new T has entire court/play in front of them. Thanks for letting me know. R did not discuss this in pregame.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This is what I thought, since new T has entire court/play in front of them. Thanks for letting me know. R did not discuss this in pregame.
U2 or U1 can bring it up in pregame as well.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"If we're out of position, fill in."

It should hardly need to be said (unless you have some very new-to-three-person officials).
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
U2 or U1 can bring it up in pregame as well.
You are correct, thanks
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think there is a reason to pregame this. If I am the lead and I go late and neither of the other officials notice, I'll slide back as I work my way up court. However, if only one of the other officials noticed and we have a situation where we have 2 Cs moving down the court with me trailing behind one of them as the new T, I'm yelling at whoever is in front of me at that moment telling him to go.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:40pm
High Five Master

Great info here. I never get to do 3 man since only one conference here hires it full time, so this is great stuff for lil fish like me. Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I don't think there is a reason to pregame this. If I am the lead and I go late and neither of the other officials notice, I'll slide back as I work my way up court. However, if only one of the other officials noticed and we have a situation where we have 2 Cs moving down the court with me trailing behind one of them as the new T, I'm yelling at whoever is in front of me at that moment telling him to go.
Old T had moved down to new L and I recognized it and stayed at C, the old L came up on me calling my name like I needed to move down. Fortunately play went dead with foul, just wanted clarification in cases we have situation again during live ball.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I'm trying to envision what you're saying here and I'm having a tough time illustrating it in my head. You'd tell the C to cross? Or tell him to go to L?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Old T had moved down to new L and I recognized it and stayed at C, the old L came up on me calling my name like I needed to move down. Fortunately play went dead with foul, just wanted clarification in cases we have situation again during live ball.
Right, so in this case, if one official becomes the new L, the old lead (that rotated late), should adjust to his partners and move to the other side of the floor. You didn't do anything wrong.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm trying to envision what you're saying here and I'm having a tough time illustrating it in my head. You'd tell the C to cross? Or tell him to go to L?
C on T on same side, C would go to L, filling in,
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
If I am the Lead and I rotate, the old C should become the new Trail. Once we go the other way, this person should become the new Lead. If they do not recognize my rotation, they will remain as the C.

If the old Trail did recognize my rotation, he will slide down and become the new C. As we go the other way, he will remain C.

In this situation where the old C doesn't recognize the rotation (he should be the New Trail transitioning to New Lead), I would yell at him as I run behind him to tell him to move to the new Lead position.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
C on T on same side, C would go to L, filling in,
That's what I was thinking he meant, but for whatever reason I was struggling. Hope that's not a preview of things to come tonight!