The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:03pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Spit Tobacco

Creeping back into umpires mouths is ths insidious habit. The prevalence of smaller but more nicotine saturated "pinches" can keep this violation, at most parks, hidden to most. MLB players have become especially good at mixing their dip with sunflower seeds, bubble gum - the kids know this and MLB and most ump orgs turn their backs when it comes to enforcement.

It’s not as uncommon as you might think. One out of ten 12- to 17- year-olds nationwide uses spit tobacco.
Smokeless is not harmless. Where cigarette smokers must be concerned about cancers of the lungs, spit tobacco users face mouth, throat and stomach cancers. It is not uncommon for these cancers to develop within 5 years of using.
It doesn’t take long to get hooked. Because there is more nicotine from smokeless tobacco than from cigarettes, users of spit tobacco become addicted within weeks of first trying chew.

What are we thinking about?
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Creeping back into umpires mouths is ths insidious habit. The prevalence of smaller but more nicotine saturated "pinches" can keep this violation, at most parks, hidden to most. MLB players have become especially good at mixing their dip with sunflower seeds, bubble gum - the kids know this and MLB and most ump orgs turn their backs when it comes to enforcement.

It’s not as uncommon as you might think. One out of ten 12- to 17- year-olds nationwide uses spit tobacco.
Smokeless is not harmless. Where cigarette smokers must be concerned about cancers of the lungs, spit tobacco users face mouth, throat and stomach cancers. It is not uncommon for these cancers to develop within 5 years of using.
It doesn’t take long to get hooked. Because there is more nicotine from smokeless tobacco than from cigarettes, users of spit tobacco become addicted within weeks of first trying chew.

What are we thinking about?
First off, chewing and dipping have NEVER been against MLB rules. My men Jake Peavy and Marcus Giles have big old wads of chew in their mouths at all times. It's only banned in MiLB, High School and some youth ball leagues. Whenever I did a NABA, ADABA, USABF, MSBL, Mexican-American, or any other "big boy" or adult league, I have dipped and chewed with total immunity.

I dipped and chewed as a prison guard in the late 70s, and also as an umpire when working baseball games for years and years, and never got any cancer. You either are susceptable to cancer or you're not. I smoked from age 12 until two and half years ago, and never got cancer from that either. Imagine that! You either have cells that can become cancerous or you don't. Once again, it is all in the genes.

I think you should stop trying to dictate what people do in their private lives. You seem to try to act like Big Brother all the time. Knock it off.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:31pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
First off, chewing and dipping have NEVER been against MLB rules. My men Jake Peavy and Marcus Giles have big old wads of chew in their mouths at all times. It's only banned in MiLB, High School and some youth ball leagues. Whenever I did a NABA, ADABA, USABF, MSBL, Mexican-American, or any other "big boy" or adult league, I have dipped and chewed with total immunity.
I never said usage was banned however in all parks I umpire, tobacco usage is prohibited. Your overt use of tobacco is your poor choice.

Quote:
I dipped and chewed as a prison guard in the late 70s, and also as an umpire when working baseball games for years and years, and never got any cancer. You either are susceptable to cancer or you're not.
It is true that some are predisposed, it appears, others not. The fact that you have survived your abusiveness, and you seem to gloat about both your abusive health behaviors, is what it is. A combination of ignorance and luck.

Quote:
I smoked from age 12 until two and half years ago, and never got cancer from that either. Imagine that! You either have cells that can become cancerous or you don't. Once again, it is all in the genes.
And it is pure luck that you aren't in seriously bad health. Can you tell us what genetic test one can take to determine?

Quote:
I think you should stop trying to dictate what people do in their private lives. You seem to try to act like Big Brother all the time. Knock it off.
I'm not dictating anything, I'm commenting and bringing to bear truths. Your sensitivities are understandable, they flow with your poor choices. If you take offense, examine why.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Ya know, former NL umpire Doug Harvey was a chewer until he contracted throat cancer. He is a strong advocate against it and routinely speaks on the subject.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:57pm
In Time Out

Yeah, kudos to Doug, a brave thing to do.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You either are susceptable to cancer or you're not. I smoked from age 12 until two and half years ago, and never got cancer from that either. Imagine that! You either have cells that can become cancerous or you don't. Once again, it is all in the genes.
Oh, my.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Oh my is correct.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:43am
In Time Out

Quote:
I smoked from age 12 until two and half years ago, and never got cancer from that either.

Probably why he developed diabetes. Smoking, drinking, excessive eating (especially the wrong foods like too many sweets) and lack of sufficient exercise through the years caused Steve to be stricken with diabetes.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 02:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, my.
Really. Kids, don't take medical advice from SDS.
Closed Thread