The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Checking Footballs

Is there a maximum number of balls a team can have checked? I can't find anything in the rule book so I assume there is no limit. What is the most balls you would check for one team? Or would you let a team check as many balls as they want? Let me know...we had a coach insist that we check about 15 balls last Friday because is his words "he didn't want to limit himself"....
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes1978 View Post
Is there a maximum number of balls a team can have checked? I can't find anything in the rule book so I assume there is no limit. What is the most balls you would check for one team? Or would you let a team check as many balls as they want? Let me know...we had a coach insist that we check about 15 balls last Friday because is his words "he didn't want to limit himself"....
Like you said there is no limit. If it's raining or muddy they may want more so the ball boy's/ girls can get them clean and dry. Even then the most our U has checked is 6 or 7. Just don't let them slip in the "kicking ball"!
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Even then the most our U has checked is 6 or 7.
Why does your umpire check game balls?
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I'm also the umpire and check the balls. The referee delegates it to me.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2014, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The NFHS mechanics book dictates it. We found it last year and had no idea. We always used to have our R do it.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Do you mark them somehow?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I have been the U on my crew for 10 years and always check the footballs. I mark them with a sharpie marker. From looking at the footballs around the middle of the year, it appears that I am the only one that marks the acceptable balls.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 11:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The NFHS mechanics book dictates it. We found it last year and had no idea. We always used to have our R do it.
Our line judge checks the balls while the U is with me talking to the coaches. Manual or no manual, I'm using time in the wisest fashion.

Then again, we do the coin toss at 20 minutes.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Umpire:
1. Accompanyrefereeashe/shevisitswitheachheadcoach,examineand
rule on any player equipment about which the coach has a question of
legality.
2. Reviewanyappropriatedocumentationforequipmentandpa ds.
C. Linesman:Checkline-to-gainequipmentandmeetcrew.
D. Line Judge:
1. Securegameballsforreferee’sapprovalandmeetwithball persons.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 11:37am
Archaic Power Monger

John, you're not having a seizure are you?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares who checks the darn footballs. All that matters it is done.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I do it (U) after we (all 5 of us) meet with both coaches and right after the conclusion of the toss, which is almost always with 25 minutes before kickoff. We mention the ball check at tail end of pregame conference with each and ask HC's about any dedicated personnel for his game balls.

I look for two balls and will check what they have ready, if prepared. I have had heavy passing teams ask that I check 3 or 4, and if rain is imminent. Lots of times these are younger kids, I tell them the deal, get their names, we have them mirror the wing to that side and to always be ready.

Pump, gauge, and a mini green Sharpie I bring with me right out of the gate. I put a small x on both white stripes at opposite ends furthest from the laces toward mid seam on ball.

While that is taking place, R and LJ review field markings, pylons, field conditions, etc....(R visits clock operator if he doesn't come down, which he/she usually does). BJ and L will visit chain gang and confirm chains are properly set.

We walk out with captains from respective sidelines the wings are working, with R at midfield prior to toss. U with LJ and BJ with L. R goes with LJ, BJ with L off the field and U breaks away for ball check.

Last edited by Sturno; Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 12:43pm.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who cares who checks the darn footballs. All that matters it is done. Peace
Actually checking the footballs, and/or marking them, before the game can serve a useful preventive purpose, but EACH time ANY ball is brought into the game it should pass through the hands of the Umpire to assess it's viability, whether marked or unmarked.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 12:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Here our mechanics manual state that the B checks and marks the balls. If a ball isn't marked, it doesn't come in.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 12:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
I do it (U) after we (all 5 of us) meet with both coaches and right after the conclusion of the toss, which is almost always with 25 minutes before kickoff. We mention the ball check at tail end of pregame conference with each and ask HC's about any dedicated personnel for his game balls.

I look for two balls and will check what they have ready, if prepared. I have had heavy passing teams ask that I check 3 or 4, and if rain is imminent. Lots of times these are younger kids, I tell them the deal, get their names, we have them mirror the wing to that side and to always be ready.

Pump, gauge, and a mini green Sharpie I bring with me right out of the gate. I put a small x on both white stripes at opposite ends furthest from the laces toward mid seam on ball.

While that is taking place, R and LJ review field markings, pylons, field conditions, etc....(R visits clock operator if he doesn't come down, which he/she usually does). BJ and L will visit chain gang and confirm chains are properly set.

We walk out with captains from respective sidelines the wings are working, with R at midfield prior to toss. U with LJ and BJ with L. R goes with LJ, BJ with L off the field and U breaks away for ball check.
It takes 5 people to meet coaches? Or are the B/L/H there to protect you if the coach tries to injure the U?

R/U is sufficient. Let others do what they need to do and stop ganging up on the coaches.