The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 01:38pm
Chain of Fools

Dare I say we see the intentional PI enter its heyday now?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Dare I say we see the intentional PI enter its heyday now?
We just might. Make the officials call it.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think DPIs will go up. Why not, not much consequence for this action anymore. Stupid change.

Peace
I don't believe they'll go up significantly since most DPI's will still result in an AFD. Obviously the only time they won't is if the LTG is more than 15 yards or half the distance leaves them short or they are in a goal-to-go situation. I think any increase will come in those goal-to-go situation where a defender realizes he either gives up the TD or commits PI (especially on 3rd or 4th down). They'll get to replay the down but at least they'll have another chance to stop them. Even if you called intentional PI the down would still be replayed and you would only add another half the distance.

I do not like this change at all and hope it is still changed in editorial review.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not saying they will go up significantly, but I could see a coach or two teaching to foul when the down and distance is over 15 yards. And certainly do it in situations where the yardage is going to be a non-factor or even when the game is near the end. And we may actually see some situations where the intentional portion of that rule will be in play because HS kids often do not execute doing things on purpose without making it look like it was on purpose.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not saying they will go up significantly, but I could see a coach or two teaching to foul when the down and distance is over 15 yards. And certainly do it in situations where the yardage is going to be a non-factor or even when the game is near the end. And we may actually see some situations where the intentional portion of that rule will be in play because HS kids often do not execute doing things on purpose without making it look like it was on purpose.

Peace
I would if I were a coach.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 02:33pm
Chain of Fools

If the defense persists, when would 10-9-2 come into effect?

Law of unintended consequenses.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 02:41pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I don't believe they'll go up significantly since most DPI's will still result in an AFD.
You mean they'll result in a first down. By rule, starting next year, they will NOT result in an AFD.

I dunno. I guess I expect DPI to be a more common tactic on 3rd-and-a-mile. No flag, D wins. Flag, it's still 3rd and long. Why wouldn't teams coach this?

"Don't let him catch it!"
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Excellent. Now, if we need the clock to stop and are out of timeouts, we just make sure someone's helmet comes off. GREAT idea.
It was happening anyway. An official's TO was used to get a sub in the game, same as an injury (or faked injury).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 06:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
You mean they'll result in a first down. By rule, starting next year, they will NOT result in an AFD.

I dunno. I guess I expect DPI to be a more common tactic on 3rd-and-a-mile. No flag, D wins. Flag, it's still 3rd and long. Why wouldn't teams coach this?

"Don't let him catch it!"
They will coach it. We were coached it...since it's not a spot foul if you're going to give up a TD, tackle the receiver, good coaching IMO
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
“Offensive and defensive pass interference and the penalty structure related to these fouls has been debated many times in recent years,” Garrett said. “Proposals that either deleted the loss of down or the automatic first down – but not both – failed to gain support among committee members. The proposal to eliminate both components, thus not upsetting the balance between offense and defense, was the key factor in the adoption of the new rule.”
But overall it favors the offense. 15 yds. will usually produce a 1st down anyway, and if I'm 2nd & 16, I'd rather repeat the down and get 2nd & 1. Where it'll mostly matter is against the defense in a half-the-distance enforcement -- which actually is where you needed the AFD the most.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:19am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Where it'll mostly matter is against the defense in a half-the-distance enforcement -- which actually is where you needed the AFD the most.

This will likely be a major issue around the goal line. No doubt.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Maybe in a yr. or 2 they'll add a special enforcement near B's end zone.

In Fed's football rules committee archives, in the 1940s (or maybe it was the late '30s) the sec'y or chairman wrote that he thought NCAA's failure to automatically award a TD on DPI in B's end zone was outdated, owing to a time when TDs had been scarcer, and advocated and expected Fed to make it a TD. That was one of the changes that was never adopted.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 07:20am
Official & ***** Member

My understanding is that the loss of the AFD provision was a compromise to get the LOD out of the enforcement. I suspect that AFD will be reinstated in a couple of years after some rules committee members have rotated off.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post

+1

4th and goal at the 9. Team will teach if you get beat, interfere with the player. The worst than can happen is 4th and goal at the 2 1/4.

Bad move by the Rules Committee
Old Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:29am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
In addition, the survey indicated there were 1,805 girls who played football in 2011-12.
I'm really surprised by this number, especially if Texas isn't included.