View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2017, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Need Clarification on Timing Violation

NCAA rule set.

10.18 and 11.2.1 both say that the batter (in batter's box), pitcher (on the pitching plate) and catcher (in the catcher's box) have to be in position within 10 seconds of of the pitcher receiving the ball in preparation to pitch.

Question #1: People in my area are saying that the batter must get in the box first, then the pitcher can get set. I don't understand why this would be. I've asked for the reasoning behind it but haven't received a good answer.

Question #2 - related to Question #1: If both pitcher and batter violate the timing rule, is it a 1-1 count?

This weekend I had a school that one particular batter loved hearing her walk up song (fat bottomed girls). She marches nearly to third base and swings and swings and swings. Most of the time, she took 12-14 seconds. Once was a bit longer. The pitcher waited on her to get in the box before stepping on the plate, so I had nothing - but I'm unsure if I ruled correctly. The opposing coach never said a word (not that that means anything other than he never escalated the topic).

Thanks for your input.