The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Four man mechanics

Working first four man crew today, any tips? Serious only please.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
Working first four man crew today, any tips? Serious only please.
Which association? ASA? USSSA? NCAA?

ASA, as far as I am aware, does not have official, written-in-stone 4-umpire mechanics.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

It's quite simple, actually. U1 chases all fly balls from F9 to the right field dead ball line, U3 chases all fly balls from F7 to the left field dead ball line, and U2 chases all fly balls from F7 to F9. When anyone chases, the others revert to standard 3 umpire mechanics, with rotation clockwise; if no one chases, you cover your base. U1 and U3 work the lines; U2 lines up in calling position at 2nd (same place U3 sets up in 3 man with R1 on 1st).

ASA had 4 umpire mechanics that were taught at Advanced National Umpire Schools, and used in National Championship Finals; they were just never published in the Umpire Manual. When the staff changed several years ago, the new staff stopped recognizing it, because it wasn't previously available to the general umpire community. Quite a few of us still have the paperwork.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Wed May 13, 2009 at 09:37am.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Federation (High School Playoffs)
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

What about tag up responsibilities. I figure, take your base and homeplate takes the base of umpire that goes out???
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Federation (High School Playoffs)
NFHS covers it in their umpire manual. They require an umpire to go out on all fly balls hit to the out field. The remaining crew would then revert to three man mechanics. It is very easy. Just remember that all rotations are clockwise. I would suggest pulling out your NFHS Umpire manual to brush up on everything, but it is really quite simple.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

ASA had 4 umpire mechanics that were taught at Advanced National Umpire Schools, and used in National Championship Finals; they were just never published in the Umpire Manual. When the staff changed several years ago, the new staff stopped recognizing it, because it wasn't previously available to the general umpire community. Quite a few of us still have the paperwork.
Steve, I still have my handout, with the side by side of three-umpire and four-umpire rotations. Wasn't this only for those who attended the extra ISF qualifying day?
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

You could be right; I know I got it first in Killeen, that HP had just finished that task per MB's request. I'm just not sure if it was the ISF day, or handed out at the more general sessions.

In a later year, we hosted a National School in Atlanta (Roswell, GA, actually), and Henry passed them out again. I kept several for training reference.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
You could be right; I know I got it first in Killeen, that HP had just finished that task per MB's request. I'm just not sure if it was the ISF day, or handed out at the more general sessions.

In a later year, we hosted a National School in Atlanta (Roswell, GA, actually), and Henry passed them out again. I kept several for training reference.
I don't know who much emphasis put into the four-umpire system, but I would like to see that handout become the standard. The ASA umpire manual devotes all of one page. The NFHS umpire manual that we get is similar (i.e. the same) in scope. Does the NFHS publish anything on the four umpire system beyond their umpire manual?
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I don't know who much emphasis put into the four-umpire system, but I would like to see that handout become the standard. The ASA umpire manual devotes all of one page. The NFHS umpire manual that we get is similar (i.e. the same) in scope. Does the NFHS publish anything on the four umpire system beyond their umpire manual?
Well...part of the reason for this, I am sure, is when an umpire goes out, you revert back to a three man system, which is covered in great detail in all of the manuals. Otherwise, (base hits...etc.), you are responsible for your own station. No real need, IMO, to go into too great of detail and be redundant.

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Skahtboi

No need for anything more than what they have. It is cake. If you know three man then you know four man. Hardest part is making yourself stay put when you are on the bases.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree with Skahtboi

No need for anything more than what they have. It is cake. If you know three man then you know four man. Hardest part is making yourself stay put when you are on the bases.
There are some coverages that aren't that straight forward; little subtle nuances. For example: R1 on third, less than two outs. Fly ball on left field line, and R1 tags and goes home. F2 receives the ball before the runner arrives and makes a great tag. And the out is called by . . . ?
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
There are some coverages that aren't that straight forward; little subtle nuances. For example: R1 on third, less than two outs. Fly ball on left field line, and R1 tags and goes home. F2 receives the ball before the runner arrives and makes a great tag. And the out is called by . . . ?
PU, the same umpire who would have made it in the 3, 2 or 1 umpire system.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Exactly!

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Isn't that call made by the OC in the 1 umpire system?