The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

i cant find that thread dudeinblue or someone made about using it on the field, but i remember the general consensus was that it was wrong and unprofessional. PU in tonights cubs/mets game has a can in his back pocket. no idea who it is, and i dont know why they take vacation days or what their tire pressure is, so this isnt a thread for that crap.

just throwing this out there since i saw it and thought of that thread
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Chew

It is my understanding that at ALL organizations, except the Majors, tobacco has been outlawed. This includes the umpires as well. Speaking as a former user, I'd like to say that this is a good thing, I got started when I played in HS.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

That's weird....how easy can it be for the home plate umpire to use chew, especially when he has the hockey mask? It's not like he's working the bases when he can spit as he chews....If you need my opinion on the issue, look at what happened to Doug Harvey.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

Maybe it was one of those cans of bubble gum fashioned to appear like a can of snuff!

Tim.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56

Maybe it was one of those cans of bubble gum fashioned to appear like a can of snuff!

Tim.
Strawberry flavored. I agree.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
That's weird....how easy can it be for the home plate umpire to use chew, especially when he has the hockey mask? It's not like he's working the bases when he can spit as he chews....
not everyone who chews, spits.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
not everyone who chews, spits. [/B]
Then it's tougher to throw up with a helmet on. Or a mask for that matter.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
Terry Francona chews alot during the game. Last night he was arguing with the umpire,i think it was cousins and the tabacco was flying every which way,it was really quite funny. Alen Embree chows alot as he playing. Its kinda gross but hey if they want cancer let them.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Last night when Francona was going crazy he had bubble gum in his mouth. If you were able to see the game you would have seen him the next inning picking tobacco up off the back of the bench and chewing. Unless they make bright pink tobacco, he was chewing gum when he was screaming at Bill Miller, then he finally flung it across the field.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
Yea i ran in from the other room after my dad said he was arguing and when i got out there i saw him throw something on the ground. I was wrong,and i dont know how i thought it was cousins when he was behind the plate. It's that kinda day. Thanks mattmets for clearing it up that,and pointing out my stupidity. He does chew a bunch of tabacco just not at that time.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

brian,

If you are still looking for the thread where dudeinblue made such a grand showing regarding his take on chewing tobacco on the field, you can find it on page 3 of this forum under " Sunflower seeds on the field "

Tim.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 12:00pm
LeftyRef

Actually, Francona wraps his chew in bubble gum. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more disgusting...
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Francona wraps his chew in bubble gum.

Former Yankee pitcher Steve Hamilton used to do that, too. I once saw him accidently swallow the whole glob and have to leave the game.

Strange and small world. At a summer picnic, during a general discussion on baseball, I related that story to a woman who then informed me that she had dated Steve Hamilton in high school and had remained good friends with him until he died in 1997 (of cancer, two days after his 62nd birthday). As the conversation continued, the woman told me that she had recently lost her son, who had been killed when he fell off his motorcycle while parking it.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Tobacco Use

6 or 7 years ago I was umpiring 17-18 year old summer league games in Ellisville, Mississippi and there was a coach (in the coaching box) smoking a cigar. The first opportunity I told him that tobacco products were not allowed. He accused the coach of the other team of asking me to do this. Of course that is not true. It is real easy to stand out on the field smoking a cigar. Anyway, that was the last game that I officiated in the league. The Coach in question was on the league board of directors. Obviously, he was immuned from the rules. That was my first summer to officiate in that league even though I had been an umpire elsewhere for more that 10 years. I had always heard what a "bush league" this was but this just confirmed it.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Tobacco Use

Quote:
Originally posted by Superdog50
6 or 7 years ago I was umpiring 17-18 year old summer league games in Ellisville, Mississippi and there was a coach (in the coaching box) smoking a cigar. The first opportunity I told him that tobacco products were not allowed. He accused the coach of the other team of asking me to do this. Of course that is not true. It is real easy to stand out on the field smoking a cigar. Anyway, that was the last game that I officiated in the league. The Coach in question was on the league board of directors. Obviously, he was immuned from the rules. That was my first summer to officiate in that league even though I had been an umpire elsewhere for more that 10 years. I had always heard what a "bush league" this was but this just confirmed it.
In everything below MLB, tobacco = auto ejection.

You should have ejected him.