The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 12:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Actually checking the footballs, and/or marking them, before the game can serve a useful preventive purpose, but EACH time ANY ball is brought into the game it should pass through the hands of the Umpire to assess it's viability, whether marked or unmarked.
On a kickoff the umpire touches the ball?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It takes 5 people to meet coaches? Or are the B/L/H there to protect you if the coach tries to injure the U?
You know how dangerous it is to let the U talk without being monitored.

Quote:
On a kickoff the umpire touches the ball?
This is probably true in NY since they still use 4 officials in a lot of places.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 01:42pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
It takes 5 people to meet coaches? Or are the B/L/H there to protect you if the coach tries to injure the U?
You jest, but we had an Umpire who was threatened by a HC prior to a playoff game last year.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 02:24pm

Teams can have balls inspected for approval at any time.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

This is probably true in NY since they still use 4 officials in a lot of places.
Sad, but unfortunately TRUE. For 4 man Kickoffs, the Umpire delegates that responsibility to the Head Linesman. The point is, anytime a new ball is introduced into the game, it should pass through an official's hands, even for a brief second.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 04:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You know how dangerous it is to let the U talk without being monitored.
Working a rare Saturday afternoon HS game this past week (rare for me, the college season doesn't start for another 12 days) and I'm working with a fill-in at the umpire position since our usual umpire was working the LLWS.

I asked the coach for his captain's numbers and when I got those, the umpire interrupted and said, "Who are your speaking captains?"

(Personally, I've contemplated losing asking for the captain's numbers line entirely since B/L/H can always record them during the coin toss.)

I guess he read my glare pretty well, cause afterwards he said, "I shouldn't have asked that, should I?" I said, "No, you just need to STFU." I didn't use the letters.

(Let me say that the U is a friend and a newer football official and I had a smile on my face.)

Probably should've handed him a Snickers as we were heading to the coaches.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Us umpires just can't catch a break around here!
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 09:00pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
(Personally, I've contemplated losing asking for the captain's numbers line entirely since B/L/H can always record them during the coin toss.)
You'd be SOL here, Rich. Somebody here decided a few years ago that we should turn and face our sideline to look for unsportsmanlike acts prior to and during the coin toss. Guess what most of our teams do, ....stay in the end zone. So then we send B down there if they are coming out of the same end to keep them apart. We end up staring at a couple of coaches, the ball boys, and a trainer, monitoring their behavior.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

R/U is sufficient. Let others do what they need to do and stop ganging up on the coaches.
We have always done it that way...and I do it that way with my 4 man JV crew as well, unless for some reason we are running late. That conference takes maybe a minute and a half to two minutes +/-, unless coach explains razzle-dazzle play or wants clarification on something.

Every crew I've been with or heading up since the early 90's has done it that way. Must be a Washington County thing.....

That said, we may be the one of the only crews in WI not into the wide stripes yet.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
We have always done it that way...and I do it that way with my 4 man JV crew as well, unless for some reason we are running late. That conference takes maybe a minute and a half to two minutes +/-, unless coach explains razzle-dazzle play or wants clarification on something.

Every crew I've been with or heading up since the early 90's has done it that way. Must be a Washington County thing.....

That said, we may be the one of the only crews in WI not into the wide stripes yet.

I think it's healthy to question practices from time to time. I can't imagine a single positive of a coach being ganged up on by 5 officials.

The R/U have specific reasons for being there. The rest? Have other jobs to do.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
You'd be SOL here, Rich. Somebody here decided a few years ago that we should turn and face our sideline to look for unsportsmanlike acts prior to and during the coin toss. Guess what most of our teams do, ....stay in the end zone. So then we send B down there if they are coming out of the same end to keep them apart. We end up staring at a couple of coaches, the ball boys, and a trainer, monitoring their behavior.
We do our coin tosses while the teams are still warming up, about 6:40PM for a 7PM kickoff. The rest of the players keep warming up on their sides of the field while we do this.

I like the timing, myself, but I always wonder how this became standard practice around here, when the rest of the football world (at least NCAA/NFL, anyway) does it right before the opening kickoff.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it's healthy to question practices from time to time. I can't imagine a single positive of a coach being ganged up on by 5 officials.

The R/U have specific reasons for being there. The rest? Have other jobs to do.
I don't really disagree, and would have no issue the other way....I'd like to see Wade's take on it, because there's at least 8 to 10 crews I know and/or have subbed with do it the same way, and quite a few of those go pretty deep in the playoffs or to Mad-town every year.

As far as the other jobs to do....you guys must come out late or really go deep into conversation with the chain crews and trainers with all the time you have left.

Last edited by Sturno; Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 12:58pm.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 01:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
We do our coin tosses while the teams are still warming up, about 6:40PM for a 7PM kickoff. The rest of the players keep warming up on their sides of the field while we do this.

I like the timing, myself, but I always wonder how this became standard practice around here, when the rest of the football world (at least NCAA/NFL, anyway) does it right before the opening kickoff.
Quite often around here we will have the actual coin toss off the field about 20-30 min before the game. Then we'll do a mock toss right before kick off.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 03:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
You jest, but we had an Umpire who was threatened by a HC prior to a playoff game last year.

As a basketball official I have been lurking on this thread am curious about this playoff game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
I don't really disagree, and would have no issue the other way....I'd like to see Wade's take on it, because there's at least 8 to 10 crews I know and/or have subbed with do it the same way, and quite a few of those go pretty deep in the playoffs or to Mad-town every year.

As far as the other jobs to do....you guys must come out late or really go deep into conversation with the chain crews and trainers with all the time you have left.
We are on the field by 6:25PM. Every week. We're required to be there at 6:30PM, so I make sure we leave the school at 6:20PM.

We take the time after the coin toss to observe the teams, talk to the ball boys, etc. We put 4 officials on the 30 yard line on each sideline and the BJ on the 50. No huddling, no congregating. It's all bidness.

At some point, we'll talk to ball boys, greet the trainer, and at some point in the last couple of minutes, I'll personally thank the chain crew and remind them that I keep a fast pace (I act like I'm kidding, but I'm not).

Knowing Wade, he'd ask "what's in the manual?" That said, it's not the kind of thing that would make or break a deep playoff run, IMO.

Oh, and love the wide stripes.

Quote:
Quite often around here we will have the actual coin toss off the field about 20-30 min before the game. Then we'll do a mock toss right before kick off.
The "simulated coin toss" has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen written in a manual/book. Thankfully, we simply do it at the 50-yard line -- at 20 minutes.

Conference rules dictate these kind of things.