The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 09:27pm
Back from the DL

Dangerous or Corner?

About ten yards from the corner, attacker A-1 is attempting to play the ball on a high bounce. Defender B-2 kicks the ball near A-1's head. The ball goes over the goal line.

Do you go with an indirect kick ten yards from the corner, or a corner kick (which is direct)?
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:34am
Back from the DL

No takers?
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Not a soccer ref... but taking experience from the way rules work in most situations in other sports...

Sounds like the high-kick happens before the ball travelling out of bounds. Is it true that the penalty for that was going to be enforce regardless of where the ball went? If so - then enforce that penalty. The OOB never happened.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
About ten yards from the corner, attacker A-1 is attempting to play the ball on a high bounce. Defender B-2 kicks the ball near A-1's head. The ball goes over the goal line.

Do you go with an indirect kick ten yards from the corner, or a corner kick (which is direct)?
It depends on the game. If it's been chippy, had other dangerous plays, or is a low age/skill level, take the dangerous play. If not, it's trifling and take the corner.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:17am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Is it true that the penalty for that was going to be enforce regardless of where the ball went?
Good question. As Eastshire correctly pointed out, it depends. There's a little more freedom and judgment used in soccer officiating than with other sports. In soccer, you can consider the advantage when penalizing most infractions.

The key difference here is that a corner kick is a direct kick (you can score directly from the kick), while a dangerous play consequence is an indirect kick (must be touched by another player for a goal to count). Ultimately, the question I'm asking is, which is more advantageous: an indirect kick from 20 yards, or a direct kick from 30? (I suppose that depends upon the level.)
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Good question. As Eastshire correctly pointed out, it depends. There's a little more freedom and judgment used in soccer officiating than with other sports. In soccer, you can consider the advantage when penalizing most infractions.

The key difference here is that a corner kick is a direct kick (you can score directly from the kick), while a dangerous play consequence is an indirect kick (must be touched by another player for a goal to count). Ultimately, the question I'm asking is, which is more advantageous: an indirect kick from 20 yards, or a direct kick from 30? (I suppose that depends upon the level.)
Either way, the offense is going to run a corner set piece. Since very few people can score directly from a corner, it's almost certainly going to be touched first. In that matter, it's moot. I think I'd rather have it at the corner so the kicker doesn't have to try to shorten his delivery.

So I get back to the same place, DP only if needed for game management.