The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Rules Question

What is your call on this play (NFHS rules). The play starts with 6.9 seconds left in the game, with BBR (black uniforms) trying to come back for the win.

DLS vs. BBR 9-21-13 - YouTube

Personally I think there is intentional grounding on the play, and the clock should stop with approximately 2.5 seconds left for the incomplete pass (which is grounding).

The question is when does the clock restart (snap or ready for play) and and where should the ball be spotted for the next play.

The game ended with BBR getting a last second TD to win the game 26-24.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:00pm
Medium Kahuna

Looks like IGR to me, even though there was an eligible receiver nearby. The presence of an eligible does not automatically rule out IGR.

As with any incomplete forward pass, legal or illegal, the clock will start on the snap after penalty enforcement. 3-4-3e
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Looks like IGR to me, even though there was an eligible receiver nearby. The presence of an eligible does not automatically rule out IGR.

As with any incomplete forward pass, legal or illegal, the clock will start on the snap after penalty enforcement. 3-4-3e
Couple of things.

1- There are NO eligible receivers anywhere near the pass. There are only 5 offensive linemen. As you said it really makes no difference. This should have been IG.

2- If the ball is intentionally grounded to stop the clock, the referee should start the clock on the ready for play whistle. (3-4-6)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

An easy IG call.

5 receivers down field, 5 linemen, 1 QB

Clock starts on the ready
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
An easy IG call.

5 receivers down field, 5 linemen, 1 QB

Clock starts on the ready
Ok, I think we can all agree it should have been IG. The next question comes from the opposing team coming on the field to celebrate what they think is the end of the game. The officials has wait until the field is clear before signally ready for play.

Now, what about the penalty for the IG. Supposedly the officials marked the ball at the 40 yard line, and Brother Rice scored the TD on a game ending hail mary.

Did they get the spot correct?
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Ok, I think we can all agree it should have been IG. The next question comes from the opposing team coming on the field to celebrate what they think is the end of the game. The officials has wait until the field is clear before signally ready for play.

Now, what about the penalty for the IG. Supposedly the officials marked the ball at the 40 yard line, and Brother Rice scored the TD on a game ending hail mary.

Did they get the spot correct?
Illegal Pass is a Running Play and enforcement is from the End of the Run with Loss of Down ... Looks like it was 2nd & 10+ at the 35 and the run ended at the 43 yard line. Next down should be 3 & 24ish from the 48.
- No foul on B for coming onto the field to celebrate ... looks like they thought the game was over perhaps the clock hit 0:00 because R did not signal Incomplete Pass. Notice how A's team bench appears to be pointing at the clock.
- I would go with clock on the snap because I believe the QB was trying avoid a loss rather than to conserve time.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
Illegal Pass is a Running Play and enforcement is from the End of the Run with Loss of Down ... Looks like it was 2nd & 10+ at the 35 and the run ended at the 43 yard line. Next down should be 3 & 24ish from the 48.
- No foul on B for coming onto the field to celebrate ... looks like they thought the game was over perhaps the clock hit 0:00 because R did not signal Incomplete Pass. Notice how A's team bench appears to be pointing at the clock.
- I would go with clock on the snap because I believe the QB was trying avoid a loss rather than to conserve time.
If he gets sacked, the clock continues to run and the game is over. He's trying to conserve time.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If he gets sacked, the clock continues to run and the game is over. He's trying to conserve time.
I agree.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I agree.
Make that 3!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 08:23pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If the ball is intentionally grounded to stop the clock, the referee should start the clock on the ready for play whistle. (3-4-6)
Right you are. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Why didn't the white hat throw a flag if it was obviously IG?
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Because we all have different judgments. And there is a reason some officials get opportunities and others do not. This looked pretty obvious to me and would have been an easy sells as far as I am concerned.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Because he apparently made a mistake in identifying a lineman as an eligible receiver.....

I also saw a clip of the touchdown pass that won the game. It looks like a receiver was covered up and advance down field at the snap.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump33 View Post
A very good philosophy to use is when time is short in a half and a QB intentionally grounds the ball, he's a lot more worried about time than yardage. If there are 2 minutes or less remaining and you have IG, start on the RFP. He's trying to illegally conserve time.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Because he apparently made a mistake in identifying a lineman as an eligible receiver.....

I also saw a clip of the touchdown pass that won the game. It looks like a receiver was covered up and advance down field at the snap.
And he should be getting help from his wings in this case. I can see him thinking there is a reciever in the area, but his wing should have told no one was around. After all this call is not always made immediately.

Peace