The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Can you change footballs?

I just became registered in our state for football, largely because I help coach my 11 year old's team and wanted a better understanding of crew mechanics, interps, etc. We use high school rules with some modifications (TCYFL) and have had really good crews work our games so far. I need help with a ruling: Can you change footballs for PATs? We have had conflicting rulings, one allowed the change and another prevented it. I know it is an easy answer for most of you, so I appreciate the effort. Thanks!
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

No you cannot. You must you the same ball for the entire series unless of course there are weather issues that the ball would need changing. In other words, no "kicking" balls in NF rules.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 12:01pm
Chain of Fools

1-3-2 states in part ...."Each team may use any referee approved ball of its choice to free kick or START A NEW SERIES OF DOWNS......"

Since the try is an extension of the prior series, the officials would be correct in not allowing a change of balls.

However 1-3-3 does allow the referee to change balls between downs in the event of a wet field.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I just became registered in our state for football, largely because I help coach my 11 year old's team and wanted a better understanding of crew mechanics, interps, etc. We use high school rules with some modifications (TCYFL) and have had really good crews work our games so far. I need help with a ruling: Can you change footballs for PATs? We have had conflicting rulings, one allowed the change and another prevented it. I know it is an easy answer for most of you, so I appreciate the effort. Thanks!
ART. 2 . . . Each team shall provide at least one legal game ball to the referee at the time the game officials assume authority for the contest. Only legal game balls approved by the referee may be used during the contest.

Each team may use any referee-approved ball of its choice to free kick or start a new series of downs. If a touchdown occurs following a change of possession and the scoring team did not put the ball in play, any referee-approved ball may be used for the try.

NOTE: By state association adoption, a specific ball which meets specifications may be mandated for postseason or state playoff competition.

You can not bring in a new ball just for the PAT if you had possession of the ball. The only way this can happen is if the field is wet and we have been changing the ball often due to this condition.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
1-3-2 states in part ...."Each team may use any referee approved ball of its choice to free kick or START A NEW SERIES OF DOWNS......"

Since the try is an extension of the prior series, the officials would be correct in not allowing a change of balls.

However 1-3-3 does allow the referee to change balls between downs in the event of a wet field.
Exactly. We had a punter try to bring his "punting ball" on with him on Friday night. Made me wonder how many times he's gotten away with it.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone else ever presented with a ball marked with a "K" and told "This is our kicking ball"?

Not tonight.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Anyone else ever presented with a ball marked with a "K" and told "This is our kicking ball"?

Not tonight.

I was filling in on a crew several years ago. The coach showed us the "kicking ball" they wanted to use. The seasoned white hat took the ball and called the QB over tossed him the ball and told him he would be using that ball for the first series. The QB said no way, and the R looked at the coach and said "guess we will not be using that ball tonight".
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
I was filling in on a crew several years ago. The coach showed us the "kicking ball" they wanted to use. The seasoned white hat took the ball and called the QB over tossed him the ball and told him he would be using that ball for the first series. The QB said no way, and the R looked at the coach and said "guess we will not be using that ball tonight".
I like it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

In a thread at Huey's now is a story of a coach whose snapper has uncommonly sweaty palms. He wanted the ball changed or at least wiped every down, but the referee wouldn't do it because in his opinion the ball was sticky rather than slippery.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I had a playoff game a few years back where the kicker brought me a ball before the game and wanted to use this ball during all kicks. The ball was about 15 years old, had no dimples left, slippery as heck, and the size of pillow. I asked him if he tought it was fair to use this ball, he said I have used it all season. I told him it was not a legal ball and I didn't think that his QB would appreciate using that ball. This kid was the returning All-State kicker...with a legal ball he kicked 6 or 7 kickoffs through the uprights.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
I had a playoff game a few years back where the kicker brought me a ball before the game and wanted to use this ball during all kicks. The ball was about 15 years old, had no dimples left, slippery as heck, and the size of pillow. I asked him if he tought it was fair to use this ball, he said I have used it all season. I told him it was not a legal ball and I didn't think that his QB would appreciate using that ball. This kid was the returning All-State kicker...with a legal ball he kicked 6 or 7 kickoffs through the uprights.
When you kick like that, the ball doesn't have to be 15 YO to get like that.