The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

In reference to the federation plays of the week, I want to take issue with the 1st rule.

"Play: Team A's kickoff lands at the six-yard line and bounces high in the air. Receiver B81 gets possession of the ball at his three-yard line and his momentum carries him into the end zone where he is tackled.

Ruling: Safety; the momentum rule does not apply because the ball was recovered, not caught (8-5-2a Exc.)."

I agree the rule book says that momentum involves "catching" a kick and the word "catch" means to secure possession of a ball in flight. The question is still whether a kick that has bounced high in the air should be considered to be a "ball in flight". Notice I said "should"!

I feel the federation rules committee needs to look at this one and define it more clearly. My opinion (which is like, well we know everybody has one) is that the purpose of the rule is to give the receiver protection from a safety when he can't stop from going into the endzone while he is trying to secure possession of a kick. I've had screaming line drive kicks towards the corner that have hit the ground and while trying to retrieve the kick, the receiver's momentum has forced him into the endzone where he has slipped trying to come out. I can't give him a safety and so far, our state has backed up this call.

It's definitely one to discuss, maybe make it a little more clear and let's review the definition of this "catch".

Would love to have everyone's thoughts!

Now when you comment, think about what you think it should be, not necessarily how you think the rule book reads!

I remember my 1st game as a referee (many years ago) before the momentum rule was in affect and a kid caught the ball, backing up, on the 2, slipped and fell on his knee in the endzone and I had to give him a safety. Happened at the big jamboree in Williams Brice stadium in Columbia, S.C. I was scared to death about making the right call when I held up my safety signal! At the time, it was the right call, the momentum rule started a couple of years later. I felt then that it was a tough call to give him a safety and I feel it's a tough one to give on a line drive bouncer too. I was glad to see them change that rule then and I'd love to see them clear it up now!!

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

A catch is a catch is a catch. That's how I think it should be. There's no reason to change the rule. If we're going to change the definition of a catch then we also have to change the fair catch rule and allow a fair catch after the ball has hit the ground. It's a simple requirement. Catch the ball in flight and you benefit from the rule. Catch it on the hop and you don't.

On your screaming line drive kick, the rules are already in place. All he has to do is allow the ball to go into the EZ and he gets a TB. Or he can let it go OOB and get the ball at the 35. If it's a punt, then you're depriving the kicking team of making an outstanding play by kicking such a difficult kick to handle.

"I can't give him a safety and so far, our state has backed up this call."

Has a coach challenged your call in such a case. Becasue if he has, I have to say that he's right and what you're doing is wrong. It's a safety. You're setting aside a rule because you don't like it. And if SC is backing you up, well, I'm glad I live north of the state line. How many other rules does the state allow you guys to ignore?

You asked for opinions, that's mine.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Enforce the rule

I agree with the previous reply. Just because you don't think it's a fair to the receiving team doesn't mean that its any less unfair to the kicking team to take away both points and possession (subsequent to the ensuing free kick). You are severely penalizing the kicking team in enforcing your view.

The receiver has an option in the scenario you describe - attempt to secure the ball, or allow it enter the EZ untouched. If he makes a bonehead decision to try and field a kick that has bounced inside his 5, he deserves the result of the play.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Correction

My apologies if I caused any confusion. I call under NCAA rules which, if correctly applied, allow for the "momentum rule" to come into effect when catching OR recovering a kick (8-5-1-b, exceptions 1 and 2). This would make our discussion moot under NCAA rules.

I have no idea what the Fed ruling would be, but would encourage you to make the call according to the rules.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

That's my point!!

I shouldn't have brought this up I guess or maybe I worded it wrong!

What I was looking for were your thoughts as to whether the rule should be changed to allow this, like the NCAA, not opinions as to whether we should follow the rules or not! I agree we should follow the rules. But every year, some rules are changed. And lately, they've been changing to more closely match the NCAA rules.

NF is always looking for input from officials, and I just thought this was a chance for some to give it on this one, but I guess not.

It's amazing how we sometimes attack each other, or another organization! Instead of discussing the rule and it's intent, some of you went after the mistake. But after reading a lot of the responses in here, there seems to be a lot of ego responses, I'm right, you're wrong! There have been rules over the years I haven't agreed with and thankfully, most have been changed for the betterment of the game. There are now only a few I'd like to see changed. But I certainly won't put them out here!

Thanks anyway!

Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think your real question was, "How do I go about having a rule change considered?" I have no idea who is on the National Federation rules committee, but I'll bet you can find out. Check with your local chapter officers and see if anyone knows someone on the rules committee. Write them a letter describing your position on the rule and ask for them to consider a change. Or just write to National Federation headquarters and put "Attn: Football Rules Committee". I'll bet they'd like to have your input.

A completely separate issue is the one regarding enforcing the rules as they are written. Mistakenly, maybe we jumped on you about that issue and missed your point entirely. My apologies.

We don't always enforce every rule to the "letter of the law". For example, sometimes we let holding go when its away from the point of attack and has no bearing on the play. Knowing how to apply the rules is as important as knowing them. Which can you use your own judgement in bending and which are iron clad? This is a fine point of officiating that we all learn from experience and from each other. Posting your questions here is a good way to check your application of the rules against others across the country. Don't stop.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

You asked for opinions. If you can't accept what's posted, then you're right, maybe you shouldn't post again. No one attacked you. I simply pointed out a mistake that you didn't think was a mistake. You were wrong. You can't expect a group of officials to ignore the misapplication of the rules.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way. Good luck.

Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

See what I mean!, The repsonse I was talking about!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member