The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 10:23am

Question

This was discussed during a Cubs rain delay and I couldn't hear the answer. What is the Major league record for the most strike outs recorded by a team in a game AND a half-inning?

The answer might not be so obvious, since they started talking about dropped third strikes and overthrows at first. Does anyone know what the answers is?

This might be a pretty good bar bet.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Most strikeouts by a PITCHER in a half-inning is 4, done 46 times. Not sure if there is a TEAM that has had more than that.

Same for a game: record for a PITCHER in a 9 inning game is 20 (Roger Clemmons and Kerry Wood), 21 in an extra inning game (Tom Cheney). Don't know about a TEAM.

In the games where these pitchers set their per game records, they did not have 4 strikouts in an inning.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I think I heard of a minor league pitcher getting 5 in an inning but don't know how to look it up.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Randy Johnson had 20 k's in 9 innings, but the game went extra innings so he's not on this list.

Does anyone know the most unusual similarity with all of the 20 k games??

Also, this week's SI has a paragraph on a class A pitcher who had 5 k's in one inning!
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Most strike outs, extra inning game
AL-26 California 26, Oakland, July 9, 1971, 20 innings.
Nl-22 New York 22, San Francisco 14, May 31, 1964. second game, 23 innings
Pittsburgh 19, Cincinati 17, September 30, 1964, 16 innings.

Most strike outs by pinch-hitters, 9 inning game, by one club
AL- Detroit vs. New York, Sept 8, 1979.

Most strike outs by pinch-hitters, inning
AL & NL-3 Many times in both leagues.

On a side note here are a couple odd records that you could bet on.

Most consecutive complete games pitched, season (since 1900)
NL-39 Jack W. Taylor, St. Louis, April 15 through October 6, first game, 1904 (352 innings, including two games that he finished in relief)
AL-37 Bill Dinneen, Boston, April 16 through October 10, first game, 1904 (337 innings)

Most complete game doubleheaders won, season
NL-3 Joe McGinnity, New York, 1903

Most perfect innings pitched, game
Harvey Haddix, Pittsburgh at Milwaukee, May 26, 1959. Haddix had pitched 12 perfect innings before Felix Mantilla, leading off the 13th, reached base on third baseman Don Hoak's throwing error. After Eddie Matthews sacrificed and Hank Aaron was walked intentionally, Joe Adcock doubled to score Mantilla ending the game 1-0.

Did you know that Erine Shore of Boston is often included in the list of perfect game pitchers? In the first game of a June 23, 1917 doubleheader at Boston, Babe Ruth, the starting Red Sox pitcher, was removed for arguing with umpire Brick Owens after giving a base on balls to Washington's Ray Morgan, the first batter. Shore, without warming up, took Ruth's place. Morgan was retired trying to steal second. From then on, Shore faced 26 batters, with none reaching base. Shore won the game, 4-0.

All these are from a record book made after the 1997 season, so if I am wrong on any new records, that is why.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

The pitcher with 5 K's in one inning was Mike Schultz of the Class A Lancaster (CA) JetHawks on 7-15-04.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

In the first game of a June 23, 1917 doubleheader at Boston, Babe Ruth, the starting Red Sox pitcher, was removed for arguing with umpire Brick Owens after giving a base on balls to Washington's Ray Morgan, the first batter.

Not only did he argue, he actually punched the umpire, and was suspended for one game.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 02:33pm

Lightbulb Kudos Tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
The pitcher with 5 K's in one inning was Mike Schultz of the Class A Lancaster (CA) JetHawks on 7-15-04.
Thanks...this is the one I was looking for...there's a reason they were talking about it and I didn't hear the beginning or end. 5K's in one half inning...that's cool!
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

This next situation is not feasible, but is possible. The most number of strikeouts in one inning that could possibly happen is infinate because you could have dropped thrid strikes all day long, and overthrows to first base all day.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

*I* once struck out 4 guys in an inning (I also pitch fastpitch). In fact, it happened this year (see: 4 Strike-Outs. I can tell you, it's very frustrating - you do the work, but the strike-out isn't an "out" because your teammates blew it.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Lost 20-4? Sounds like there was plenty of blame to pass around to EVERYONE!