The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2017, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Need Clarification on Timing Violation

NCAA rule set.

10.18 and 11.2.1 both say that the batter (in batter's box), pitcher (on the pitching plate) and catcher (in the catcher's box) have to be in position within 10 seconds of of the pitcher receiving the ball in preparation to pitch.

Question #1: People in my area are saying that the batter must get in the box first, then the pitcher can get set. I don't understand why this would be. I've asked for the reasoning behind it but haven't received a good answer.

Question #2 - related to Question #1: If both pitcher and batter violate the timing rule, is it a 1-1 count?

This weekend I had a school that one particular batter loved hearing her walk up song (fat bottomed girls). She marches nearly to third base and swings and swings and swings. Most of the time, she took 12-14 seconds. Once was a bit longer. The pitcher waited on her to get in the box before stepping on the plate, so I had nothing - but I'm unsure if I ruled correctly. The opposing coach never said a word (not that that means anything other than he never escalated the topic).

Thanks for your input.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2017, 05:40pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I've always treated it as the ten seconds starts when the pitcher has the ball, which is what the rule states. All three players have to be in their positions within those ten seconds. It's very unlikely that the batter and the defense are going to violate the rule simultaneously, so I don't see a situation where both a ball and a strike are awarded at the same time. And there is no NCAA interpretation that you can have two violations at once. But in the off chance that all three players are fiddle-faddling around and not in position, I'll call Time and tell them, "Let's go, players! We've got ten seconds when she has the ball to get into proper position."

Also, there is no requirement that the batter is the first who has to be in position. If she takes too long and the pitcher is in the circle waiting on her but not on the plate, I'm going to rule a strike on her. Similarly, if the batter is in the box waiting, and then she steps out without Time called, because the pitcher is messing around with her arm band trying to figure out signals, I'll rule a ball on the batter.

At the end of the day, this is nothing more than a game management rule, so use your best judgment how to enforce.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Feb 20, 2017, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Your first question answers itself in the rule. All parties are required to be ready when they are required to be ready. If batter is ready at 9.9, and pitcher still waiting, pitcher has violated; period.

To your more general question, it is never treated as both penalized. Treat the same as if both step out without permission or time granted; tell both to get in and not get out without permission.

As to the described situation, I would always allow a bit of leeway on a new batter stepping in before the first pitch. If 12-13 seconds, so be it; but not 22-23. And not for subsequent pitches during the at-bat. Let her hear her walk-up, let her "groom" the dirt, take a few extra swings; within reason, and only to start the at-bat. Let the pitcher let her primp and preen. Then be precise with the between pitches timing.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

When this rule was implemented several years ago, we were instructed what to do in the case where both the batter and the pitcher violated by not being ready when the time expired....

TIME! Batter..in the box!
Pitcher....on the Pitcher's Plate!

Here we go!