The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Batter in fair ball territory

A left handed slap hitter runs forward as the pitch approaches. When she doesn't swing she ends up half way to the circle. We've all seen it. In this instance the batter stays where she ended up, takes her practice swings, and even gets her signal from the coach before getting back in the box. By what rule, if any, might we prevent her from hanging out in fair territory when the ball is live? (NFHS & USA please)

Also, there was a passed ball & the pitcher covered home. On her way back to the circle the pitcher was struck by the bat of the batter loitering between home plate & the circle. Some say, oops it's an accident, others say warning for being reckless with the bat. Thoughts?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

First part - nothing. Why would you? Did she interfere with anything? (If she does, punish accordingly).

Second part - if you divine intent, punish accordingly. If you don't... a warning that she needs to not be swinging her bat carelessly on the field is probably in order.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Second part - if you divine intent, punish accordingly. If you don't... a warning that she needs to not be swinging her bat carelessly on the field is probably in order.
USA

7.6.T When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.

This one could be a bit dicey because you'd have to decide there was intent, but the interference was with a player attempting to make a play, not with the ball.

7.6.U When interfering with a play at home plate.

And there are effects and exceptions.

This seems like a better choice.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
Also, there was a passed ball & the pitcher covered home. On her way back to the circle the pitcher was struck by the bat of the batter loitering between home plate & the circle. Some say, oops it's an accident, others say warning for being reckless with the bat. Thoughts?
Never understood the need for practice swings once the player becomes the batter. If you didn't know how to swing the bat by that point, extra swings at the air isn't going to help
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
USA

7.6.T When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.

This one could be a bit dicey because you'd have to decide there was intent, but the interference was with a player attempting to make a play, not with the ball.

How can these be a better choice ... neither of them apply at all to what happened in the OP. There was no action happening when the bat hit the pitcher - no interference (intentional or not) with a thrown ball; no interference with a play at home. Just a pitcher walking back to her spot. If accidental, warn the batter not to be careless; if intentional - bye Felicia.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
USA

I don't see a thrown ball or a play in the OP.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Never understood the need for practice swings once the player becomes the batter. If you didn't know how to swing the bat by that point, extra swings at the air isn't going to help
Yeah, I end up ducking them a lot; but not a practice swing, but checking/correcting muscle memory.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

In USA Softball there is 7.3.D for JO Play that says they have to stay in the box with listed exceptions. Although slapping in an exception, in my opinion this is game management. They are allowed to run out the front of the box, but need to get back to their area, not hang out there in fair territory.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 10:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Candidly, I don't have a problem with where she ends up and what she does out there. There is no rule that says she must immediately return to the box or foul territory to get her sign. If she stays out there and hinders a play, then we rule accordingly.

Yeah, I suppose the one-foot-in-the-box rule in USA Softball would be appropriate if you really felt the need to address this within that organization. But even there, the requirement to immediately return to the box under the eight listed exceptions does not exist. We just have to be cognizant of the rule's intent--unnecessary game delays. As long as she gets back in the box with both feet and is ready for the pitch within ten seconds, I don't see why we have to be concerned with her hanging in fair territory after failing to execute the slap. But that's just me.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
How can these be a better choice ... neither of them apply at all to what happened in the OP. There was no action happening when the bat hit the pitcher - no interference (intentional or not) with a thrown ball; no interference with a play at home. Just a pitcher walking back to her spot. If accidental, warn the batter not to be careless; if intentional - bye Felicia.
My bad. I mis-read and thought the pitcher was hit with the bat while covering the plate.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My bad. I mis-read and thought the pitcher was hit with the bat while covering the plate.
https://www.eyebuydirect.com/eyeglas...FZyPswodDhcPCA

Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Your same illogical thought would apply at any time wouldn't it?

Basically, you botched up the last swing so you are re-programming.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 12:39pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Your same illogical thought would apply at any time wouldn't it?
Rich, glad to see you're still around, and you're just as ornery as ever!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
You're cold, Ceese.