The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
It's a rule of equity. Simple as that.
Huh? Oh, a legal term.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Getting back to useful questions.

1) Is the ejection immediate? IOW, no further action by that player counts?

2) What is the difference between malicious and flagrant? NFHS defines malicious as "excesive force". ASA does not define either.
Malicious in a dictionary means "having or showing a desire to cause harm to another person".

If this is a hijack, tell me and I'll repost separately.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 10:04am
High Five Master

In nfhs and utrip, yes, player is out and ejection is immediate, so player could not score. (I don't have rules cute though bc my books are in the car)

I don't know that there really is a difference in flagrant or malicious. I would use them interchangeably.

And I don't think it's a hijack. Pretty germane to the conversation.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

ASA, runner bowls over clueless F2 then touches the plate, run scores.

BR blows up F3 when rounding 1B, continues around the bases and crosses the plate. Run scores.

Then ejection.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
ASA, runner bowls over clueless F2 then touches the plate, run scores.

BR blows up F3 when rounding 1B, continues around the bases and crosses the plate. Run scores.

Then ejection.
I imagine this play somewhat resembles this: http://i.giphy.com/TIKf43cN5FTYQ.gif All sorts of bad stuff, with ejections at the end.

Can I continue this train of thought with a game management question? Would it be appropriate to bring both head coaches together and explain that the ejections will continue until morale sportsmanship improves? I might also warn the offensive HC that should his team pull another stunt like that, he'll be following his players to the parking lot. Not that he would need the warning, but for the benefit of the defensive coach seeing that we are being proactive about an obvious unsportsmanlike play.

Or does bringing the coaches together for a private, stern chat run the risk of escalating the situation by getting them within arm's length of one another?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I wouldn't bring the two together, but rather address each at their respective dugouts.

Most likely, I'll be addressing the OC at the HP area, where I'd probably be while announcing the ejection when she crosses the plate. Any warning of a coach ejection would come right after he attempts to justify his girl's behavior.

Any blanket warning to both teams (again, individually), would be in the vein of diffusing the situation, explaining my decision, and advising them both against any future USC.

But bringing two irate coaches together is a bad idea...
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

In the video, the landing was allowed continue, and then the ejection.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Of course I have heard of unsportsmanlike conduct......which is how you eject in any rule set. Maybe ASA should stop worrying about chin straps and silly things like that and get this rule right. Around here, it's fallen by the wayside anyway so it's nothing to me but I'd be bothered with an ejection but no out in this type of play.
Hey, you asked the question.

IMO, the chin strap rule was and should still be, something that was important for safety reasons and made an umpire's life much easier by eliminating the ACCIDENTAL removal or the falling off of the helmet.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bring the two together, but rather address each at their respective dugouts.

Most likely, I'll be addressing the OC at the HP area, where I'd probably be while announcing the ejection when she crosses the plate. Any warning of a coach ejection would come right after he attempts to justify his girl's behavior.

Any blanket warning to both teams (again, individually), would be in the vein of diffusing the situation, explaining my decision, and advising them both against any future USC.

But bringing two irate coaches together is a bad idea...
Not necessarily. If you only need to say something once, there should be no confusion and accusations that the umpire didn't say one thing or another. It is only a bad idea if the umpire is incapable of controlling the meeting.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:10pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Hey, you asked the question.

IMO, the chin strap rule was and should still be, something that was important for safety reasons and made an umpire's life much easier by eliminating the ACCIDENTAL removal or the falling off of the helmet.

12th year of both NFHS and Utrip, neither of which require chin strap, and I really don't remember a helmet coming off ever. Maybe I am forgetting it but I don't recall any.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I guess a good barometer of that would be, if the 2 coaches were already going at it from across the diamond, I wouldn't facilitate things by closing the distance (even as a moderator).