The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

3 fouls on one play

Lions/Packers game.

On a play that was a completed pass near the sideline there was offensive holding before the pass, defensive holding before the pass, and a dead ball late hit out of bounds against the defense. 3 flags on the ground.

Under NFHS rules we would offset the two live ball fouls but administer the dead ball late hit correct? If so, the enforcement would be from previous LOS and the down would be replayed after marching off 15 yds. against B.

The NFL R announced that the late hit was declined. I thought that seeded odd.

Do you all agree or am I missing something?
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos_man99 View Post
Lions/Packers game.

On a play that was a completed pass near the sideline there was offensive holding before the pass, defensive holding before the pass, and a dead ball late hit out of bounds against the defense. 3 flags on the ground.

Under NFHS rules we would offset the two live ball fouls but administer the dead ball late hit correct? If so, the enforcement would be from previous LOS and the down would be replayed after marching off 15 yds. against B.

The NFL R announced that the late hit was declined. I thought that seeded odd.

Do you all agree or am I missing something?
It was part of the offset. I knew what he meant.

NCAA/NFHS: Yes, we'd offset the previous fouls, march off 15, replay the down (unless the yardage resulted in a first down).
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 08:58am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos_man99 View Post
If so, the enforcement would be from previous LOS and the down would be replayed after marching off 15 yds. against B.

The NFL R announced that the late hit was declined. I thought that seemed odd.
Tiny quibble about your enforcement: you're right that the 2 live-ball fouls would constitute a double foul and the penalties offset. But the DB foul would be administered from the succeeding spot.

In this case, that happens to be the previous spot (not the LOS, which goes all the way across the field). But it would not always be for DB fouls, especially if you had multiple DB fouls on the play.

For NFL, I believe that the DB foul is declined by rule in this situation. He omitted to say that, which made it seem as if the offended team declined it.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 02:31pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
For NFL, I believe that the DB foul is declined by rule in this situation. He omitted to say that, which made it seem as if the offended team declined it.
Given all the hoo-hah about "player safety", one would think the NFL would re-visit that.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yet what's the first thing most players do after they score? They head-butt their teammates.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFL rules, live ball and dead ball penalties by opponents combine to create a double foul

Rule 14, Section 4, Article 9

Item 3: Live Ball and Dead Ball Fouls. Live Ball Fouls and Dead Ball Fouls combine to create Double Fouls or Multiple Fouls, and all customary rules for enforcement apply
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Under NFL rules, live ball and dead ball penalties by opponents combine to create a double foul

Rule 14, Section 4, Article 9

Item 3: Live Ball and Dead Ball Fouls. Live Ball Fouls and Dead Ball Fouls combine to create Double Fouls or Multiple Fouls, and all customary rules for enforcement apply
To do that, the dead ball foul(s) has to be in the action immediately following the end of the down, i.e. what NFL used to call a continuing action foul. So that applies in the case of the late hit, but does not invite the mayhem you might suppose, because it would not apply if a few secs. went by and then someone slugged someone.