The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Different Language

I got an email from an official, today, that posed an interesting question.

I'll post his e and my reply.

Dan,

I know the seasons almost over but I was doing a girls middle school game the other day at Generic middle school and a player from Generic said something in Spanish, and I don't know what it means, but it was directed to the opposing player but what can I do next time I hear something in a different language?

Sent from my iPhone

My reply, with his named changed.

Great question XXXXX...I would say this might have to be a "you have to be there" moment to come to an ultimate decision on what to do.

If, in your judgement, the player spoke to the other player in an unsporting manner and/or got a negative response from the girl spoken to... you could issue an unsporting Technical foul on the mouthy player. (It's not WHAT she said, it's HOW she said it.)

It would be your call to determine if, in fact, the "talking" player was taunting/baiting/etc. the opposing player.

You might also just say, "knock off the talk, you are bothering her."

You might also have a short word with the coach about the behavior and your concerns.

This may be a little off topic...but when two people, you know, are talking a different language and there is just three of us in a small room. To me...this is like the two individuals whispering to each other...it is rude IMO.

Keep up the good work!

Dan
Richland, WA

Last edited by Adam; Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:16pm. Reason: removed school name
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I had a game once in which a boy yelled something at an opponent in a foreign language. He got a flagrant T. Unfortunately for him, I speak Yiddish. Oy vey.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And No Worse For The Wear ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had a game once in which a boy yelled something at an opponent in a foreign language. He got a flagrant T. Unfortunately for him, I speak Yiddish. Oy vey.
It's official. He's back.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's official. He's back.
I've been back on the Board for a while, but no games this season due to my heart surgery. I still have no idea if I will be back working games at all. I won't know that for about another six months or so.

Apparently, I missed telling one assignor about my surgery. He called me the other afternoon to fill in at a game that evening. On the phone, we discussed my condition, swapped a few jokes and then he wished me a speedy recovery.

Guys - I really wish I was able to get out on the court, but staying up to date here on the Board is at least some comfort. Keep posting, dudes and dudettes.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I got an email from an official, today, that posed an interesting question.

I'll post his e and my reply.

Dan,

I know the seasons almost over but I was doing a girls middle school game the other day at xxxxx middle school and a player from xxxxx said something in Spanish, and I don't know what it means, but it was directed to the opposing player but what can I do next time I hear something in a different language?

Sent from my iPhone

My reply, with his named changed.

Great question XXXXX...I would say this might have to be a "you have to be there" moment to come to an ultimate decision on what to do.

If, in your judgement, the player spoke to the other player in an unsporting manner and/or got a negative response from the girl spoken to... you could issue an unsporting Technical foul on the mouthy player. (It's not WHAT she said, it's HOW she said it.)

It would be your call to determine if, in fact, the "talking" player was taunting/baiting/etc. the opposing player.

You might also just say, "knock off the talk, you are bothering her."

You might also have a short word with the coach about the behavior and your concerns.

This may be a little off topic...but when two people, you know, are talking a different language and there is just three of us in a small room. To me...this is like the two individuals whispering to each other...it is rude IMO.

Keep up the good work!

Dan
You might also change the school name to something more generic....
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
it's official. He's back.
+1
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 11:30pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Did he say Kishmere en Tuchas
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 09:31am
beware big brother

I am going with a T in this situation. I dont see any reason for the player to use a language other than english to talk to an opposing player except that they are trying to hide what they are saying.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been back on the Board for a while, but no games this season due to my heart surgery. I still have no idea if I will be back working games at all. I won't know that for about another six months or so.

Apparently, I missed telling one assignor about my surgery. He called me the other afternoon to fill in at a game that evening. On the phone, we discussed my condition, swapped a few jokes and then he wished me a speedy recovery.

Guys - I really wish I was able to get out on the court, but staying up to date here on the Board is at least some comfort. Keep posting, dudes and dudettes.
Mark I've only been part of this board for a few years but I always look forward to your contributions and I do hope that next year you are able to be on the court! I think I posted earlier that my dad had open heart surgery at 85 and was back swimming and exercising daily about 6 months after his surgery. If he can do that ... Continued good health and recovery!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 11:06am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Did he say Kishmere en Tuchas
No, he called him a shtooping mumser!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 12:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I once ejected a baseball player who yelled at a base umpire in the Netherlands in Dutch. Had no clue what he was saying.

Coach asked me how I could eject him when I didn't understand the language. I told him I didn't need to know the language to know how he said what he said.

I found out later that the player was referring to the female anatomy in a not-so-nice way. I also found out that some of the umpires there are intimidated and avoid ejecting anyone because they fear losing game assignments. You know, like here.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 05:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Is the plural of 'that guy' 'those guys'?