The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
You're calling a player defenseless when he isn't defenseless. How is that at all logical? I can't like or dislike what isn't there.
I'm calling him defenseless because I recognize that the term is a rule book term used to denote special protections afforded to a player due to actions he's performing...or due to his position and the effect on a team that would come if they were opened up to what in the NFL see as unnecessary roughness as a means to complete the given task by a blocker. The exact same protections are given to a QB on a change of possession!

If you can't see the NFL's logic/reasoning behind the rule (and I'm not even saying you have to agree with it...but it is there plain as day), then there's nothing anyone else can say that will shed anymore light.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:20pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I'm calling him defenseless because I recognize that the term is a rule book term used to denote special protections afforded to a player due to actions he's performing...or due to his position and the effect on a team that would come if they were opened up to what in the NFL see as unnecessary roughness as a means to complete the given task by a blocker. The exact same protections are given to a QB on a change of possession!

If you can't see the NFL's logic/reasoning behind the rule (and I'm not even saying you have to agree with it...but it is there plain as day), then there's nothing anyone else can say that will shed anymore light.
I understand what the NFL's reasoning is (I wouldn't call it logic), obviously I don't agree with it. If teams are so concerned about losing a punter or QB, they should coach them not to put themselves in a position to get laid out. Most players have the sense not to put themselves in that position to begin with. See Pat McAfee's comments.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're calling a player defenseless when he isn't defenseless. How is that at all logical? I can't like or dislike what isn't there.
No he's not. You have invented your own definition of "defenseless" that doesn't match the NFL's. The punter and kicker are specifically defined as being defenseless throughout the down for the purposes of this rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
No he's not. You have invented your own definition of "defenseless" that doesn't match the NFL's. The punter and kicker are specifically defined as being defenseless throughout the down for the purposes of this rule.
I understand that they're defenseless by rule, but they're not defenseless in reality. They're free to pursue or not pursue the play just like anyone else on the field.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that they're defenseless by rule, but they're not defenseless in reality. They're free to pursue or not pursue the play just like anyone else on the field.
And they're free to be blocked, just not above the shoulders or launched into.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
And they're free to be blocked, just not above the shoulders or launched into.
Like I said, no logic to it.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Like I said, no logic to it.
So what do you want from us?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
So what do you want from us?
I was just curious if there was a logical reason that I couldn't think of for the punter being "defenseless" for the duration of the play by rule. Seems there isn't one, or at least not one that's been stated so far.

There's a reason you don't generally see a lot of QBs throwing blocks or going all out for a tackle after an interception. It's not something that should be legislated.

Last edited by hbk314; Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 03:15pm.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:14pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
I was just curious if there was a logical reason that I couldn't think of for the punter being "defenseless" for the duration of the play by rule. Seems there isn't one, or at least not one that's been stated so far.
The rationale was stated in the very first reply to your question, in post #2.

Are you just quibbling about the word "defenseless?" Some players receive special protections due to the fact that there is no substitute for them. Would you prefer "protected player?" That's all that's at stake here.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:18pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
The rationale was stated in the very first reply to your question, in post #2.

Are you just quibbling about the word "defenseless?" Some players receive special protections due to the fact that there is no substitute for them. Would you prefer "protected player?" That's all that's at stake here.
It would make slightly more sense, but it's still not a situation that calls for a special rule.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It would make slightly more sense, but it's still not a situation that calls for a special rule.
Apparently, people with far higher pay grades than you or me disagree.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:16pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Do you realize that the NFL only dresses about 45 players for a game out of a 53 man roster and there's no back up punter or kicker?
There's your situation that calls for a special rule.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:24pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Do you realize that the NFL only dresses about 45 players for a game out of a 53 man roster and there's no back up punter or kicker?
There's your situation that calls for a special rule.
The solution is to coach your punter not to put himself in the "war zone" or to stay out of the play altogether. Not to legislate things to protect people from their own stupidity.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The solution is to coach your punter not to put himself in the "war zone" or to stay out of the play altogether. Not to legislate things to protect people from their own stupidity.
Okay...and then each punt/kick off return...or anytime there's a change of possession with the QB, it would be 10 v. 11.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Okay...and then each punt/kick off return...or anytime there's a change of possession with the QB, it would be 10 v. 11.
That's the risk you take.