The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Had a sitch last night I want to check up on.

#1. I am T in front of Home Bench. Buzzer for end of 2nd Qtr goes off. Home coach turns to me and just starts screaming "Over the back" . He says this several times and I try talking gently and politely but he won't stop. So I T him. We shot the throws then went into the locker room. After the break The V had the arrow anyway so they started play. Should they ,the V ,have kept the arrow after the throw-in that started the 2nd half ?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

As per article 5-6-4, I believe that because the second quarter had ended when you assessed the technical foul, you should have started the second half with the free throws. V then gets the ball at the division line opposite the table for a throw-in associated with the techinical foul. There is no alternating possession throw-in, so V keeps the arrow, as well.

[Edited by Rick Durkee on Feb 9th, 2006 at 02:03 PM]
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Horn for 2nd quarter ends, don't turn around and talk to the coach. Walk away from the table like you're supposed to, wait for benches to clear, and then do your work at the table. Nothing good comes from talking to coaches at halftime.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rick

Yea well I dropped the ball on that one. Lesson learned. Thanks for the rules reference..

Trigger MN- He was screaming like 3 feet away from me. It needed to be addressed. He was so far over the line I couldn't even see where the line should have been. I attempted to practice game management skills-HE got what he earned. I understand there are times to walk away-i don't believe this is one of them. In retrospect I am glad I gave him the T. Didn't have any regrets on the way home about that one.

[Edited by Chess Ref on Feb 9th, 2006 at 01:52 PM]
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

The previous poster is correct. By rule, all penalties can only be assessed during the same period/half in which they occurred. Therefore, if horn sounds to end 2nd qtr; a T that occurs is considered to have occured during the 3rd qtr. Shoot the FT's prior to the start of the 3rd qtr (after half-time has elapsed); give the ball to V at mid-court opposite the table as part of the T penalty admin; DO NOT change the arrow.

I've found it good practice to have a "football meeting" after every T. Tell you're partner what you've got and how you're going to administer. That way you should be able to avoid any errors in administration.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 100% with jeffpea on quick meeting. Meeting also lets you get away from the coach for a second. If coach BEGS for a second tee, usually a good idea if can be given by your partner.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

If, by chance, there was a foul at the horn, resulting in one team shooting some free throws, and the coach earned his T before the free throws were shot, you would shoot the FTs as a part of the 2nd quarter, and then, the ensuing throw in would be based on the AP Arrow, as no penalty, or part of a penalty, for any foul or violation can carry over from one period to another.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 07:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
I've found it good practice to have a "football meeting" after every T. Tell you're partner what you've got and how you're going to administer. That way you should be able to avoid any errors in administration.
Saw this in a University game once. Ref gets baited into giving a T. He reports, then they all meet at centre, facing each other. It reminded me of that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation called 11001001 with the Binars. They stood facing each other and chirp to one other.

The refs did the same thing - it looked kinda dumb. Maybe it's something that has been resurrected. I dunno, maybe it's me. I've had Ps give out Ts over the past few years and almost each one I knew what it was for. No football meeting needed. Sure we talk for a second in passing, but it's no "football meeting".