The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2016, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Please be more specific in your citation of RS 33.

OP clearly noted there was nothing obviously wrong with the slide. It should be noted the sliding into a player during the execution of a play is not illegal in ASA. For that matter, it is a permissible action, by rule, to avoid an INT call for crashing into the fielder with the ball.
The OP stated that there was nothing obviously wrong with the slide, however he later stated that the

" The runner did not contact the front of the bag, and made no effort to do so that I could see."

There are two options when sliding. Slide to get to the base, or slide to hinder a defensive player.

The first part of RS#33 states the definition of interference. The key part of this is impedes or hinders. The later description of the slide brings into question if this slide was in fact a slide to reach the base or a slide to impede or hinder the defensive player attempting to make the throw to first base.

As I have said previously, this is a HTBT play, but I am not as comfortable with simply stating no interference on this play as I was with the original post because further description of the play has been provided.

The fact ASA rules don't define illegal slide or legal slide leaves the legality of the slide to the judgment of the umpire.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2016, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The OP stated that there was nothing obviously wrong with the slide, however he later stated that the

" The runner did not contact the front of the bag, and made no effort to do so that I could see."

There are two options when sliding. Slide to get to the base, or slide to hinder a defensive player.

The first part of RS#33 states the definition of interference. The key part of this is impedes or hinders. The later description of the slide brings into question if this slide was in fact a slide to reach the base or a slide to impede or hinder the defensive player attempting to make the throw to first base.

As I have said previously, this is a HTBT play, but I am not as comfortable with simply stating no interference on this play as I was with the original post because further description of the play has been provided.

The fact ASA rules don't define illegal slide or legal slide leaves the legality of the slide to the judgment of the umpire.
Please see RS #13 as mentioned in post #15 of this thread.....
Old Fri Aug 12, 2016, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

There was an attempt to define a slide for ASA a few years back, but no one wanted to hear it and I don't believe the proposal ever left a committee with a positive vote.

But to be honest, this game as been played for 83 years with little issue involving the legal/illegal slide. It has always been relatively simple, if it was nasty, the player was ejected for UC. Same can be said for slides at 2B. Not only is it acceptable, it has been (and probably still is) a taught mechanic for base runners.