Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
How about you just paddle the coach at halftime or suspend him for a quarter!
How about just giving the coach a choice.....

Swallow it or ejection ..........
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
You guys all are forgetting the most important thing here. The football field, basketball court, baseball diamond or whatever surface your sport is played on isn't just an extra-curricular site. It is an extension of the classroom and at the high school level we as officials are educators too. It is our responsibility to enforce sportsmanship and other rules. As an educator you would not allow any sort of tobacco in your classroom and that is what the football field is, a classroom.

And for those of you that say this isn't a safety rule, try checking this out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...GoPmqQHljoDICQ
You could get killed driving to or from the game, too. It just seems a far-fetched cx.

And no, I don't think it's an extension of the classroom. Extramural sports are entertainment, a way to blow off steam that happens to be connected to schools for arbitrary reasons. They may get out of phys. ed. for a term by playing a sport, but that's about as far as the cx to instruction goes.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

That is a matter of opinion, Robert. Most coaches would say you arre wrong about that.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is a matter of opinion, Robert. Most coaches would say you arre wrong about that.
Most coaches have an inflated idea of their importance. But in that, they're no different from others in "education".
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Maybe, in theory, but if you start applying the same behavior standards on the field that they employ in the classroom, they'd have a cow.

The concept holds true, but it's not exactly the same.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
You guys all are forgetting the most important thing here. The football field, basketball court, baseball diamond or whatever surface your sport is played on isn't just an extra-curricular site. It is an extension of the classroom and at the high school level we as officials are educators too. It is our responsibility to enforce sportsmanship and other rules. As an educator you would not allow any sort of tobacco in your classroom and that is what the football field is, a classroom.
I'm not forgetting anything. I simply don't agree with your analogy.

The field or court is an extension of the classroom for the student-athletes. On that, we agree.

But if it's an extension for the coaches then that's where administrators come in. They should insure that their coaches don't chew, spit or smoke in the classroom, on the field or the court. It has nothing to do with the rules of the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 06:06pm.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

IMO you need to stop looking for trouble on the sideline and focus on the game and player safety.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

At least the officials didn't get involved in this one. The article didn't make clear whether he was a player.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1276 View Post
IMO you need to stop looking for trouble on the sideline and focus on the game and player safety.
That's a coach's answer. Clearly you shouldn't be shaking down the sideline for tobacco but sometimes it is something that gets thrown in OUR lap.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Are you a coach?

Next thing you'll do is keep my nose out of the dugout when the manager is screaming at me. Oh, wait. Wrong sport.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:58pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Same answer I get when I enforce the restricted area. Seems nobody cares about official and/or coaches safety.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Tell the rules committee, then. Those coaches seem to think we do need to enforce this.

Other than that...
What Welpe said.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:57pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's a coach's answer. Clearly you shouldn't be shaking down the sideline for tobacco but sometimes it is something that gets thrown in OUR lap.
Amen. Should it any different if somebody was drunk? Lord knows I've had my share of tipsy chain crew guys...
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 06:13am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Nobody "looks for trouble". These rules are there for us to use when, for example, we get sprayed by an angry coach.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Nobody "looks for trouble". These rules are there for us to use when, for example, we get sprayed by an angry coach.
You don't need the tobacco rule for this, IMO.