The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Interference, or no? How many outs?

ASA 16A. Three umpires. Loser's bracket game, eight teams remaining on Saturday. I am U3.

1 out, R1 on 1B. A relatively routine grounder is hit to F6 and thrown to 2B to F4 for the force out. As F4 turns and begins to release the ball from her glove to throw to 1B, R1 slides into 2B, contacting F4's feet (still on the top of the base) with her feet, and knocking F4 to the ground hard.

EDIT for clarification: The BR is still two+ steps from 1B when this occurs.

What is your call?

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Aug 01, 2016 at 07:33pm.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 07:00pm
High Five Master

Dead ball. Interference by retired runner. So, batter runner is out. This is 16U (high school) softball, not Major League Baseball.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

So now a runner cannot stay upright, cannot continue in a straight line to the base, cannot slide into the base and cannot turn out of the way without being called for interference in any situation?
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
ASA 16A. Three umpires. Loser's bracket game, eight teams remaining on Saturday. I am U3.

1 out, R1 on 1B. A relatively routine grounder is hit to F6 and thrown to 2B to F4 for the force out. As F4 turns and begins to release the ball from her glove to throw to 1B, R1 slides into 2B, contacting F4's feet (still on the top of the base) with her feet, and knocking F4 to the ground hard.

What is your call?
Was the play close at 2nd or was there a possible retired runner?
I guess that is what you are asking?
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Was the play close at 2nd or was there a possible retired runner?
I guess that is what you are asking?
The play at second was not particularly close, regular hammer out. The contact was made by R1 after she was retired.

This play generated a lot of discussion this week. I know, HTBT, and I'll post my ruling next post. I wanted to see what the board thought.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The play at second was not particularly close, regular hammer out. The contact was made by R1 after she was retired.

This play generated a lot of discussion this week. I know, HTBT, and I'll post my ruling next post. I wanted to see what the board thought.
Does ASA softball have the same comment as OBR does regarding interference by a retired runner? Continuing to run the bases is not interference by that act alone. Sliding into a base is continuing to run the bases.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2016, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Does ASA softball have the same comment as OBR does regarding interference by a retired runner? Continuing to run the bases is not interference by that act alone. Sliding into a base is continuing to run the bases.
I believe the statement in asa is continuing to run the bases after being put out and drawing a throw may be considered an act of interference.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Nothing.
^^^ This. And only this.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I don't think there is a call to be made here (except for the out on the on R1), unless by chance the slide was malicious or illegal in some way. Without seeing the slide, my first inclination is to assume it is a routine slide where the play is close enough for the runner to justify sliding.

That said, after reading the OP again, I could see an interpretation of the play that has the runner initiating the slide late (as in too close to the bag such that it is interpreted as malicious) or unnecessarily sliding (as in the runner had time to stop and peel away or kneel to get avoid interfering). In those cases, you could call interference. My gut is still telling me this wasn't one of those instances and thus not interference.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Looks like I am on the losing end of this one. I ruled INT, runner and BR out. It seemed pretty cut-and-dried to me. This was the most obvious attempt to take out a fielder with the ball I'd ever seen in JO play. It seems odd to me that a runner sliding hard into a fielder and knocking her down, preventing a play, is not a case of INT when a runner on her feet who doesn't even make contact with a fielder can be called for INT.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looks like I am on the losing end of this one. I ruled INT, runner and BR out. It seemed pretty cut-and-dried to me. This was the most obvious attempt to take out a fielder with the ball I'd ever seen in JO play. It seems odd to me that a runner sliding hard into a fielder and knocking her down, preventing a play, is not a case of INT when a runner on her feet who doesn't even make contact with a fielder can be called for INT.
Well, you are up against the axiom that a legal slide is always legal contact. Was the slide legal? NFHS defines an illegal slide; ASA does not. If she was sliding into the fielder rather than sliding to acquire the base... ?? You saw it, we didn't.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Dead ball. Interference by retired runner. So, batter runner is out. This is 16U (high school) softball, not Major League Baseball.
Wrong. She did exactly as she is supposed to do. She cannot remain upright, cannot veer to the side.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I believe the statement in asa is continuing to run the bases after being put out and drawing a throw may be considered an act of interference.
This applies if she runs to a base AFTER being put out and someone throws the ball to try to put her out again. Nothing like this scenario.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule Supplement 13....Crash Interference

This talks about remaining upright and crashing into a fielder with the ball.
There is a statement in the RS which reads.....A runner may slide into the fielder.

As described, I have nothing on the OP