The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 04:19pm
wife loves the goatee...

Help from my Partner

Early in a Varsity contest. Bang bang play at first. Coach politely asks me to talk to my partner and our Association policy is to get together (even if just to pacify the coach). I go to my veteran partner and ask him if I blew the call. Short answer--"Yes" ... I ask if he is 100% certain... same answer.

What would you do?
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Early in a Varsity contest. Bang bang play at first. Coach politely asks me to talk to my partner and our Association policy is to get together (even if just to pacify the coach). I go to my veteran partner and ask him if I blew the call. Short answer--"Yes" ... I ask if he is 100% certain... same answer.

What would you do?
First, that is not the question I would have asked.

Second, getting together just because the coach does not like the call is a bad policy.

Were YOU sure of the call? Did you have a good look? Were you in position and set?

It is your judgement call and the coach does not get to shop the crew for a judgement he likes.

Ask the coach if he saw something that you might have missed (e.g. pulled foot, etc.)

If so, ask your partner if he saw the same thing (pulled foot).

If the coach merely thinks his player was safe (for example) because he disagrees with your judgement, and your association requires you to get together to placate the coach, and you were on top of the call and made it according to your judgment, then have your show-conference, but tell your partner you had the call and unless he saw something specific, you are sticking with it. If your partner is the veteran you say he is, he will understand.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

How have the members of your association allowed such an absurd policy?
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 07:35pm
High Five Master

What Dakota said. 100% correct on all points
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our Association policy is to get together (even if just to pacify the coach).
Your association's policy sucks!
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
What Dakota said. 100% correct on all points
ditto.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 10:04am
wife loves the goatee...

No one has answered the question directly. What would you DO now that your veteran partner (btw, I am a "veteran" too:) has provided positive information that you missed the call?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

If it is a judgement call, it stands.

If you absolutely know that you got it wrong (with or without input from your partner), you can say, "Coach, I just kicked that call from here to kingdom come, but there is nothing we can do about it, except to play ball."

Refer to the Jim Joyce call.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

If my association had such a foolish rule and I had to talk to my partner if the coach asked, I would likely inquire if he had seen any hot moms. Then after a couple of seconds, we would confirm the original call and get on with the game.

If I were on the bases and something happened that I had doubts about (pulled foot, dropped ball etc...) then I would be interested in my partner's view.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No one has answered the question directly. What would you DO now that your veteran partner (btw, I am a "veteran" too:) has provided positive information that you missed the call?
What rule would you cite to support changing the call? That your partner disagreed with your judgment in a call that the mechanics make your call?

Nope, changing the count, too; I know I called that pitch a strike, but my base umpire says it should be a ball from where he's standing! Yeah, we can make that foul ball fair, now, too.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would make the decision to either reverse my call or have it stand...most likely the latter.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Nope, changing the count, too; I know I called that pitch a strike, but my base umpire says it should be a ball from where he's standing! Yeah, we can make that foul ball fair, now, too.[/QUOTE]

Partner told me of an occasion where he was PU, line drive over F3's head, curving foul... as it passes over F3, BU in "B" distinctly hears the ball tic off her mitt (well inside fair territory). PU does not. Calls "Foul ball". (More senior) BU insists this can be corrected, and places runner and B/R where he thinks they should be.
Your thoughts?

Last edited by jmkupka; Fri Apr 15, 2016 at 10:31am.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Partner told me of an occasion where he was PU, line drive over F3's head, curving foul... as it passes over F3, BU in "B" distinctly hears the ball tic off her mitt (well inside fair territory). PU does not. Calls "Foul ball". (More senior) BU insists this can be corrected, and places runner and B/R where he thinks they should be.
Your thoughts?
Can it be? Yes, but only if PU requests the information from the BU.

Should it be? No
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Can it be? Yes, but only if PU requests the information from the BU.

Should it be? No
Cannot be changed in NCAA; by rule, once called foul, it must remain foul no matter what.

In my opinion, the only times anyone should consider that correction in a rule set that allows it is if the ball hits the base or foul pole, and is fair by rule (as opposed to judgment). Then it is a rule misapplication, which should be corrected.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Cannot be changed in NCAA; by rule, once called foul, it must remain foul no matter what.

In my opinion, the only times anyone should consider that correction in a rule set that allows it is if the ball hits the base or foul pole, and is fair by rule (as opposed to judgment). Then it is a rule misapplication, which should be corrected.
I don't think I understand the distinction. Isn't a ball which hits a fielders glove in flight in fair territory fair by rule? What makes thinking it didn't hit the base an error of rule but thinking it didn't hit the glove an error of judgment.