The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm hoping that I didn't screw this up.

I ruled there was no intent, therefore, no penalty.

Batter bunts ball and DROPS bat and the ball rolled up against it...The coach wanted the batter to be called out but I ruled there was no intent AND the ball rolled up against the bat.

I recall reading in the PBUC manual ( I think) that if the ball rolls against the bat there is no penalty but if the ball hits the ball there is a penalty.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that I got my call right but does anyone recall reading about the bat hitting the ball (not the ball hitting the bat)?

Thanks Guys.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

PBUC 4.16:

"If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire's judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play."

(It's apparently not automatically fair, though. If it goes foul, it's a foul ball. But if ball hits bat in foul territory, it's automatically foul.)

"If after hitting or bunting a fair ball, the batter's bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory, the batter is out and the ball is dead."

However, the Fed case book seems to allow "bat hits ball" as long as it's not intentional. (Ignore the case book's erroneous, misleading grammar: batter . . . hits the ball . . . and is either touched . . . and/or comes to rest. . . .):

2.9.1 Situation D: Batter unintentionally hits the ball a second time in (a) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in fair territory; (b) foul territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in either fair or foul territory; or (c) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in foul territory. Ruling: In (a) and (c), the ball is fair. In (b), the ball is foul.

Also note apparent agreement with PBUC:

2.16.1 Situation B: B1's bunt rolls up the first-base line where it hits B1's bat that was lying on the ground in fair territory. The ball deflects into foul territory. Is the ball fair or foul? Ruling: The ball is foul, provided the bat was not placed there intentionally. The bat is considered to be part of the playing field.

If I am reading the case book correctly, 2.9.1 Situation D part (c) says, "Bat hits fair ball, ball goes foul = FAIR ball," while 2.16.1 Situation B says, "Fair ball hits bat, ball goes foul = FOUL ball."

So in Fed, if moving bat contacts moving fair ball, the umpire has to determine whether bat or ball did the hitting, as fair/foul status hangs in the balance if the ball rolls into foul territory.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

6.05(h)
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Guys. That was very helpful and made me feel better.

Rog, nice to see you again.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

If you had not noticed, I like people who read! Few of us understand this whole business as well as we would like; but, it helps a whole lot when we read the rule books on occassion.
And, your "Welcome....."
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

yup, thats why I come here "Rog", so those that know it all (you) can help me out.

Again, thanks
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Smile

re: "so those that know it all (you)"
Alright - a dream come true at last!!!

Had a game last week working the field where you would not have said this, definitely had my head in a deep dark hole!

Had absolutely no focus for some reason - no excuses.....
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
However, the Fed case book seems to allow "bat hits ball" as long as it's not intentional. (Ignore the case book's erroneous, misleading grammar: batter . . . hits the ball . . . and is either touched . . . and/or comes to rest. . . .):

2.9.1 Situation D: Batter unintentionally hits the ball a second time in (a) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in fair territory; (b) foul territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in either fair or foul territory; or (c) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in foul territory. Ruling: In (a) and (c), the ball is fair. In (b), the ball is foul.

Also note apparent agreement with PBUC:

2.16.1 Situation B: B1's bunt rolls up the first-base line where it hits B1's bat that was lying on the ground in fair territory. The ball deflects into foul territory. Is the ball fair or foul? Ruling: The ball is foul, provided the bat was not placed there intentionally. The bat is considered to be part of the playing field.

If I am reading the case book correctly, 2.9.1 Situation D part (c) says, "Bat hits fair ball, ball goes foul = FAIR ball," while 2.16.1 Situation B says, "Fair ball hits bat, ball goes foul = FOUL ball."

So in Fed, if moving bat contacts moving fair ball, the umpire has to determine whether bat or ball did the hitting, as fair/foul status hangs in the balance if the ball rolls into foul territory.
Actually, I think the FED distiction is on whether the batter is still holding the bat. I think that's what is meant by "Batter unintentionally hits the ball" in 2.9.1D

See also 8.4.1A for a similar play.

So, if the batter holds the bat and unintentionally hits the ball:
(a) in the batter's box -- foul ball
(b) outside the batter's box in fair territory -- fair ball (see 2-5-1f)
(c) outside the batter's box in foul territory -- foul ball