The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:31pm
MABO Member

Clarification about Back Court Violation

Ok, A1 is holding the ball in the frontcourt near center line. B1 tightens up D and knocks the ball away from A1 into the backcourt. A1 runs into the backcourt and recovers the ball. What is the call?

Timeline:
A1 possession --- B1 knocks ball away --- ball goes into backcourt (no one else touches ball) --- A1 recovers ball.

I say No call, because B caused ball to enter back court. Partner disagrees saying TC was not lost therfore its a violation.
Rule 12 Art 3 says if a pass is knocked into the backcourt then anyone can recover it. Is this the same?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Rule 12?

Team control was NOT lost, so your partner is correct about that. But it's only a violation if, during team control, Team A is the last to touch the ball before it goes in the backcourt and then is also the first to touch it after it goes into the backcourt.

Since the Team B defender is the last one to touch the ball before it went to the backcourt (by knocking it out of A1's hands), there is no penalty if A1 goes to retrieve it in the backcourt.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

9.9.1 SITUATION C: A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A's frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A's backcourt. A2 recovers in the backcourt. RULING: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:10pm
MABO Member

I see that as well in NCAA rules Nevada about a pass being deflected. I am in agreement with both of you about last to touch then first to touch the ball for it to be a violation. I really want to support it somehow with references that are direct about the situation. I even had a CIS official back me up and he was adamant it was how he was instructed in his camp this year. I just told him to go home after and look it up rather then argue.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I really want to support it somehow with references that are direct about the situation.
Nevada gave you the reference to support the answer. 9.9.1 Situation C
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:18pm
MABO Member

I would have to assume that is NF ruleset since Rule 9.9 is 3 second violation in NCAA rule book. Again thanks guys. In NCAA I can't find the direct reference as above other then when a pass is deflected.

Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:23pm
MABO Member

I am going to finish this thread by appologizing for my momentary brain malfunction. I re-read rule 12 and the first line tells all I need.

Section 12. Ball in Back Court
Art. 1. A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in his or her back
court when the ball came from the front court while the player’s team was
in team control and the player or a teammate caused the ball to go into the
back court.

Thanks Again.

Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I am going to finish this thread by appologizing for my momentary brain malfunction. I re-read rule 12 and the first line tells all I need.

Section 12. Ball in Back Court
Art. 1. A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in his or her back
court when the ball came from the front court while the player’s team was
in team control and the player or a teammate caused the ball to go into the
back court.

Thanks Again.
I just went and looked at the wording of the NCAA rule and that is exactly what I was going to tell you, but you figured it out for yourself.
However, it is SECTION 12 of RULE 9 in the NCAA book.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:30pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I just went and looked at the wording of the NCAA rule and that is exactly what I was going to tell you, but you figured it out for yourself.
However, it is SECTION 12 of RULE 9 in the NCAA book.
Merci, Like I said Brain Cramp. AND IT HURTS .....