Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

KC/Arizona replay reversal

Did Refs Miss Call on Crucial Travis Kelce Fumble? | Bleacher Report

Thoughts?

Mike Carey was the officiating expert on this game, and said rather matter-of-factly that this would not be overturned and the call on the field would stand. Then they immediately reverse it.

I have two issues here:

1. The ball does move before he goes to the ground, but from everything I've read and heard, the ball can move without a player actually being judged to have lost control. On top of that, Kelce goes to the ground and rolls over with the ball re-secured in his hands while he is laying on his back, then the defender slaps it out of his hands.

2. The NFL's "clear recovery" rule is a joke. The officials blew the whistle for the runner being down by contact. Of course the Chiefs' #13 (Nearest to the play) is going to stop playing and not go for the ball. Why would he?

I just don't see this as "clear and convincing" evidence that this call should have been overturned.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Expect plenty of dead-ball pileups & scrambles for the ball delaying the game as a consequence of this.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Expect plenty of dead-ball pileups & scrambles for the ball delaying the game as a consequence of this.
The clear recovery aspect of replay has been in place for at least 2 or 3 years and you don't see it. It's a non-issue.

The ball obviously came loose so what you see as he rolls over needs to be maintained in order for it to be a recovery. It's similar to surviving the ground on a catch. He never completed the recovery. I think this was a good overturn based on the current replay rules.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The clear recovery aspect of replay has been in place for at least 2 or 3 years and you don't see it. It's a non-issue.

The ball obviously came loose so what you see as he rolls over needs to be maintained in order for it to be a recovery. It's similar to surviving the ground on a catch. He never completed the recovery. I think this was a good overturn based on the current replay rules.
That's how I saw it...the ball is knocked loose...then the KC player gets possession of the ball as he's going to the ground. As such, he has to complete the process of recovery....which has the same requirements as a catch. The ball is knocked loose just as the player is about to finish the process.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. By that standard of looseness of ball, I wonder how many other fumbles could be detected during the avg. game by video.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2014, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow. By that standard of looseness of ball, I wonder how many other fumbles could be detected during the avg. game by video.
All of them where they ultimately lose possession before the play ends. If he never loses possession this is a non-issue.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Football has progressed to being the MOST popular sporting event in America, despite the miniscule repetition of honest mistakes and points worth arguing. Without question, emerging technologies can turn the game, under the guise of "striving for perfection" actually played on the field, into a real time version of a videp game, that may well eliminate all debates, suspense, consequences of human failings, rising or failing to deal with consequences, the excitement of unpredictability and eentually lack of interest, boredom and that which has proven it's success. .

To what end, for what purpose or to whose benefit, is a real question.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Did Refs Miss Call on Crucial Travis Kelce Fumble? | Bleacher Report
...On top of that, Kelce goes to the ground and rolls over with the ball re-secured in his hands while he is laying on his back, then the defender slaps it out of his hands.

One hand was his, one hand was the defender's.