The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

This is my first post, and I'm sorry it's a gripe thread, but I would like some feedback.

If you need a target, consider me a bullseye. I have a permanent bullseye engraved on my back since I've been pres. of the little league. I was having a wonderful day yesterday, until I got to the ball field. Of course, this is not a new occurance. Whiney pieces of crap would not leave me alone.

The softball teams didn't have an umpire. Well, if you ingrates wouldn't jump all over the ones you've had in the past, maybe they would come back. We've been through this before. I had a talk with each mangager just Saturday about the umpire situation. Then, their game had to be cut short because another game was scheduled after theirs. They whined about that. Get over it. We gave you an extra half hour the way it was. A parent whined because her kid's team had a great player called up to the Majors Division, who was replaced by a player who isn't very good. That team lost their game in the bottom of the last inning. Needless to say, I had to listen to the coach tell me he "had a lot of pissed off parents", along with listening to his whiney tirade. This is a pitching machine league (Minor League). It's sole purpose is to prepare players for the real deal, just like Tee-ball is to prepare kids for the pitching machine. Some of these idiots act like it's the friggin' World Series. So what? You lost a game and a good player. A good coach would rally his team and try to make his new player better, instead of whining about things he can't control.

My board members won't do crap, as far as helping run the league. I've got people willing to do the field work (mowing, dragging, etc.). I need help with the aspects that the board was supposed to be helping with from the beginning (sposorships, uniforms, etc.). Yes, I have people that were supposed to do those things, but they won't. Being nice about it got nothing done, so I kind of let them have it one day. Well, that didn't work either. They all got mad at me. I finally realized I'm on my own.

I used to love to go to the ball park and coach my two sons. Now, from the moment I leave work, I dread going to the fields. I absolutely despise being there, and I'm beginning to despise some of the people, too.

The ONLY reason I took this on to begin with, was because the league was in debt $14,000 last year. Someone had to do something. Well, that deficit was gone after the fall season. We have bought a lot of equipment this spring and still have about $2,000 in the bank. However, it was not worth it.

My oldest son (12) already plays on an AABS/USSSA team, along with playing Little League. My other son (8) has been offered a spot an AABC team, which I think we will accept next year. I don't need that league or it's crap. I have had enough of the whining, pettiness, politics and lack of support, help, and cooperation.

My guess is that this is one reason AABC teams are becoming more popular. Not only can you pick and choose your players, but you can pick and choose your parents, which is more important, in my opinion. I would rather have a poor player with great parents than have a great player with parents I can't stand.

How many of you league officials have had a similar experience? Is this the case everywhere? Is it my leadership that sucks? Any opinions are more than welcome.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:29pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
The younger the kids the worse the parents are. And there is a huge difference between catholic school kids and public school kids, the catholic school kids are some of the most rude, spoiled kids I have ever officiated. I am catolic so this is completely without bias.

The most respectful kids I have found are the ones that go to the poor inner city schools, always yes sir and no sir. And they hardly whine about calls.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you do not like what you are doing, then maybe you should get out. It sounds to me like you are working an uphill battle. If they do not appreciate the job you are doing, which is volunteer to begin with, then let them do it themselves. There is nothing wrong with your leadership skills. What it sounds like is that you have a bunch of chiefs and not enough Indians. It sounds like other people want to run the show or have their way and do not want to receive direction, and then let them have it. It is really not worth all the stress and aggravation. These adults are the example of why youth sports are going to hell in a hand basket in this country.

Peace
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Pres, it sounds like you did an admirable job but it's not worth your sanity or alienating your family for. Let it go and maybe once someone else has to step up, they will realize what they had and lost. Mismanagement is why most businesses and organizations fail and unfortunately it looks like this league might be in trouble if you go.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Our umpires organization this season elected not to do any travel ball this season, as they add more and more tournaments and we sure can't add more and more umpires.

Our thinking is that it'll do them some good to see what life is like WITHOUT our umpires, letting them understand how good of a job we do when and if we decide to come back.
Sounds like if you got them out of five figures of debt, you ought to step back and let someone else come in. If they do a good job, fine...if they don't, then they'll see what you accomplished.

Some of the parents at machine pitch/t-ball haven't learned it isn't the end of the world if their kid strikes out or his team loses. The coaches can help in that process, or they can just add to the situation by passing on "complaints".

Sometimes you just gotta be the bad guy!
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
While your situation doesn't sound great, I'm afraid you won't get much advice on this board. Had you read a few threads prior to posting, you may have noticed that this is a board for the discussion of sports offciating, not for the discussion of running a little league.

The umpires on this forum are typically those that do high school age and up baseball and don't have a lot of experience with (and in some cases tolerance for) little league. So you might be better served taking this discussion to one of the Eteamz baseball boards. There's a lot of Little League coaches, umpires, fans, and such there.

I'm not trying to take a holier than thou attitude here (heck I'm now on the board of my local little league), but I simply want to point out that there's really no one here that can offer any help.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

This board is an umpiring board. Why are you telling us about idiot little league parents? We listen to them all game long, all season long. Just a piece of advise... I was president of our little league a few years ago. Took the league over with no $ and within 2 years had a second field built, and $20,000 in the bank. Started hearing complaining about why we had so much money. Yea, you heard it right. Parents were complaining that we had too much money and something had to be done about it. They didn't understand why, as president of the league we needed to have $20k in the bank. I guess they were unhappy about the way I ran the league. We called a meeting to listen to them and after I listened to all of them, I handed one of the big mouths the clip board with the check book and quit. Spent alot more time with my family that summer!
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

SSLL Pres,

I can empathise with you. In addition to being an official I also have been the President of the Catholic school Athletic Association at my childrens' school for 6 years now. I too was faced with some of the same problems. No funds, little or no equipment and a program to run. Finally this year I had more help than ever and now I'm going to pass it to someone else. No more parents complaining about their kid's volunteer coach (Why don't you do it?) or playing time or coaching plans.

They're gonna miss you when you're gone!
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

SSLL Pres,

I hail you for your efforts and concern for the kids. This whole mess sounds like my local LL here in CT!

Sorry for the kids but here's the reality:
The board couldn't give a $hit!
The parents just whine and don't give a $hit!
The coaches don't give a $hit!

Take a vacation with your family this summer and before you leave tell them all that you don't give a $hit!

Let the league become insolvent and maybe the Regional will wake their dead a$$es up - but I doubt it.

LL - what a waste!
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Either work hard on your management skills of getting things done through others, or get the hell out. A long time ago, far far away, I was a league president for 5 years, but also a coach and a parent. It was too much, so one of the best days was when my company transferred me to another town and my sons played there last game, and left. I still have a picture of us after that game. The league wanted me to attend a luncheon to honor me for my work over the last 5 years. I didn't go because I felt it was a hollow honor to accept praise from so many people, some of which had done little to help. I could name 4 or 5 guys who without their effort the league would have folded, but the rest of them were just hangers.

One difference, for the first year or so anyone called me at home to complain about anything got an earful from me so they stopped calling.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 08:42pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by SSLL Pres
My board members won't do crap, as far as helping run the league. I've got people willing to do the field work (mowing, dragging, etc.). I need help with the aspects that the board was supposed to be helping with from the beginning (sposorships, uniforms, etc.). Yes, I have people that were supposed to do those things, but they won't. Being nice about it got nothing done, so I kind of let them have it one day. Well, that didn't work either. They all got mad at me. I finally realized I'm on my own.
SSLL Pres,
Welcome to the forum.

Been there.
You should be at the point where the league can run itself to finish it's regular season.

Do what you need to do to fulfill your responsibilities as League President.

Coach like you want to coach and quit worrying about the delegated chores being done.

If things aren't working out with players send the problem to the Player Representative. If umpires aren't showing up, send the problem to the league Umpire-in-Chief. If the fields are shoddy send the problem to the Safety Officer.

Take a breath. Realize that this is a league problem and not a personal problem.

You start enjoying your kids games.
mick

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I did not realize that this was an umpire board, until after I made my original post. Even though it is an umpire board, I did get some good responses. It appears as though many of you have dealt with the Little League organization.

Thanks to all who provided feedback. Our board elections are on June 11. The new is not supposed to take over until Aug. 1. However, I think they may get to take over a little early. After June 11, our season will be over, and I'm through.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
I did not realize that this was an umpire board, until after I made my original post.
SSLL Pres;

Don't worry, Little League and its problems has taken over this board just like it has every other umpire board of which I am aware. Nearly half of the posters here are Little League umpires and/or coaches. Within a year or two, I would expect that Little League will dominate and a post like yours will be right at home.

Until then, take comfort in knowing that you are doing your part to convert all umpire boards to Little League. The Pope only dreams of being so successful in converting all apostate Christians to Catholicism. Likewise, five years ago, this was an apostate board of 90 foot ball umpires who cursed the good well-meaning saints of Little League.

Peter

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

How many of you league officials have had a similar experience? Is this the case everywhere? Is it my leadership that sucks? Any opinions are more than welcome.

You are NOT alone which is the MAIN reason many of us Do not Umpire LL games or "kiddy ball" as it is referred to.

It's not because of the kids but the PARENTS and also other members of the BOD who simply want the prestige but are not willing to "lay down the law"

I don't know if I'll be around but someday one will be driving on a nice day near a baseball coplex. Plenty of Teams but guess what! No-one playing because there are NO Umpires.

The demize of Youth Sports can be summed up in one word - PARENTS.

My advice is this:

Finish out the year and hand in your resignation. It's time to concentrate on your Family and start having fun.

If you are having trouble getting umpires, then what little money you have left contract with a Willing assignor just to finish the season. In addition, do not accept any LL All Star Games at your complex. If you are having trouble getting umpires/help during the regular season what do you think is going to happen in July.

IMO, once you make up your mind that being Pres of this league isn't worth it you will start to feel better.

Also, once you join better run leagues such as Legion you will see a VAST improovement. You can get back to coaching and even be able to play some golf if you like. No "ajeda" anymore.

From an Umpires standpoint, it's a pleasure just to umpire the games and go home. No hanging around dealing with all the rhetoric that comes from a day at the LL park.

In Summary, it's time to get out - Life's too short and do something that you enjoy. Finish out the season the best way you can but do not loose sleep over it.

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Sick of It

I know exactly how you feel. I see many of the things that you talk about and the attitudes that parents and coaches display. Last week there was a very unusual incident in a Dixie Youth baseball game that was handled by the umpires in a manner that they thought was fair...as did every Dixie Youth Official who was talked to until it got to the National Director who decided that the play in question was handled in a diplomatic but incorrect way. I won't get into what happened (we all learned from it as did the umpires who were more than fair). But a protest was filed a full inning after the incident. The coach who filed the protest was insistent that the rules must be followed. Dixie Youth Rules state that a protest must be filed "before the next pitch" in order to be legal and valid. So this made his protest illegal and therefore the game stood as is. The head of the protest committee made sure that "all rules must be followed" including the rule that state when the protest must be filed. However, after the head of the protest committee informed all parties that the protest was illegal, the coach involved talked other members on the committee into voting to uphold his protest anyway. What kind of example does this set for our youth. This is a prime example of people only using the part of the rules that benefit them personally and not caring about the big picture. There are many people involved in youth sports who are only concerned about doing things that give them personal gratification. They use the youth sports programs as a platform for their own agendas. That's society for you.

[Edited by gboston on May 26th, 2005 at 12:57 PM]