The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 02:36pm
Call it as I see it.

Obstruction ???

ASA C State

R1 on 2nd base B2 hits shot to outfield rounds first and is obstructed going to 2nd base. R1 has rounded 3rd base and is a little more than half way to home when B2 is tagged out at 2nd. Base umpire kills the play having to called dead ball 3 times to finally stop play as the defense was trying to get R1 out at the plate.

What should be done with R1 as she was between 3rd and home when the play was killed? By the way she beat the throw home easily.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Award the base you judge she would have reached.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 08:01pm
High Five Master

Why was the play killed at all? Seems if he is working a state level game, should know this sitch a little better
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Why was the play killed at all? Seems if he is working a state level game, should know this sitch a little better
Rule?
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 08:35pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
It's a Delayed Dead Ball for Obstruction once B2 was put you have to kill the play and award accordingly.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 08:43pm
High Five Master

I'm trying to visualize this in my head. And I don't work ASA so maybe that matters here but I don't think so.

I know it's delayed and I know you award once runner is out but I'm not stopping play for all other action. I'll let it play out and award as needed. It's the only way I've ever seen it done
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 08:45pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
I'm trying to visualize this in my head. And I don't work ASA so maybe that matters here but I don't think so.

I know it's delayed and I know you award once runner is out but I'm not stopping play for all other action. I'll let it play out and award as needed. It's the only way I've ever seen it done
What codes do you work???
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 08:55pm
High Five Master

Usssa and nfhs. Usssa 8.13 says to award the obstructed runner and any runners affected. It also says ball becomes dead when time is taken to make awards. Says nothing about killing it immediately when obs runner is put out.
I didn't look up nfhs,usssa book is free online and fed isn't
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 09:13pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Usssa and nfhs. Usssa 8.13 says to award the obstructed runner and any runners affected. It also says ball becomes dead when time is taken to make awards. Says nothing about killing it immediately when obs runner is put out.
I didn't look up nfhs,usssa book is free online and fed isn't
Both USSSA and NFHS are delayed dead ball and if the Obstructed runner is put out you kill the ball. Here are the rules and or penalty

USSSA Rule 8 Sec 13.
When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base, by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attempting an initial play on a batted ball, it shall be a delayed dead-ball.
EFFECT: If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is declared and the Umpire shall award the obstructed runner, and each other runner affected by the obstruction, the bases they would have reached, in the Umpire’s judgment, had there been no obstruction.

NFHS Rule 8-4-3

PENALTY: (Art. 3b) When any obstruction occurs (including a rundown), the umpire will signal a delayed dead ball. The ball will remain live.
a. If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is called and the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction will be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpire's judgment, had there not been obstruction. An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 09:29pm
High Five Master

Yep. Understood. I just don't think having to yell dead ball 3x, as noted in the OP, is necessary. Throw out the left arm, state obstruction and award as necessary. I've never been one to overcook calling dead ball. Not saying you are by any means, just always seemed easier to me to award once play was basically dead anyway.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2016, 09:38pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Yep. Understood. I just don't think having to yell dead ball 3x, as noted in the OP, is necessary. Throw out the left arm, state obstruction and award as necessary. I've never been one to overcook calling dead ball. Not saying you are by any means, just always seemed easier to me to award once play was basically dead anyway.
If you do not kill the play you open a can of worms if another play is made and the ball was not killed.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 06:28am
High Five Master

I can see that. Guess I have just never had it happen.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

They say Missouri is the "show me" State.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Both USSSA and NFHS are delayed dead ball and if the Obstructed runner is put out you kill the ball. Here are the rules and or penalty

USSSA Rule 8 Sec 13.
When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base, by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attempting an initial play on a batted ball, it shall be a delayed dead-ball.
EFFECT: If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is declared and the Umpire shall award the obstructed runner, and each other runner affected by the obstruction, the bases they would have reached, in the Umpire’s judgment, had there been no obstruction.

NFHS Rule 8-4-3

PENALTY: (Art. 3b) When any obstruction occurs (including a rundown), the umpire will signal a delayed dead ball. The ball will remain live.
a. If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is called and the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction will be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpire's judgment, had there not been obstruction. An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed.
OK, I was lazy with my post above ( #4 ) .

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Jul 05, 2016 at 02:10pm.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
ASA C State

R1 on 2nd base B2 hits shot to outfield rounds first and is obstructed going to 2nd base. R1 has rounded 3rd base and is a little more than half way to home when B2 is tagged out at 2nd. Base umpire kills the play having to called dead ball 3 times to finally stop play as the defense was trying to get R1 out at the plate.

What should be done with R1 as she was between 3rd and home when the play was killed? By the way she beat the throw home easily.
When we make this call, I like to make eye contact with my partner(s). PU may not have seen the OBS signal or heard you. Once they see my hands in the air, they will generally figure that something is up. If the players want to keep playing, no big deal. We killed it. We have all the time in the world to make the call.