The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

2 outs B or C??

I was reading a 2 umpire position manual where it states that with 2 outs and runner's on base that it is acceptable for base umpire to position themselves in position B regardless of the position of the runners.

The belief is that most plays will take place at first base in this situation and being in B gives the umpire a better look at the play. It further explained that the B position gives a good angle for any plays at second and third.

Opinions??
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 03:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

judge your partner, judge the level of play, and read the play, and anticipate where the ball will take you...then get into position. the thought is that since the large majority of plays will occur at 1B that by being in "b" you'll be closer to the play. that being said, you have to do what you feel comfortable doing...
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I find that my angle at 1st is actually preferable at C.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Some guys prefer to be in B with 2 outs and runners at either 2nd, 3rd or both, however, I prefer to work in the C. The reasoning is that most of the time outs don't matter, developing this habbit can sometimes be detrimental - especially if forget the # of outs that have occurred. Also, as soon as the ball is hit, you are going to step up, turn, read the play and adjust for the throw to the bag or potentially a tag.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

The number of outs have NOTHING to do with an umpires position. Where the runners are on base control your position.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgman
The number of outs have NOTHING to do with an umpires position. Where the runners are on base control your position.
You may want to read a few mechanics manuals before you make this statement.

Tim.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
I was reading a 2 umpire position manual where it states that with 2 outs and runner's on base that it is acceptable for base umpire to position themselves in position B regardless of the position of the runners.

The belief is that most plays will take place at first base in this situation and being in B gives the umpire a better look at the play. It further explained that the B position gives a good angle for any plays at second and third.

Opinions??
What manual would you be reading? The only two I give credence to say C with R1 and R2. I can move to B for a play at 1B if I need to.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Opinions??
In Canada the only position for BU with runners' in scoring position is C (4 in the baseball canada manual

http://www.baseball.ca/files/manual2.pdf
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
C= 4 only in Canada. Care to explain. I assume 1 is at 1B and 2 is not at 1B. Where did I go wrrong?
Canada, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it 1-plate, 2-what we call A, 3-what we call B, and 4-what we call C? SA, I believe this is what I read in their manual.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:25pm

Being one to go with what I was taught, I never caught on well with some of the new-fangled mechanics over the years.

When I was taught, the only time we used B was when there was R1 only.

Any other runner situation, we were in C.

Somewhere along the way, they came up with B for R1-R3, and for bases loaded. I tried it a couple of times, but we were given the option, so I stayed with C, and just felt more comfortable. I can get a better angle for third, plus it opens a natural angle for throws behind R3 from F2.

You have to hustle more from C to get in position for plays at first, but if you move around properly, it's no problem at all.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:29pm

I believe D is 5 there.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Two man mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56

Tim.
Can you reference which books talk about outs in relationship to basic positioning?

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Opinions??
We stay in B all the time with our HS crews.

I noticed in college game last week that the umpires are using B even with 3 man crew and runner at 1st or 1st and 2nd.

since I haven't done college in a couple of years was just wondering if that was a change since I used to see them in C most of the time.

As for your question, I prefer B.

thanks
David
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 04:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
We stay in B all the time with our HS crews.

I noticed in college game last week that the umpires are using B even with 3 man crew and runner at 1st or 1st and 2nd.

since I haven't done college in a couple of years was just wondering if that was a change since I used to see them in C most of the time.

As for your question, I prefer B.

thanks
David
B with 1st and 2nd? Even in 3 man? Who covers the steal of 3rd, or worse yet there's a double steal? You're liable to get clocked in the head with a throw to 2nd.

You're saying that there is an umpire in A and an umpire in B, and nobody is going to be in position for a steal of 3rd. And please don't tell me about angle over distance, because on a tag play, that doesn't wash.

I don't see how, without a dedicated 3rd base umpire in D or U3 in C, you can get as good a look with an umpire starting from B on a steal.

I'm not saying you didn't see it. It just goes against any mechanics manual or teaching I've ever heard of.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56

Tim.
Well, how about we start with the NFHS (FED) Umpires Manual Pages 37 -87? No where does it say, in either 2/3 or 4 man mechanics, you are positioned by the number of outs.

-g