The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Batter in fair ball territory (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102459-batter-fair-ball-territory.html)

dlsumpntx Thu Mar 23, 2017 07:57am

Batter in fair ball territory

A left handed slap hitter runs forward as the pitch approaches. When she doesn't swing she ends up half way to the circle. We've all seen it. In this instance the batter stays where she ended up, takes her practice swings, and even gets her signal from the coach before getting back in the box. By what rule, if any, might we prevent her from hanging out in fair territory when the ball is live? (NFHS & USA please)

Also, there was a passed ball & the pitcher covered home. On her way back to the circle the pitcher was struck by the bat of the batter loitering between home plate & the circle. Some say, oops it's an accident, others say warning for being reckless with the bat. Thoughts?

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 23, 2017 08:20am

First part - nothing. Why would you? Did she interfere with anything? (If she does, punish accordingly).

Second part - if you divine intent, punish accordingly. If you don't... a warning that she needs to not be swinging her bat carelessly on the field is probably in order.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003190)
Second part - if you divine intent, punish accordingly. If you don't... a warning that she needs to not be swinging her bat carelessly on the field is probably in order.

USA

7.6.T When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.

This one could be a bit dicey because you'd have to decide there was intent, but the interference was with a player attempting to make a play, not with the ball.

7.6.U When interfering with a play at home plate.

And there are effects and exceptions.

This seems like a better choice.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlsumpntx (Post 1003189)
Also, there was a passed ball & the pitcher covered home. On her way back to the circle the pitcher was struck by the bat of the batter loitering between home plate & the circle. Some say, oops it's an accident, others say warning for being reckless with the bat. Thoughts?

Never understood the need for practice swings once the player becomes the batter. If you didn't know how to swing the bat by that point, extra swings at the air isn't going to help

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1003196)
USA

7.6.T When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.

This one could be a bit dicey because you'd have to decide there was intent, but the interference was with a player attempting to make a play, not with the ball.

How can these be a better choice ... neither of them apply at all to what happened in the OP. There was no action happening when the bat hit the pitcher - no interference (intentional or not) with a thrown ball; no interference with a play at home. Just a pitcher walking back to her spot. If accidental, warn the batter not to be careless; if intentional - bye Felicia.

CecilOne Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1003196)
USA

I don't see a thrown ball or a play in the OP.

CecilOne Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1003197)
Never understood the need for practice swings once the player becomes the batter. If you didn't know how to swing the bat by that point, extra swings at the air isn't going to help

Yeah, I end up ducking them a lot; but not a practice swing, but checking/correcting muscle memory. ;) :p :)

DaveASA/FED Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00am

In USA Softball there is 7.3.D for JO Play that says they have to stay in the box with listed exceptions. Although slapping in an exception, in my opinion this is game management. They are allowed to run out the front of the box, but need to get back to their area, not hang out there in fair territory.

Manny A Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:54am

Candidly, I don't have a problem with where she ends up and what she does out there. There is no rule that says she must immediately return to the box or foul territory to get her sign. If she stays out there and hinders a play, then we rule accordingly.

Yeah, I suppose the one-foot-in-the-box rule in USA Softball would be appropriate if you really felt the need to address this within that organization. But even there, the requirement to immediately return to the box under the eight listed exceptions does not exist. We just have to be cognizant of the rule's intent--unnecessary game delays. As long as she gets back in the box with both feet and is ready for the pitch within ten seconds, I don't see why we have to be concerned with her hanging in fair territory after failing to execute the slap. But that's just me.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003200)
How can these be a better choice ... neither of them apply at all to what happened in the OP. There was no action happening when the bat hit the pitcher - no interference (intentional or not) with a thrown ball; no interference with a play at home. Just a pitcher walking back to her spot. If accidental, warn the batter not to be careless; if intentional - bye Felicia.

My bad. I mis-read and thought the pitcher was hit with the bat while covering the plate.

CecilOne Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1003216)
My bad. I mis-read and thought the pitcher was hit with the bat while covering the plate.

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/eyeglas...FZyPswodDhcPCA

:D :p :D :p :D

Rich Ives Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1003197)

Your same illogical thought would apply at any time wouldn't it? :D

Basically, you botched up the last swing so you are re-programming.

Manny A Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1003221)
Your same illogical thought would apply at any time wouldn't it? :D

Rich, glad to see you're still around, and you're just as ornery as ever! :D:p

Tru_in_Blu Thu Mar 23, 2017 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1003220)

You're cold, Ceese. ;)