The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2016, 01:28pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Minnesota law mandates concussion protocol training for all coaches and officials of youth sports. It further states the following:
California only has Concussion mandates for school sponsored sports.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2016, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And IMO it is inappropriate to place an umpire/referee in that position.
The law clearly states that it "does not create any additional liability". In other words, it is intended as additional protection for the youth athlete, not additional responsibility for the officials. If an official recognizes symptoms of concussion, he can act. If he does not (or merely chooses not to act) there is no additional liability than would have otherwise been there under existing law. The law does mandate concussion training for all coaches and officials, and that the training be repeated periodically (every three years, I think...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
California only has Concussion mandates for school sponsored sports.
The MN law applies to "any municipality, business, or nonprofit organization that organizes a youth athletic activity for which an activity fee is charged" as well as to schools.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The law clearly states that it "does not create any additional liability". In other words, it is intended as additional protection for the youth athlete, not additional responsibility for the officials. If an official recognizes symptoms of concussion, he can act. If he does not (or merely chooses not to act) there is no additional liability than would have otherwise been there under existing law. The law does mandate concussion training for all coaches and officials, and that the training be repeated periodically (every three years, I think...).
To start, the law can state whatever, it cannot prevent legal action against anyone.

As an umpire, I am not medically trained nor an agent of the state and as such accept zero responsibility for the care of a minor when there are legal guardians and/or adults whom have entrusted with the responsibility for the well-being of that child.

I'm sure many will consider my statement as callous. I consider it being a responsible adult who expects other adults to acknowledge and act accordingly as it pertains to their accepted responsibilities.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
To start, the law can state whatever, it cannot prevent legal action against anyone.

As an umpire, I am not medically trained nor an agent of the state and as such accept zero responsibility for the care of a minor when there are legal guardians and/or adults whom have entrusted with the responsibility for the well-being of that child.

I'm sure many will consider my statement as callous. I consider it being a responsible adult who expects other adults to acknowledge and act accordingly as it pertains to their accepted responsibilities.
I agree with most of your perspective. I was just explaining the MN law, which in reality merely set into law what was essentially the policy of the MSHSL already. The legislature just expanded it to non-school entities regardless of what the sanctioning body may have in their policies and rules.

Personally, I thought the legislature was doing what they do best: meddling into things they know nothing about with "feel good" laws so that can claim to be "taking action."

So, now I have to produce an up-to-date certificate showing that I attended concussion protocol training in order to register as an umpire with ASA.

So far (several years into this) no one has been sued and I have asked no one to leave a game due to concussion symptoms.

Last edited by Dakota; Fri Jul 01, 2016 at 09:33am.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Did we ever reach a consensus on the OP question?
Old Fri Jul 01, 2016, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with most of your perspective. I was just explaining the MN law, which in reality merely set into law what was essentially the policy of the MSHSL already. The legislature just expanded it to non-school entities regardless of what the sanctioning body may have in their policies and rules.

Personally, I thought the legislature was doing what they do best: meddling into things they know nothing about with "feel good" laws so that can claim to be "taking action."

So, now I have to produce an up-to-date certificate showing that I attended concussion protocol training in order to register as an umpire with ASA.

So far (several years into this) no one has been sued and I have asked no one to leave a game due to concussion symptoms.
I'm not worried about sitting a player. I'm more concerned with not sitting a player because the one/two adults there (umpires) that have the least amount of available time to observe a particular player did not see enough to make a determination of a player who is later determined to have had a problem.

I agree, the politicians are sticking their nose where it doesn't belong just so they can fluff up a resume for the next election.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2016, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Did we ever reach a consensus on the OP question?
IMO, it was none of the umpire's business. As a concerned adult, I may have stopped the game and sought out a tournament/league director to get assistance for the player in distress if the coach and/or parent would not take action.