The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Female softball players language

Many umps I know have talked about this for a long time. We did an event last weekend and the vile, sexual, language that was coming out of these females mouths was worse than any men's league I have even done.

None of it was directed at us but most of these teams I do would rival drunken sailors with their language. Again this is never at the umpires just the constant disgusting crap they talk to each other is unreal. In the slow pitch rec leagues they are grabbing ass all the time.

Both my daughters played college volleyball so I have been around hs, club and college VB players all the time and have never heard the stuff I hear from the softball girls.

Anyone else see this on a regular basis?
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyball View Post
Many umps I know have talked about this for a long time. We did an event last weekend and the vile, sexual, language that was coming out of these females mouths was worse than any men's league I have even done.

None of it was directed at us but most of these teams I do would rival drunken sailors with their language. Again this is never at the umpires just the constant disgusting crap they talk to each other is unreal. In the slow pitch rec leagues they are grabbing ass all the time.

Both my daughters played college volleyball so I have been around hs, club and college VB players all the time and have never heard the stuff I hear from the softball girls.

Never.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 02:38pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I've heard a few choice remarks in a women's fast pitch league I worked in Virginia a few years ago when I lived up there. But these were adult women in their 20s and older. And when I played co-ed slow pitch, some of our females were known to let loose on occasion.

But I have never heard anything as you describe it in college ball or below. Yeah, there's the occasional utterance of a curse word out of frustration, almost always under breath that I can only hear when I'm standing close to the player.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I've heard a few choice remarks in a women's fast pitch league I worked in Virginia a few years ago when I lived up there. But these were adult women in their 20s and older. And when I played co-ed slow pitch, some of our females were known to let loose on occasion.

But I have never heard anything as you describe it in college ball or below. Yeah, there's the occasional utterance of a curse word out of frustration, almost always under breath that I can only hear when I'm standing close to the player.
I agree. I've seen it much more among "adults" playing slow pitch and rec. league ballgames than I have ever with 18 and under players. Here's where it gets funny (and sad) in my own personal observations over the years--I've seen these same potty-mouth disgusting "adults" take their own kids out of Little League because the coach yelled at a player or some parent smoked a cigarette 50 yards away from the field. Then the REAL reason shows the next weekend because the "adults" were more interested in playing slow pitch than taking their own kids to Little League. As a result, the kids end up standing behind the fence babysitting themselves while mommy and daddy are standing on the field with a cooler of Budweiser in the dugout.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I agree. Nothing objectionable that I have heard in 30 years of youth games. Oh, sorry, one "bad f8888888" game after a close loss and off the field. I have driven a school bus with middle school "students"; whom I wish were as clean mouthed as the players I umpire.

Gender does not matter, polite is polite, vulgar is vulgar.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I agree. Nothing objectionable that I have heard in 30 years of youth games. Oh, sorry, one "bad f8888888" game after a close loss and off the field. I have driven a school bus with middle school "students"; whom I wish were as clean mouthed as the players I umpire.

Gender does not matter, polite is polite, vulgar is vulgar.
But it's kind of cute when say, a JV catcher messes up, starts to go "Shiiiii..", and notices you looking, and tries to stop herself

All I can do is laugh....
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Slow Pitch - situation normal, happens every game.

Fast Pitch - never. One more reason I prefer to call Fast Pitch.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
Slow Pitch - situation normal, happens every game.

Fast Pitch - never. One more reason I prefer to call Fast Pitch.
You must have not called Men's FP.....
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Ah Men's Fastpitch....the reason that "horrible" is one of my Magic Words. It's a weird game where you have to let bullsh!t slide, because otherwise you wouldn't have enough players left to finish the third inning.

To add to the OP, I've personally noticed more foul language on the field the last two years in particular. I was working a JV game where the F3's every third word was a cuss, and that's when she was chatting with teammates. A varsity HS batter mumbled "G-dammit" to herself after every strike, called or swinging. Last weekend, I had to quietly remind a JC player that audible F-bombs were grounds for automatic ejection (conference rule), but luckily I have somewhat poor hearing. That said, it's no worse than the language I used when I was that age...nor is it any worse than my casual pottymouth. Thankfully, my games lately have been free of any grabassery.

Last edited by teebob21; Tue May 02, 2017 at 12:37pm.
Old Wed May 03, 2017, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyball View Post

Yes, and really don't care.
Old Wed May 03, 2017, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
We don't have any men's fast pitch here. I should not have made the generalization without the qualifier of "girl's fast pitch"!