The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think it's healthy to question practices from time to time. I can't imagine a single positive of a coach being ganged up on by 5 officials. The R/U have specific reasons for being there. The rest? Have other jobs to do.
Not having the burden (luxury) of 6 and 7 man crews, I've found it a positive exchange to have the wing official working a specific sideline participate in the coach/official discussion befor the game. It's a way to "personalize" the entire "get back" issue and introduce the official who will be helping the coach with penalty details, or understanding who those details should be directed to if not the HC.

Starting the game on a friendle, helpful note has never caused a problem.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 04:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Not having the burden (luxury) of 6 and 7 man crews, I've found it a positive exchange to have the wing official working a specific sideline participate in the coach/official discussion befor the game. It's a way to "personalize" the entire "get back" issue and introduce the official who will be helping the coach with penalty details, or understanding who those details should be directed to if not the HC.

Starting the game on a friendle, helpful note has never caused a problem.
Our wings find "his" coach at an opportune moment in the 10 minutes before kickoff and does this one-on-one. I don't need to be there for this and this lets the coach and the wing start their working relationship without the R hovering nearby.

Lots of stuff happens in the 17 minutes or so between the coin toss and the kickoff. That's why I like that while we're meeting the coaches, the wings walk the field, fix the pylons and yard markers, and look for issues.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:32am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
As a basketball official I have been lurking on this thread am curious about this playoff game.
MTD, Sr.
During the R/U conference with the Home coach, the coach said to the U: "Hey, I remember you. You screwed me ten years ago when I was at (wherever) and we played (whomever). If you do that tonight, you won't get out of here alive."

After the conference the R found the Home AD & related the conversation to him. He said "I'll take care of it", and stood within earshot of the coach all night.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:34am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
We are on the field by 6:25PM. Every week. We're required to be there at 6:30PM, so I make sure we leave the school at 6:20PM.
7:30 kickoff?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
7:30 kickoff?
No, 7PM. We're required to be on the field 30 minutes prior.

If they made it 60 minutes prior, I think a substantial number of officials would quit.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, 7PM. We're required to be on the field 30 minutes prior.

If they made it 60 minutes prior, I think a substantial number of officials would quit.
As anyone familiar with Ohio knows, we have an extremely detailed and specific list of steps, starting at 6:00 required arrival (for a 7:30 kickoff). It is what it is....it has brought a level of uniformity and predictability in mechanics, especially when mixing officials from the various urban areas in the state as well as the many rural areas in the playoffs or filling in on other crews.

U's check the footballs here. It works pretty well, teams bring a bag with all their balls to the locker room between 6:00 and 6:50 when we're dressing, U marks the ball (the timer usually comes by around the same time to talk with R/LJ), entire crew meets with coaches at 6:55 (or so), coin flip at 7:10 (20 mins prior), and off we go.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
As anyone familiar with Ohio knows, we have an extremely detailed and specific list of steps, starting at 6:00 required arrival (for a 7:30 kickoff). It is what it is....it has brought a level of uniformity and predictability in mechanics, especially when mixing officials from the various urban areas in the state as well as the many rural areas in the playoffs or filling in on other crews.

U's check the footballs here. It works pretty well, teams bring a bag with all their balls to the locker room between 6:00 and 6:50 when we're dressing, U marks the ball (the timer usually comes by around the same time to talk with R/LJ), entire crew meets with coaches at 6:55 (or so), coin flip at 7:10 (20 mins prior), and off we go.
Our crew arrives no later than 5:45PM for a 7PM kickoff, so we're only 15 minutes behind Ohio. Sometimes we're there by 5:30PM.

My 5-person crew has been together for 8 years as a group now. We've taken on a sixth (a rookie) and he's in his 3rd year and works 4-5 games a season with us and also subvarsity and also works on other crews from time to time.

I admire Ohio's efforts at uniformity, actually. Some of the things I find odd, but from a macro perspective, there's a lot to like about it.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 12:24pm
Official & ***** Member

We're to be at game site 75 minutes before kickoff, and on the field no later than 45 minutes prior.

That said, travel distances & work schedules often preclude such timing. In my experience, most coaches around here are happy to see us 30 minutes prior.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our wings find "his" coach at an opportune moment in the 10 minutes before kickoff and does this one-on-one. I don't need to be there for this and this lets the coach and the wing start their working relationship without the R hovering nearby.

Lots of stuff happens in the 17 minutes or so between the coin toss and the kickoff. That's why I like that while we're meeting the coaches, the wings walk the field, fix the pylons and yard markers, and look for issues.
With most things in life, there's usually more than one way to successfully accomplish most any task. If a process works as intended, there's not much reason to change it.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 10:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
With most things in life, there's usually more than one way to successfully accomplish most any task. If a process works as intended, there's not much reason to change it.
There's value in the schools and coaches seeing a uniform experience every week.

BTW, one of our association officers talked to 5 big school varsity coaches after preseason scrimmages, and every one of the coaches said how much he hates the 5-on-1 meeting prior to the game. They all much prefer talking to the R/U only.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Our state office dictates the 5 on 1 meeting and that the entire crew attend and be a part of the coin toss. They are by the strict letter of the mechanics manual usually, expect on coin toss mechanics.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
John, you're not having a seizure are you?
No Welpe, that is just the way it pasted! Thanks for checking on me though!
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Our state office dictates the 5 on 1 meeting and that the entire crew attend and be a part of the coin toss. They are by the strict letter of the mechanics manual usually, expect on coin toss mechanics.
Your state must have its own mechanics manual. The NFHS manual only has the R/U meet the coaches.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 12:28pm
Chain of Fools

We take the field at 7:00 pm. Here all 5 meet, first with the home coach, R goes over the Big Question, any casts/splints/braces for my U to check, halftime, unusual plays, non-conference game- do you want to play OT?, LH/RH QB, introduce his wing official. Then on to the visiting coach- same thing. I've never had an HC ask to do the early coin toss, they always say "Nah let the kids do it".

We then go to our pre-game field duties, stretch, prepare for the coin toss.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Properly equipped, anything for the umpire to check, anything he wants to run by us.

If it's more than 90 seconds, my umpire tells me to STFU.