The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Girls softball

How many pitches does the starting pitcher get to start the first inning. I have been told 8 but I can not find it in the rule book. 6-2 art 5 states they only get 5.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

You have found your answer. One caveat, its not simply 5 pitches. Its not more than 1 minute to deliver not more than 5 pitches.

Last edited by RKBUmp; Wed Mar 22, 2017 at 09:20am.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
You have found your answer. One caveat, its not simply 5 pitches. Its not more than 1 minute to deliver not more than 5 pitches.
The rule is primarily one minute (rarely enforced) with a 5 pitch secondary limit. Both are allowed to be exceeded in inclement weather or when the umpire is busy with other matters.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

It's 8 in NFHS baseball. Maybe that's where whoever told you this was confused.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Be sure that you enforce it too - if the defensive team is slow coming out, or if the catcher had up/on base, and no one comes out to warm up the pitcher, don't enable it, and when the catcher finally does come out, tell her, "second one goes down/third one goes down", etc. This happens more with the lower levels, where you get more inexperienced players/coaches. You also have to make sure you are nor going off to talk to your partner or something, showing YOU are ready.

If you are lucky, you will have a team or teams where the kids play travel ball, and after the 1st, the catcher and pitcher will only take three, and keep the game moving.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Be sure that you enforce it too - if the defensive team is slow coming out, or if the catcher had up/on base, and no one comes out to warm up the pitcher, don't enable it, and when the catcher finally does come out, tell her, "second one goes down/third one goes down", etc. This happens more with the lower levels, where you get more inexperienced players/coaches. You also have to make sure you are nor going off to talk to your partner or something, showing YOU are ready.

If you are lucky, you will have a team or teams where the kids play travel ball, and after the 1st, the catcher and pitcher will only take three, and keep the game moving.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post

I agree with both points. Travel ball kids are used to working in time constraints, and they won't dilly dally. If the coaching staff is too lazy to warm up the pitcher in that situation, don't reward them by dragging it out.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

OK, Steve had a pet peeve in another thread, so this is one of mine. We do not tell players what to do.
Catchers and pitchers can be told "last pitch" or ""one more", but not "throw it down".
Players may be told not to play with jewelry, not "take it off".

We don't coach, we don't instruct and we especially don't tell players to do anything that might be wrong or hurtful.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 10:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
OK, Steve had a pet peeve in another thread, so this is one of mine. We do not tell players what to do.
Catchers and pitchers can be told "last pitch" or ""one more", but not "throw it down".
Players may be told not to play with jewelry, not "take it off".

We don't coach, we don't instruct and we especially don't tell players to do anything that might be wrong or hurtful.
Hmmm, interesting. You have a problem with "throw it down"? That's not coaching, that's moving the game along. And, in reality, it's no different than "last pitch" or "one more", because you're telling a player she can't throw an additional pitch.

Coaching is telling a fielder where she shouldn't position herself unless she wants to be guilty of obstruction. Coaching is telling a batter she's too close to the top of the box. Coaching is telling a pitcher as she warms up that she cannot step back anymore like she did in high school.

And there are scenarios where we are required to tell players what to do. If the batter sets up with her foot outside the box, we tell her she has to get both feet in. I just don't see a difference between saying, "You cannot set up with one foot out," and "You need to put both feet in the box."
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And there are scenarios where we are required to tell players what to do. If the batter sets up with her foot outside the box, we tell her she has to get both feet in. I just don't see a difference between saying, "You cannot set up with one foot out," and "You need to put both feet in the box."
That's a rule, have to enforce.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting. You have a problem with "throw it down"? That's not coaching, that's moving the game along. And, in reality, it's no different than "last pitch" or "one more", because you're telling a player she can't throw an additional pitch.
Actually, a throw to 2nd, possibly backed up by the CF, eventually to the pitcher seems longer than a short throw by the catcher to the pitcher.
Besides, maybe the coach did not want the throw or she hurts her arm.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The rule is primarily one minute (rarely enforced) with a 5 pitch secondary limit. Both are allowed to be exceeded in inclement weather or when the umpire is busy with other matters.
I had a HS partner try to charge the pitcher for an instant base on balls for the upcoming batter, because the pitcher threw 9 pitches between innings while I sorted out the paperwork with substitutions for both teams.

And for what it's worth, I personally enforce the one-minute rule every game (edit: when the ruleset includes it). It keeps things moving...and when you're working bad ball, you gotta keep things moving somehow or you end up with a three-hour game with less than an hour of actual playing action.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Mar 27, 2017 at 12:37am.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

The one-minute rule works, and it does indeed keep things moving. If it's a big team with possibly a JV or other backup catcher, suggest to the coaches they use them to warm up the pitcher when the regular catcher is delayed.

Also, I agree with the above statements about throwing it down. Not necessary every time. It's not the end of the world if the PU says "play ball". I sometimes do not like to reveal the arm strength of my catcher until the chips are on the table.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I simply stand next to the catcher, brush in hand and tell them to get rid of the ball or that's enough. Once the catcher releases the ball, I step in and brush the plate (and for those who are thinking, "but what if the plate isn't dirty") EVERY time.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I simply stand next to the catcher, brush in hand and tell them to get rid of the ball or that's enough. Once the catcher releases the ball, I step in and brush the plate (and for those who are thinking, "but what if the plate isn't dirty") EVERY time.
I find I can control catchers without brushing anything.

A National Tourney UIC told us not to use up time brushing anything not dirty.