The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

New kickoff rule

The new rule on kickoffs states there must be at least four players on each side of kicker on a kickoff. Does anyone know if this will be a dead ball foul?
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Official View Post
The new rule on kickoffs states there must be at least four players on each side of kicker on a kickoff. Does anyone know if this will be a dead ball foul?
Yes, it is a dead ball foul.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 08:44am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Yes, it is a dead ball foul.
That's interesting. At what point does it become a foul? When the ball is kicked?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's interesting. At what point does it become a foul? When the ball is kicked?
Yes...odd wording making the positioning based on the kicker starting at the RFP but the kicker isn't established until the ball is kicked. Would have made much more sense to say the foul occurs at the kick. I believe that's how most will officiate this.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 10:35am
Chain of Fools

See further discussion here:

2014 Comments on football rules changes...
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm from Iowa and we experimented with this rule for a couple of years. I don't remember one game that we had to enforce a penalty for there not being 4 on each side of the kicker. Also, while this may have changed, we were told that the penalty applied happened when the ball was kicked.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I wonder who calls this in high school or at least in 5 person mechanics? In 7 man/person, right now the Referee is the primary on this, but then again they are in the middle of the field. It is not impossible to call this from other positions, but we could get screened as to who is on which side of the ball if you are looking from the sideline.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have not called this once in games under NCAA rules where its been forever. I think its a live ball foul like offsides (in NCAA), but I'd have to check. Generally, on long kickoffs, you should pretty much ignore it anyway. Tell the coach to get it fixed and maybe flag it if they keep doing it. For short kickoffs and onsides you need to strictly enforce it.

I think they changed our mechanic in Texas to where the R, either at the pylon or in the center of the field, depending on how many officials and what mechanic choice the crew makes, makes the call.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2014, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I wonder who calls this in high school or at least in 5 person mechanics? In 7 man/person, right now the Referee is the primary on this, but then again they are in the middle of the field. It is not impossible to call this from other positions, but we could get screened as to who is on which side of the ball if you are looking from the sideline.

Peace
I agree with Texas Aggie. If the kick is deep don't worry about it as much. If it's an obvious onside kick where you put 4 guys in the box anyway move the R to the middle so he has a view of this. If they kick it deep you are going to be out of position anyway. If they do a surprise onside do the best you can with the guys in their normal position. You may or may not get it but that's the break with 5-man crews.