The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I always, no almost always, repeat dead ball calls loudly; partly to be sure I'm heard with everyone yelling and partly to avoid injuries by stopping play. Even if I can stop looking at players long enough to look at my partner; I want him/her to know a soon as possible. There is no harm in announcing it more than once.
Except things like HBP, etc.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2016, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
When we make this call, I like to make eye contact with my partner(s). PU may not have seen the OBS signal or heard you. Once they see my hands in the air, they will generally figure that something is up. If the players want to keep playing, no big deal. We killed it. We have all the time in the world to make the call.
Partners really do not need to know that you have OBS. For that matter, it is probably better that s/he doesn't know. All umpires need to just umpire the game in front of them as it unfolds without consideration to a partner's DDB signal.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2016, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I'm trying to visualize this in my head. And I don't work ASA so maybe that matters here but I don't think so.

I know it's delayed and I know you award once runner is out but I'm not stopping play for all other action. I'll let it play out and award as needed. It's the only way I've ever seen it done
Then you're doing it wrong (in either rule set).

The delayed dead becomes actual dead if the obstructed runner is put out before reaching the award base. You then award ALL runners the base they would have achieved absent the obstruction. You do NOT let it play out.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 06, 2016, 06:58pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Then you're doing it wrong (in either rule set).

The delayed dead becomes actual dead if the obstructed runner is put out before reaching the award base. You then award ALL runners the base they would have achieved absent the obstruction. You do NOT let it play out.

Yep. Got it. Had it with the previous posts. No need to reiterate what has already been stated

I really do think I have never had it happen. Almost every obs call I can remember/recall ends up in the player obtaining next base or being safe at the previous base.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2016, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... No need to reiterate what has already been stated...
Are you trying to shut down this forum???
Old Thu Jul 07, 2016, 07:38am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Are you trying to shut down this forum???

That's good for an early morning laugh!
Old Thu Jul 07, 2016, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Often a person will come to the forum after not having been on for awhile and start reading posts. Sometimes, they will only read the first or first few posts on a thread and then enter their comments.

Sometimes, this results in a repeat of what has already been said. It happens...it's not an attack on anyone....let it go.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2016, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Often a person will come to the forum after not having been on for awhile and start reading posts. Sometimes, they will only read the first or first few posts on a thread and then enter their comments.

Sometimes, this results in a repeat of what has already been said. It happens...it's not an attack on anyone....let it go.
I thought it was all meant in fun, especially my Missouri comment.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2016, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I thought it was all meant in fun, especially my Missouri comment.
My was an indication!
Old Thu Jul 07, 2016, 06:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I resemble that remark, !

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 08:43am
Call it as I see it.

Okay the reason I posted this is because as I came of the field an assistant UIC states he is very upset at how we handled a play during this game. The AUIC stated once we killed the ball those not affected by the Obstruction should be put back to the last base they legally held (R1).

When we got back to the Umpire area the head UIC (newer UIC I think second year) and another AUIC backed the 1st AUIC's ruling on the play.

When I brought out the Rule book and Read both the Rule and Rule Supplement I was still told we handled it wrong. This really upset me as I take pride in my knowledge and Mechanics.

After the tournament I talked to my local UIC who backed my ruling and how I handled this. I emailed the State UIC who also agreed with the way we handled this.

My challenging the UIC staff cost me games on Sunday. I have never not worked on a Sunday and almost always have a final.

Glad to see that most of those that gave input here had the correct awards.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Your AUICs are erroneously applying the Interference Rule regarding placement of runners in their interpretation of this play... and punishing the offense for the defense's infraction...

Last edited by jmkupka; Fri Jul 08, 2016 at 12:29pm.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 03:44pm
High Five Master

I've never worked a tournament where "performance" affected working additional days/Sunday. I'm glad of that. We just always have the number of guys we need to work the Tourn and they work both days.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never worked a tournament where "performance" affected working additional days/Sunday. I'm glad of that. We just always have the number of guys we need to work the Tourn and they work both days.
The difference here is that the tournament in question was an ASA Championship Play event...State C tournament.

In my neighborhood, we do the same thing. Fri/Sat schedules are set, then as the number of games are reduced due to teams being eliminated, the umpires that have performed the best on Fri/Sat are assigned on Sunday. Just like a National tournament.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2016, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Though it isn't always possible to wait to schedule that far, when it is possible performance should be the sole consideration for assignment.