The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Video for review.

NFL RIGGED - 49ers defeat Seahawks / Refs Defeat 49ers - YouTube

A friend of mine asked me for my umpire's (baseball) opinion of this guy's theory.

I don't know enough about football to have an opinion and I don't care for conspiracy theories.

But I thought you all would be able to give him an honest opinion of the guy's thoughts

Thanks.

Rita

Last edited by APG; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 11:17pm. Reason: embed
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 10:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Honestly, they lost me completely at the injury. Then I laughed extensively at the holding call they wanted called, where the defender not only gets away, but influnces the play for the Russell Wilson to have to get away from him and juke to even make an silly pass. If someone in my area called that a hold, they will not be working much varsity, let alone any college game and certainly not any kind of sniff at the NFL.

Next thing they are going to say is the first play from scrimmage where Wilson fumbled the ball was all on the officials too.

It must all be true, it was on YouTube.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 10:44pm.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Clueless fan. A couple judgement calls that after reviewing on video were probably incorrect, but most of what he showed was just wrong.

I hadn't heard about the 32 second DOG. Did the play clock start late and start from 25? You would hope a deep wing would catch that, but it only takes missing it once to have this happen.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 11:06am
Chain of Fools

Does your "friend" actually believe this or just inquisitive.

If he is a believer then get him his tin foil hat. If he's just inquisitve, his time is better spent playing Candy Crush instead.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Clueless fan. A couple judgement calls that after reviewing on video were probably incorrect, but most of what he showed was just wrong.

I hadn't heard about the 32 second DOG. Did the play clock start late and start from 25? You would hope a deep wing would catch that, but it only takes missing it once to have this happen.
The game clock stopped for the play out of bounds, but the play clock started correctly. The game clock restarted after I'm guessing 8 seconds. Not to mention the tv clock could have been doing some "catch-up"
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Does your "friend" actually believe this or just inquisitive.

If he is a believer then get him his tin foil hat. If he's just inquisitve, his time is better spent playing Candy Crush instead.
He's an inquisitive 49er fan.

The fact that he's asking, and that he's asking an official for her opinion, means he really wants to learn. The Candy Crush comment is unwarranted.

Rita
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 10:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
He's an inquisitive 49er fan.

The fact that he's asking, and that he's asking an official for her opinion, means he really wants to learn. The Candy Crush comment is unwarranted.

Rita
Lighten up Rita. The comment was to illustrate how silly this video is to those that work football. And as an official yourself, you should really know a little better as well just on its face of this accusation. Do you really think there is a conspiracy to fix the outcome of games. And would not it be a better story to have the 49ers in the Super Bowl who would be going for a record 6 Super Bowl titles (tied with the Steelers) and going against the poster boy for the NFL who think they are the best ever? No one told the 49ers QB to throw to the side of one of the best cornerbacks in the game on the final play. Even if there was a conspiracy, the 49ers did not help their cause. That would be like saying, the ball 3 in the 3rd inning that could have been called strike 3 was the reason in the 9th inning the closer gave up the home run.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 08:29am
Chain of Fools

Thin skin is not a normal attribute for officiating.

If this were a normal game video clip, I can see giving a serous review to answer a valid question. Posing an obviously ludicrous composition contrived by an overzealous fan and expecting a measured, serious response is naive at best.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you really think there is a conspiracy to fix the outcome of games.
Right. This ain't the NBA.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 03:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Right. This ain't the NBA.
Yes the NBA told the San Antonio Spurs to miss a bunch of FTs and let Miami Lebron James get a rebound and make Ray Allen hit a big time 3 as a way to generate more money for Game 7.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 04:05am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
But I thought you all would be able to give him an honest opinion of the guy's thoughts
Bad calls? Yes. Conspiracy? No.

49ers hit on Seahawks TE: probably a good call. I can see both sides to the argument. Mike Pereira liked it so I will defer to his judgement.

49ers touchdown reversed: good call, the ball never appeared to break the plane. The injury on the next play is unfortunate, nothing more.

Holding on Aldon Smith by Russell Okung: bad no-call. Pretty clear holding.

Shove OOB by 49ers player: probably bad call. Not enough to draw a 15 yard personal foul.

Hold on Michael Crabtree: can't see it, the video does not give a good angle. I do remember thinking during the game that the Seahawks secondary was given a lot of leeway with regards to downfield contact on receivers that I did not think was consistent with all the other NFL games I watched this season. That trend continued in the Super Bowl, where there were several plays I thought were PI that were no-called.

Block on the back on kick return: not a block in the back.

Intentional grounding not called: from the end zone camera angle it was a close play. I thought Wilson was still in the pocket, but it could go either way.

Running into the punter: one of the two major (possession) calls that the crew got wrong. Clearly roughing the punter.

Marshawn Lynch spot: the video only shows the yellow line, which can be very inaccurate. Still, looks like a generous spot to me.

Aldon Smith offside: I can't hear a whistle. The D line players all know that offside is a play-on situation and they should keep going. They do stop for a second however, which might suggest they heard a whistle.

Navarro Bowman interception/fumble recovery: the second major call missed by the officials. Bowman ripped the ball away from the receiver and was clearly down by contact. The officials held their whistles, which allow Seattle time to pounce on the injured Bowman and simultaneously possess the ball (remember all ties go to the offense).

I do not know anything about the timing issues, someone else will have to address those.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
49ers hit on Seahawks TE: probably a good call. I can see both sides to the argument. Mike Pereira liked it so I will defer to his judgement.

Holding on Aldon Smith by Russell Okung: bad no-call. Pretty clear holding.

Shove OOB by 49ers player: probably bad call. Not enough to draw a 15 yard personal foul.

Intentional grounding not called: from the end zone camera angle it was a close play. I thought Wilson was still in the pocket, but it could go either way.

I do not know anything about the timing issues, someone else will have to address those.
I liked the UNR call. The defender clearly launched. It was only by luck that helmets didn't collide. Don't leave your feet and turn into a missile if you don't want to be subject to a foul. If that technically wasn't a foul it should be a foul.

There was not enough restriction on the Okung block to be a foul. Very borderline if it had been called. Make them big. I like the no-call.

I liked the PF on the push OOB. There was absolutely no reason for him to do anything at that point and the push was well after the ball had passed and out of bounds. Like the UNR, don't force the official to make a decision. You may not like his decision.

I read an article from a SF columnist who broke down this video and he said he saw a coach's video that showed Wilson likely did get outside the tackle box. Either way it was close and I would assume the "when-in-doubt" on this is to say he's out.

The DOG call is easy. The clock stopped when the runner went out of bounds. The play clock starts immediately but the game clock starts when the ball is spotted. A 6-second gap is very reasonable. The other one is odd but for some reason the officials called a timeout and reset the play clock. There are several possible reasons for it.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 03:47pm
AremRed

Quote:
Don't leave your feet and turn into a missile if you don't want to be subject to a foul.
Quote:
I liked the PF on the push OOB. There was absolutely no reason for him to do anything at that point and the push was well after the ball had passed and out of bounds. Like the UNR, don't force the official to make a decision. You may not like his decision.
While it is true that if you don't want the official to throw the flag don't do anything marginal, this is fallacious reasoning. The PF was marginal and similar contact by the Seahawks defense was not called.

Quote:
There was not enough restriction on the Okung block to be a foul. Very borderline if it had been called.
In my opinion, if Aldon Smith is not held he sacks Wilson. I would call that more than "borderline". This level of restriction gets called at every level of football: clearly an advantage gained as Smith has gotten past the tackle who has to hold him to prevent a significant pressure on the QB.

Quote:
Either way it was close and I would assume the "when-in-doubt" on this is to say he's out.
Given that the 49ers had an intentional grounding call earlier in the game, I would say the "when-in-doubt" thing to do is match up calls.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I read an article from a SF columnist who broke down this video and he said he saw a coach's video that showed Wilson likely did get outside the tackle box. Either way it was close and I would assume the "when-in-doubt" on this is to say he's out.
This is correct...if it's close, then the referee is to rule the passer out of the pocket area.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 10:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In my opinion, if Aldon Smith is not held he sacks Wilson. I would call that more than "borderline". This level of restriction gets called at every level of football: clearly an advantage gained as Smith has gotten past the tackle who has to hold him to prevent a significant pressure on the QB.
And if you call that in the NFL, you would not be there very long. Not only was Smith allowed to change direction when Wilson took another angle, he did not get taken down. Both his blocker and Smith extended their arms on each other. There was no restriction and would have been seen as very technical by the NFL and even those at the NCAA level. That would not be a hold in a varsity HS game IMO either.

Quote:
Given that the 49ers had an intentional grounding call earlier in the game, I would say the "when-in-doubt" thing to do is match up calls.
MIBT. Do not match up a call that might not have even been similar earlier in the game. Not all similar rules violations are the same type of plays.

Peace