The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:40am
M.A.S.H.

"Sleeper" Play

TN Sleeper Play 484892) - YouTube

Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:10pm
Medium Kahuna

Unfair act. Kill it, UNS prior to the snap, 15 yards.

These plays run afoul of the principle in (NFHS) 9.9.1B COMMENT:

"Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn't imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And now every middle school and pop warner coach who sees this video, runs the play, and gets moved back 15 yards is going to scream.
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

"Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn't imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."
At first I thought that was what happened, but I wonder if the defense just fell asleep while the offense was acting like they were doing one of those "stop and look at the sidelines to see what play we're calling" things. If it was that, then shame on them.
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 01:06pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
At first I thought that was what happened, but I wonder if the defense just fell asleep while the offense was acting like they were doing one of those "stop and look at the sidelines to see what play we're calling" things. If it was that, then shame on them.
I'd be more inclined to accept that explanation if the linemen weren't all standing up and standing still at the snap after having been "down" in a 2-point stance.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Man, I have always been opposed to trick plays that were unethical or flat out illegal but this one does not seem to fit even in my book.

Why is it illegal?
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Man, I have always been opposed to trick plays that were unethical or flat out illegal but this one does not seem to fit even in my book.

Why is it illegal?
Because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

did anyone say anything? Just the fact that they stood up and looked at the sidelines?
that is all it takes?
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:58pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
did anyone say anything? Just the fact that they stood up and looked at the sidelines?
that is all it takes?
Just as in baseball, where the pitcher has legal and illegal ways to deceive a baserunner, so in football the offense has legal and illegal ways to deceive the defense.

Shifts, motion, reverses, hard counts, pump fakes, and play/action passes are all legal and widely accepted modes of deceiving the defense.

Sneaking a receiver from the sideline into the formation at the snap, illegal formations, illegal shifts, and many other "trick" plays are illegal modes of deceiving the defense.

NFHS has articulated the principle I quoted to help officials understand where the line should be drawn between legal and illegal deception. Actions or words that are intended to suggest that a snap is not imminent are illegal. They do not afford the defense a fair opportunity to play the down. The play in the OP qualifies, IMHO.

I think that this play is closer to the line than many. We see many teams that run a no-huddle offense and signal in their calls after the linemen have set. I could see a version of this play where the linemen did not stand up that I'd probably rule as legal: if the line is ready to go, then the defense had better be as well.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I just cannot say it.......

I am not so sure that I agree this is illegal either. The players do what they always do by standing up to get some signal from the sideline. Unless the players said something in addition, I cannot see this as an illegal play.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that is all it takes?
Quote:
actions or verbiage
standing up and looking at the sideline is the very definition of an action that would make the defense think a snap is not imminent.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not so sure that I agree this is illegal either. The players do what they always do by standing up to get some signal from the sideline. Unless the players said something in addition, I cannot see this as an illegal play.

Peace
"What they always do" is get that signal and then reset. Getting that signal but not resetting is most definitely deceiving the defense into thinking a snap is not imminent.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
"What they always do" is get that signal and then reset. Getting that signal but not resetting is most definitely deceiving the defense into thinking a snap is not imminent.
I would like a ruling from my state association to go with a penalty here. Otherwise the defense should be aware that they can snap the ball in this situation. If the QB moved to the sideline then I would agree. But I am not convinced without some guidance from the state to say for sure. And I see your point as well as others, but I think that this is not clearly a foul.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would like a ruling from my state association to go with a penalty here. Otherwise the defense should be aware that they can snap the ball in this situation. If the QB moved to the sideline then I would agree. But I am not convinced without some guidance from the state to say for sure. And I see your point as well as others, but I think that this is not clearly a foul.

Peace
Just got a message from the head clinician.

Does he like the play? "No."

Nonetheless, he rules it legal.

I will forward you his message, JRut.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 02:40pm.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Just got a message from the head clinician.

Does he like the play? "No."

Nonetheless, he rules it legal.

I will forward you his message, JRut.
Got the email. Thanks.

Peace