The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Free Kick & Momentum

K is kicking off into a stiff wind. Low squib kick bounces through until one of the R deep players muffs the kick and I start the clock as the ball bounces inside the 5. R recovers the kick at the 1.5 and his momentum carries him into the end zone. I toss my bean bag out to the 1.5. About half of K gives up, R runs it out. K's coach starts screaming, "He can't run it out of the end zone." R return to the 40 and fumbles, K recovers. R's coach rushes down the sideline pointing at the end zone, "that should have been a touchback, you can't run it out of the end zone." I explained, "The kick was recovered at the 1 and carried into the end zone, it was not a kick into the end zone." I wanted to say, "if your kid hadn't fumbled would you be wanting that touchback?"

Since both coaches didn't get it, I ask you, my colleagues two questions:

1st: am I missing a rule here, kick ended at the 1, not a touchback, ball stayed live, right?

2nd: mechanically did I do things correct or could some mechanic thing better communicated the result?
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 10:11am
Archaic Power Monger

It sounds like you did everything correctly. Wound the clock when first touched by R, bagged the recovery of a kick inside the 5 and correctly let the play continue.

Your understanding of the rule is correct. A kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is dead. As soon as the ball was possessed in the field of play, it was no longer a kick. There is nothing preventing Team R from running a live ball out of the end zone.

Good job!
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 10:31am
Chain of Fools

Sounds like you administered correctly.

Can't do much about a coaches inability to recall or comprehend a rule.

If you were mic'd up, you could do a Hochuli-esque explanation to the stadium.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 11:55am
Medium Kahuna

Just explain the ruling as best you can. I had to convince the R coach last night that it wasn't a touchback when a K player downed a punt at the R-1 with his heels on the GL.

Of course, I had a little practice because I had the opportunity to explain it to my fill-in BJ first, after he had helpfully signaled a TB (using the NFL mechanic).
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Just explain the ruling as best you can. I had to convince the R coach last night that it wasn't a touchback when a K player downed a punt at the R-1 with his heels on the GL.

Of course, I had a little practice because I had the opportunity to explain it to my fill-in BJ first, after he had helpfully signaled a TB (using the NFL mechanic).

Ouch! I think I would rather have the Reverend's issue than yours!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith