The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Arizona vs UW

Interesting game. So far about 5 IPs on Fowler (including one which negated a double play), a non-obstruction out call at the plate (assumping about to receive came into play) and a LBR violation on a runner @ 3B.

Boy, lots of fun with the THs on this one.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

To heck with all that, can't nobody there play defense?
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Interesting game. So far about 5 IPs on Fowler (including one which negated a double play), a non-obstruction out call at the plate (assumping about to receive came into play) and a LBR violation on a runner @ 3B.

Boy, lots of fun with the THs on this one.
From sec 21 (center field), I was saying 'obstruction' from the initial contact. We could not see the 'control' issues that seem to come into play into they showed the replay on the jumbo tron. The ball on that throw really seemed to 'slow' down the 2nd hop, to make the about to receive the ball 'call' even more difficult.

The 2 games I saw today, the blues did a fine job. But it was humorous when the ZONA fans began chanting 'let them play' after the 3rd or so IP. There was much irony in those moments.

It seems that the consensus at the ballpark, to the 'untrained fan eye' is that they want IPs called until it is against 'their' team. Then it is 'over officiating. That being said, the blues in OKC are simply during their job and doing it well.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post

The 2 games I saw today, the blues did a fine job. But it was humorous when the ZONA fans began chanting 'let them play' after the 3rd or so IP. There was much irony in those moments.
Its the same old crap we've been hearing forever. "Never called before", "how can you make that call", "she's not getting an advantage", yada, yada, yada.

It is all nothing be a poor excuse for the coaching staff doing a second-rate job with their pitching staff. Not to mention the parents that paid all that money to have their DD taught to pitch illegally

At least, Candrea gave up coming out on every IP called.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

How about that LBR violation?

Quick to pull the trigger? Maybe, but I can see why he did.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Again, I was in center field. but what I saw was a 'round the bag'....stop....pick up the ball in the circle......quick hesitation (for what ever reason). the just as she turns back to the bag, blue bangs her.

What was deceiving 'live' was the time it took to 'hear and see' blue make the call. Many thought she was 'going back to the bag' when the call was made, but we all know that is not necessarily when the actual infraction occurred.

Time to head back to the ball park. here is to two more good games.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

According to the collective rationale of the TH's, it was a terrible call quick or not! That was even AFTER they read the rule on air.

Camera wasn't on it when it occured, but the replay clearly shows a second stop while returning. That is when the BU's hands went up, so yes I guess he was quick on it. Good read, good call. It was correct.

The only thing I couldn't see from the TV replay was when the F1 actually had the ball. BU had all that in his sight.

This may have been a "minor" or "nitpicking" infraction, but it was an infraction none the less. Should be called at this level, and all levels.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Again, I was in center field. but what I saw was a 'round the bag'....stop....pick up the ball in the circle......quick hesitation (for what ever reason). the just as she turns back to the bag, blue bangs her.

What was deceiving 'live' was the time it took to 'hear and see' blue make the call. Many thought she was 'going back to the bag' when the call was made, but we all know that is not necessarily when the actual infraction occurred.
On her way back, she stepped toward the base with her left foot while watching the pitcher and instead of bringing the right foot forward, just shifted her weight to the back foot with a slight hesitation. The umpire must have read that as a second stop and he called it right away.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Jun 06, 2010 at 08:44am. Reason: To make luvthegame feel better about reading this board :)
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On her way back, she stepped toward the base with here left foot while watching the pitcher and instead of bringing the right foot forward, just shifted here weight to the back foot with a slight hesitation. The umpire must have read that as a second stop and he called it right away.
this will be interesting....

Never stopped moving...as you acknowledged..just shifted "here" (did you mean her) weight....shifting weight...is moving in my judgment...otherwise it would be..."still" or stopped....neither happened....
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Why is a woman at this level, at this type of game, playing this type of game???
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
this will be interesting....

Never stopped moving...as you acknowledged..just shifted "here" (did you mean her) weight....shifting weight...is moving in my judgment...otherwise it would be..."still" or stopped....neither happened....
Yes, but shifted weight away from the base. I can only assume that "away" from the base is not moving toward the base which is required. Even the THs noted the hesitation and then justified it by saying it was in slow motion, so the umpire could not have noticed it.

I cannot say if I or anyone else would have made the call and whether it is right or wrong. The umpire had the best possible view looking through the base and runner at the pitcher. There wasn't a camera angle shown (that I saw on TV or internet feed) that should the pitcher and runner in the same frame from field level.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Why is a woman at this level, at this type of game, playing this type of game???
Totally agree. Down by several runs, you know the pitcher is getting the ball and there is no way you are going anywhere.

Really, we are going to be off the bag to draw a throw, Really!
I agree that the video was hard to tell the exact movement, but REALLY, we are rounding the bag to draw a throw,

REALLY
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

Yes. She jockeyed a little with F6. That probably put LBR in his mind. Then when the ball went to the circle, she moved quite slowly ... but she was moving back toward 3rd. I thought he was too quick.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Yes. She jockeyed a little with F6. That probably put LBR in his mind. Then when the ball went to the circle, she moved quite slowly ... but she was moving back toward 3rd. I thought he was too quick.
OTOH, 3Sport has a point. WTF was she thinking? The pitcher had the ball in the circle, get back to the base and check in with your coach.

Of course, if we got rid of the rule.........
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On her way back, she stepped toward the base with her left foot while watching the pitcher and instead of bringing the right foot forward, just shifted her weight to the back foot with a slight hesitation. The umpire must have read that as a second stop and he called it right away.
yep, from center field, i 'missed it'