The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics

Someone tell me exactly what else the 3rd base umpire has to watch other than a runner retouching a base on a caught line drive on the other side of the infield

Appeal play

Then again, how hard is it to make a ruling after being told what happened.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Someone tell me exactly what else the 3rd base umpire has to watch other than a runner retouching a base on a caught line drive on the other side of the infield

Appeal play

Then again, how hard is it to make a ruling after being told what happened.
Not going with HM, but unjustified ball watching.
Plus:
1- scream if you see me folding my arms while a coach talks
2 - scream if my hands are on my hips while explaining
3 - remind me to remove dark glasses
4 - same as 1, more so with angry coach
5 - why can't MLB umps think & talk w/o the PU?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Not going with HM, but unjustified ball watching.
Plus:
1- scream if you see me folding my arms while a coach talks
2 - scream if my hands are on my hips while explaining
3 - remind me to remove dark glasses
4 - same as 1, more so with angry coach
5 - why can't MLB umps think & talk w/o the PU?

Because each crew has a chief and not always the PU. In this case, I believe the 3B umpire was the CC. Each crew also has a rules guy. Yeah, they should all know them, but often there is a particular umpire whose job is to be the rules guy.

If they come together and discuss a play or rule, it eliminates the request to check with someone else so the only subsequent action would be to protest or go to a replay (if that is available for the play/call at hand).
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Not trying to defend the umpire because I think most MLB umpires are a bit too arrogant for my tastes.

However, 3U and PU may not have had a good angle for the runner returning to 3B. The runner did head back, but obviously didn't go back all the way. PU may have been straight lined by the runner and may not have been able to tell if he went all the way back. 3U may have had a similar problem seeing the runner's foot. The runner could have touched the base without having stepped on top of the bag.

Seems like the guy who might have had the best angle would be 2U, and he was dealing with the missed ball at second base and the scramble that followed that.

So, yeah, they got it right, but it took an awfully long time.

Ditto comments about sunglasses, arms akimbo and/or folded.

Or maybe that was supposed to be his day off. And he certainly acted like it.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Not trying to defend the umpire because I think most MLB umpires are a bit too arrogant for my tastes.

However, 3U and PU may not have had a good angle for the runner returning to 3B. The runner did head back, but obviously didn't go back all the way. PU may have been straight lined by the runner and may not have been able to tell if he went all the way back. 3U may have had a similar problem seeing the runner's foot. The runner could have touched the base without having stepped on top of the bag.

Seems like the guy who might have had the best angle would be 2U, and he was dealing with the missed ball at second base and the scramble that followed that.

So, yeah, they got it right, but it took an awfully long time.

Ditto comments about sunglasses, arms akimbo and/or folded.

Or maybe that was supposed to be his day off. And he certainly acted like it.
Check the video at 1:32 on the video in the OP. The umpire is maybe 6-8 ft from 3rd base. There is absolutely no excuse for him to not see the no touch at 3rd.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:43pm
High Five Master

I cannot agree about the sunglasses comments. I wear mine a lot. I don't think it's disrespectful to keep them on when talking to someone. Especially a coach, who is also wearing sunglasses.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I cannot agree about the sunglasses comments. I wear mine a lot. I don't think it's disrespectful to keep them on when talking to someone. Especially a coach, who is also wearing sunglasses.
Well I think you will agree to disagree with most on this board. It is a sign of respect to take the glasses off and look them in the eye. Even if they don't take theirs off when they talk to us, we should be above that and take ours off and look them in the eye. I also wear glasses almost always as my contacts hate the dust, but they come off at the plate conference and anytime I am discussing something with a coach. Not for lineup changes but anytime we are having a discussion about a ruling etc.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Because each crew has a chief and not always the PU. In this case, I believe the 3B umpire was the CC. Each crew also has a rules guy. Yeah, they should all know them, but often there is a particular umpire whose job is to be the rules guy.

If they come together and discuss a play or rule, it eliminates the request to check with someone else so the only subsequent action would be to protest or go to a replay (if that is available for the play/call at hand).
Yes, I get all that, except the bold, but just dislike the preference given to PU, there and in our games.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Well I think you will agree to disagree with most on this board. It is a sign of respect to take the glasses off and look them in the eye. Even if they don't take theirs off when they talk to us, we should be above that and take ours off and look them in the eye. I also wear glasses almost always as my contacts hate the dust, but they come off at the plate conference and anytime I am discussing something with a coach. Not for lineup changes but anytime we are having a discussion about a ruling etc.
As many of you are fond of saying, baseball and softball are different sports. I work college and HS baseball and my glasses never come off. Why should I squint at the plate meeting?

The only umpires I know who worry about those kinds of things are those who also work softball.

Any point to this thread other than ripping MLB umpires?
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ripping weak and discourteous umpires, as a teaching moment.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Ripping weak and discourteous umpires, as a teaching moment.
Discourteous? Only to people who look for stuff like this.

I get along marvelously with coaches, despite leaving my sunglasses on my face from the moment I walk from the car until I return.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Discourteous? 1 Only to people who look for stuff like this.

2 I get along marvelously with coaches, despite leaving my sunglasses on my face from the moment I walk from the car until I return.
Yes to #1, but it happens.

Of course to #2, g. lad you don't have to run to your car.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Mar 31, 2016 at 11:33am.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As many of you are fond of saying, baseball and softball are different sports. I work college and HS baseball and my glasses never come off. Why should I squint at the plate meeting?

The only umpires I know who worry about those kinds of things are those who also work softball.

I would have posted this, including my opinion, regardless of the umpire, organization or level.

Remember when it was taught to annoy the coach by walking in small circles and make the coach chase if s/he wanted to "argue"? Or put your back to the sun to force the coach to look into it. I have never taught such things and would correct anyone who would bring them up in a clinic. IMO, an umpire who uses such childish tactics is classless.

AFA the sunglasses, I agree with Dave

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Apr 01, 2016 at 09:10am.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2016, 09:03pm
High Five Master

This world has a lot of "signs of respect" that don't have shit to do with actual respect.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Follow up on the sunglasses. As noted, I agreed with Dave concerning removal.

Doing so and looking straight at the coach is an indication that the umpire is paying attention and giving his/her opinion/argument the consideration that is due the coach in representing his/her team.