The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

reported two different fouls on same play

We had a situation in our district rescently that I'm not sure about.

The gym was extremely loud and it was a tight game. A1 drives to the basket and crashes into B1. Lead comes up with a whistle in his primary (well kinda the dual coverage area) and yells "BLOCK" BLOCK"... same time but not knowing it trail comes in with a charge yelling "THAT WAY"....

Neither of them even realize there is a double whistle. Lead goes to table and reports his block then not seeing him trail goes to table and reports charge.

Long story short they recorded both fouls and went to point of interuption.

I'm guessing Lead didn't pause after his whistle and trail didn't close down on his call.

Question: even though it was totaly botched by the officials did they report and administer everything correctly?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Classic blarge situation.

Report both fouls.

Edit: Damn Chrome. Where was the ball when the fouls were called?

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 12:44am.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post

The gym was extremely loud and it was a tight game. A1 drives to the basket and crashes into B1. Lead comes up with a whistle in his primary (well kinda the dual coverage area) and yells "BLOCK" BLOCK"... same time but not knowing it trail comes in with a charge yelling "THAT WAY"....

Neither of them even realize there is a double whistle. Lead goes to table and reports his block then not seeing him trail goes to table and reports charge.

I'm guessing Lead didn't pause after his whistle and trail didn't close down on his call.

Question: even though it was totaly botched by the officials did they report and administer everything correctly?
A living breathing version of 4.19.8C.

This is what the case play was written for.

I knew it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. How did the Lead go to the table and report a block, then the Trail go to the table and report a PC foul and neither of them knew it? The gym can be as loud as a jet engine and I'm going to know that my partner is at the table reporting something.

2. Assuming they didn't know the other one reported a foul, how did they know to go to the POI? Mind reading?

3. If this was a 2-whistle game, they should have yielded to the Lead and let him have the first crack at the play since it was coming at him. The Trail didn't hold his preliminary it sounds like. It has nothing to do with "closing down".

4. Yes, they got it right in the end. It's a blarge and you go to the POI. I just don't understand how they could each have a foul and report them separately and never figure out that the other guy had been at the table, but somehow know to go to the POI?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
1. How did the Lead go to the table and report a block, then the Trail go to the table and report a PC foul and neither of them knew it? The gym can be as loud as a jet engine and I'm going to know that my partner is at the table reporting something.

2. Assuming they didn't know the other one reported a foul, how did they know to go to the POI? Mind reading?

3. If this was a 2-whistle game, they should have yielded to the Lead and let him have the first crack at the play since it was coming at him. The Trail didn't hold his preliminary it sounds like. It has nothing to do with "closing down".

4. Yes, they got it right in the end. It's a blarge and you go to the POI. I just don't understand how they could each have a foul and report them separately and never figure out that the other guy had been at the table, but somehow know to go to the POI?
It was a 3 whistle game. I'm assuming that L didn't pause and ran to the table on one side of the players and T didn't close down or L certanly would have seen him.

I'm really not sure while trying to put myself in that situation how you wouldn't have seen each other but they didn't.

I just heard some guys telling me about it 3rd party

My question was if they got it right after the blarge
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've been there, but fortunately, we both had the same call. I'm C, dribbler runs over defender on my block. I come up with a PC and close down (not enough). I see L start to (I think) transition down court. The long switch in 3 person was new to me then, so I was only slightly confused by this.
I turn, report my foul, and go back to administer the throw-in.
What I didn't know, was L was not transitioning for the switch, he was going around the backside of the players (I was table side) to report his foul and then took his proper position as new C, opposite table.

At the quarter break, the T comes up to us and asks if we realize we'd both reported the same foul.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A living breathing version of 4.19.8C.

This is what the case play was written for.

I knew it.
Tell that to all the D1 officials who are calling regular blarges by the case play.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've been there, but fortunately, we both had the same call. I'm C, dribbler runs over defender on my block. I come up with a PC and close down (not enough). I see L start to (I think) transition down court. The long switch in 3 person was new to me then, so I was only slightly confused by this.
I turn, report my foul, and go back to administer the throw-in.
What I didn't know, was L was not transitioning for the switch, he was going around the backside of the players (I was table side) to report his foul and then took his proper position as new C, opposite table.

At the quarter break, the T comes up to us and asks if we realize we'd both reported the same foul.
I could see how that could happen being new. The guys it happened to were seasoned officials however. But yes as one man said sh*t happens.

and yes that word is cencored so must be profane lol.....sorry couldn't resist
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I could see how that could happen being new. The guys it happened to were seasoned officials however.
Assumptions and mistakes that happen to newer guys can happen to vets, just less often. Our whistles were obviously simultaneous, as neither heard the other.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Assumptions and mistakes that happen to newer guys can happen to vets, just less often. Our whistles were obviously simultaneous, as neither heard the other.
That's proof that officials should use different whistles, such as the Acme Thunder pea whistle! Then CHSeagle's question wouldn't get deleted!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
no doubt! That was just one of those ones you hope never happens to you...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
no doubt! That was just one of those ones you hope never happens to you...
Yep, and I was thankful we made the same call.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game!!

This happened to me a couple years ago. We had to report both fouls. Now its well discussed in my pregame... If you're prepared for the situation, then chances are it won't happen, and it hasn't for me.

I do recall at the time it happened we came together as a crew and discussed coming out with only one foul, but couldn't by rule.