Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Finally catching up to me...
http://users.bestweb.net/~robgood/football/try.txt
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 02:49am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Dang. Now if anyone asks me where they can read a 6281 word treatise on extra-point theory I know where to find one.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Dang. Now if anyone asks me where they can read a 6281 word treatise on extra-point theory I know where to find one.
And that one's about 15 years old. I'd've added a little to it if I'd kept it up to date.

Bottom line is, all forms of extra points are long overdue for abolition. And yet nobody can seem to bear to just do away with it, so they keep trying to fancy it up instead.

When I start a pro league, a TD will be 7 points and they'll just kick off afterward.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Considering that the game of Football is played at vastly different skill levels, especially as relates to the kicking game, why change a fundamental part of the game? "It ain't broke, why fix it".
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 03:47pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
And that one's about 15 years old. I'd've added a little to it if I'd kept it up to date.

Bottom line is, all forms of extra points are long overdue for abolition. And yet nobody can seem to bear to just do away with it, so they keep trying to fancy it up instead.

When I start a pro league, a TD will be 7 points and they'll just kick off afterward.
Nah. Just do it like rugby. Kick the PAT from where the score happened. If a touchdown pass is caught in the corner of the end zone, attempt the PAT from near the sideline.

Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"It ain't broke, why fix it".
Because at the NFL level, its near automatic and useless. I think the NFL is like Fed where if Team B secures possession, the try is ended. So at least in NCAA rules, there is a reason for both teams to continue with the try -- for now.

The kicking game, except possibly for field goals, is on its way out of the game. Its just a matter of someone coming up with a viable idea on how to replace it.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

No more kicking PAT's. Put it in play from the 2 for 1 point, or from the 5 for 2 pts. PAT is about the only time you have to do damn near nothing to score. Make 'em earn it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
No more kicking PAT's. Put it in play from the 2 for 1 point, or from the 5 for 2 pts. PAT is about the only time you have to do damn near nothing to score. Make 'em earn it.
Why should a major score confer an opp'ty for an add'l minor score of any kind, by any means?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

A solution in search of a problem.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I've also heard a rumor that there is discussion about awarding additional points for a FG based on the distance of the kick.

Anybody have any info about this?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Because at the NFL level, its near automatic and useless. I think the NFL is like Fed where if Team B secures possession, the try is ended. So at least in NCAA rules, there is a reason for both teams to continue with the try -- for now.

The kicking game, except possibly for field goals, is on its way out of the game. Its just a matter of someone coming up with a viable idea on how to replace it.
Never worked in Texas, but a good deal of Collegiate, a lot of High School and without question at the Youth Football levels, the kicking game is anything but automatic, and is more of an adventure where just about anything can happen.

Maybe there should be a game with no kicking, or a variety of other different rules and objectives. American Football is said to have evolved, or at least be greatly influenced by, Rugby. Instead of tinkering with something that's working as well as EVER expected, someone might come up with something new.

Has Coca-Cola ever got close to it's market share before announcing it's "new" formula?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Has Coca-Cola ever got close to it's market share before announcing it's "new" formula?
It exceeded its previous share and totals.

If you were designing a game from scratch, it'd be very unlikely you'd include "extra points" of any kind. Sometimes games (quiz shows, most commonly) have a qualifying goal that allows you to try for a score, or a greater score if the qualifying goal scores by itself, but not the reverse.

I suspect the retention of the PAT was abetted by the (American) Football Rules Committee's removing the goals from the goal lines. If that hadn't happened, probably the try would've gone away by no later than 1925, Canadian football would've done similarly, and of course the 2 pt. conversion would never have been devised. But once the goals were on the end lines, there were a lot of HS teams that probably never attempted a goal except via try, so the try was considered significant, and then when their players got to college they were used to it, and since there was only one rules committee for American football, there was not much thought given to formulating rules only for HS.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 07:00am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A solution in search of a problem.
Exactly how I feel also.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

The Europeans already joke about how American footballs aren't shaped like a ball and rarely get touched by a foot. I've heard the phrase "hand-egg" from more than one person. I can only imagine what they will say when the NFL does away with kickoffs and tries.