Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Priest sent off for throwing shirt at referee

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...ughNews&rpc=69

Quote:
ROME (Reuters) - A footballing priest has been sent off in a church tournament for throwing his shirt at the referee, Italian media reported Sunday. (snip)
It's all passion baby!
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
What sending-off offense did he commit? The only thing I can think of would be this:

uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

But really, would you send him off for that??
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 02:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff
What sending-off offense did he commit? The only thing I can think of would be this:

As a strong Catholic, I would only send him off for liturgical abuses.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Throwing anything at a referee warrants a send off. Throwing an item at referee or opponent should be treated as "Striking or Attempting to Strike". Any referee who does not fully sanction this action is not looking out for the "good of the Game".

If we were in the Basketball forum someone would post a picture of the "well endowed" squirrel and state that anyone not willing to impose a "send off" should "grow a pair"
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
Throwing anything at a referee warrants a send off. Throwing an item at referee or opponent should be treated as "Striking or Attempting to Strike". Any referee who does not fully sanction this action is not looking out for the "good of the Game".

If we were in the Basketball forum someone would post a picture of the "well endowed" squirrel and state that anyone not willing to impose a "send off" should "grow a pair"
Oh really?? Is that so?? So, by what you are saying, it should be treated as "Striking or Attempting to Strike"?? Interesting. If that is the case, why is that a send-off offense? It's not. It's just cause for a DFK, and that's all (Law 12).

As you can see from from the sending-off offenses (http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents...PRO-AMENG.pdf), "striking or attempting to strike does not fall in that category. However, if you are stating that the throwing of the shirt would be considered Violent Conduct (VC), then I'd say that your squirrel needs to "shrink his pair".

If that were to happen to me (just my opinion), I would have cautioned him for UB and then let him stew in his own anger for the rest of the match until he committed a sending-off offense.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Striking or Attempting to strike IS Violent Conduct. Just like in "real world" law you do not have to "connect" to be charged with "assault".

So your report will be "Send Off", VC, but if the perpetrator is a player on the field of play, you refer to your "link" to select the correct restart, DFK or PK subject to location on the FOP.

"The pair definitely does not need to Shrink", far to many referees seek to "avoid" doing what is necessary to protect the "game" and the referee who works the next game with the incorrectly punished perpetrator, who is now convinced, that his behavior is really not that bad "it only got me a caution" last time.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 11:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Oh really?? Is that so?? So, by what you are saying, it should be treated as "Striking or Attempting to Strike"?? Interesting. If that is the case, why is that a send-off offense? It's not. It's just cause for a DFK, and that's all (Law 12).

As you can see from from the sending-off offenses (http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents...PRO-AMENG.pdf), "striking or attempting to strike does not fall in that category. However, if you are stating that the throwing of the shirt would be considered Violent Conduct (VC), then I'd say that your squirrel needs to "shrink his pair".

If that were to happen to me (just my opinion), I would have cautioned him for UB and then let him stew in his own anger for the rest of the match until he committed a sending-off offense.

phatneff:

I officiated H.S. soccer for 13 years, and if all you would do is issue a yellow card for the actions described in the OP, then you need to grew a pair.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 10:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
you need to grow a pair.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

LOL!! Ahh yes......nothing like riling up the masses!! The point of these "forums" is to "discuss" scenarios and bring about conversation. Apparently my comments have ruffled a few feathers, and that's good. That was the whole intention.

Thanks for all of your comments. By the way, my "pair" is just the right size, thank you!
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
phatneff:

I officiated H.S. soccer for 13 years, and if all you would do is issue a yellow card for the actions described in the OP, then you need to grew a pair.

MTD, Sr.

Mark,

No offense, but where are you on these lists?

http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/assgn...so/default.htm Northwest District

http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/assgn...so/default.htm Northwest District

I don't know if you know Frank Dietz or not, but I had the pleasure of working on the crew with him at the 2005 Div. II Girls Final. Great guy!

FYI, I am in the Southwest District.

Like I said, my "pair" is just the right size!

Ryan Neff

Last edited by phatneff; Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 03:05pm.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 03:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Mark,

No offense, but where are you on these lists?

http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/assgn...so/default.htm

http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/assgn...so/default.htm

Like I said, my "pair" is just the right size!

Ryan Neff

The last year I officiated H.S. soccer was the 2005-06. My knees couldn't take the uneven fields anymore. But it doesn't matter whether the sport is basketball, baseball, or fastpitch softball (the three sports I still officiate), if a player or bench throws anything at me in anger, he is getting ejected. Any official that would not eject a participant under such conditions should consider leaving officiating because he is doing a disservice to the sport and his fellow officials.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be sure to keep that in mind, but I don't know which would be a greater disservice..........not ejecting a coach for throwing a shirt, or eliminating myself from the pool of State tournament officials, seeing how there is a shortage of those anymore.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
I'll be sure to keep that in mind, but I don't know which would be a greater disservice..........not ejecting a coach for throwing a shirt, or eliminating myself from the pool of State tournament officials, seeing how there is a shortage of those anymore.

So you would kiss the a$$ of a coach to make sure you go enough votes to get a state tournament game than concduct yourself in an ethical and professional manner. If getting a state tournament assignment is more important than doing the correct thing then I am glad I don't have to officiate with a soccer official like you.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you would kiss the a$$ of a coach to make sure you go enough votes to get a state tournament game than concduct yourself in an ethical and professional manner. If getting a state tournament assignment is more important than doing the correct thing then I am glad I don't have to officiate with a soccer official like you.

MTD, Sr.

LOL.....you don't know me very well......actually at all. I totally agree with you on that aspect of getting tourney votes. It's very much an "old boys club" process. However, I never have, nor will I ever, play that political BS game. I think it's absolutely hilarious to see some of these officials "chum it up" with coaches before games and between games. I don't do that whatsoever. I do notice that the ones that do that tend to be the older referees. I think they feel they need to do that in order to keep up with us young whipper-snappers!

Actually, in the SW district, I noticed some of those guys in there are not qualified to do state games because they are either assigners or they have not done enough games throughout the season to be in that pool. So that just goes to show that a lot of it is by name recognition rather than ability. Fortunately for me, I got to where I am based on my ability. After continuing to play the game for 30 years, I feel that I've earned that respect.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!
Of course, I'm sure that you aren't surprised that I disagree with you.

There are certain actions which are clearly unacceptable on a field.
This act is analogous to a player who snatches a displayed card out of the referee's hand.

See this example from the FIFA U-20 WC in Canada:
Match record

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/matc...886/index.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiaXWq1KHY

MTD, don't worry about phatneff. You can't tell him anything. You can tell by his screen name that he has an overly high opinion of himself and already knows it all.