The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Can We Have The NFL Replacements Back, Please?

Never thought I would say/type that Thread Title.....

I am tired of seeing the "regular" NFL officials simply have no clue and make "no call" during plays in various games this season. It's not that they make the wrong call (which is happening often)....IT'S THAT THEY MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO CALL AT ALL...and wait for a replay review later.

Case in point: Bears v Vikings (11/25); RB Matt Forte runs off left tackle & is tackled by several defenders in a pile of players. After a second or two of delay, a Vikings defender picks up the ball and runs towards the end zone. NONE of the officials had a whistle OR a clue as to what happened. NONE of the officials ran/followed the defender to the end zone (a Side Judge actually ran toward and past the pile of players w/ his hands out as if to say - "what just happened?") It took Referee Scott Green approx. :20 to finally turn on his mic. to declare "Touchdown". As everyone was milling around prior to the PAT, he then said "Replay confirms the call on the field - Touchdown". After that a officiating supervisor on the sideline got the attention of the Linesman who killed the PAT and got Green's attention....then Green said: "The previous play is under review".

OF COURSE they reversed it because the RB was clearly down by contact. (ALL 22 PLAYERS stop their actions because they knew he was down). What a complete disaster that play and crew was (the crew also missed a clear "helmet-to-helmet, left his feet to launch himself" block by DT Jared Allen on an INT).

I haven't even mentioned the Lions v Texans TD run that the officials incorrectly allowed (another complete embarassment).....

I haven't even mention the approx. 1:15 of game time that a crew allowed to run off the clock while conducting a 1st down measurement during the 49ers v Rams game.....

I haven't even mentioned Tony Corrente cursing over an open mic. during a Colts game......

The regulars are only marginally better than the replacements at SIGNIFICANTLY more cost....

This may be the first time in NFL history that, based on per game officials grading system, some replacement officials will work the Super Bowl because they graded out higher than the "regulars". No wonder why the NFL Officials Union DIDN'T want a reserve officials staff available to replace under-performing "regulars".
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I haven't even mentioned the Lions v Texans TD run that the officials incorrectly allowed (another complete embarassment).....
How was this TD incorrectly allowed? Watching that game live, I didn't think he'd hit the ground. I was wrong... but at full speed, I thought he'd avoided his knee hitting (the elbow wasn't apparent on first view at all). If the official's angle was such that he didn't see the player down, he should not blow the whistle. The rest is the coach's fault.

Incidentally, you mention 5 or 6 incidents over several weeks. When the RR's were on the field, it was 15 or 20 every week.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The regulars are only marginally better than the replacements at SIGNIFICANTLY more cost....

This may be the first time in NFL history that, based on per game officials grading system, some replacement officials will work the Super Bowl because they graded out higher than the "regulars". No wonder why the NFL Officials Union DIDN'T want a reserve officials staff available to replace under-performing "regulars".
There's not a single replacement official that would make the Super Bowl if they were scrutinzed by the league like the regulars are (and Mike Peierra said as much). That's not to say that some of those mistakes aren't excusable (mainly the timing mistake). To say that they were just marginally better is just wrong in my opinion. I could clearly see the difference in just penalty enforcements...there's no way I should know the penalty enforcements that much better than those working a game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 02:06pm.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Heck, I thought the game was more interesting with replacement players.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I could clearly see the difference in just penalty enforcements...there's no way I should know the penalty enforcements that much better than those working a game.
And because of that, it was the flow of the game where I noticed the biggest, most immediate difference. It seems the RR games could be counted on for at least 3 or 4 needless confusion-filled delays. The games now run MUCH smoother. There will never be NO mistakes, but I think one more week of RR's and I was going to stop watching.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:48pm
TODO: creative title here

Football officiating 101:
If you don't see the player on the ground (and, in the NFL's case, down by contact) AND in possession of the ball, you DO NOT blow your whistle.

Also, all turnovers and scoring plays are automatically reviewed... as a consequence, NFL officials (and D1 college officials) are taught that "if in doubt, it's a fumble/interception/turnover/touchdown"... because the replay folks can (and will) come in and overturn the play if necessary.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:49pm
Chain of Fools

The biggest problem I see now is they are officiating TO replay.

They still are making more money and working with players I'll never come close to seeing
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Football officiating 101:
If you don't see the player on the ground (and, in the NFL's case, down by contact) AND in possession of the ball, you DO NOT blow your whistle.

Also, all turnovers and scoring plays are automatically reviewed... as a consequence, NFL officials (and D1 college officials) are taught that "if in doubt, it's a fumble/interception/turnover/touchdown"... because the replay folks can (and will) come in and overturn the play if necessary.
As I said, it's not just that they got the call wrong....THEY HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED. 7 guys on the field in stripes....and they didn't know what to do!!!!!!

I can buy the change in positioning of the Umpire to behind the line of scrimmage causes a "hole" in the sight lines (both the Bears v Vikings game AND Lions v Texans game could have used an Umpire in the "old" position to see both of these plays).....but these are "Pro's", the "best of the best", highly-paid professionals - this should NEVER happen.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
And because of that, it was the flow of the game where I noticed the biggest, most immediate difference. It seems the RR games could be counted on for at least 3 or 4 needless confusion-filled delays. The games now run MUCH smoother. There will never be NO mistakes, but I think one more week of RR's and I was going to stop watching.
The replacements got a bad rap because everyone perceived that every call was wrong....remember the Broncos @ Falcons game early in the year? John Fox and the Bronco coaching staff were whining like babies even AFTER a replay review confirmed they had 12 on the field. They were STILL convinced the replacements were wrong....they would NEVER do that to the "regulars"....but now we know how bad the regulars have been this season!
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never thought I would say/type that Thread Title.....

I am tired of seeing the "regular" NFL officials simply have no clue and make "no call" during plays in various games this season.
I guarantee they have more of a clue than you or any replacement officials ever will.

Good grief.

Let us know when you work your next perfect game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlin nc View Post
the biggest problem i see now is they are officiating to replay.

They still are making more money and working with players i'll never come close to seeing
+1
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
i guarantee they have more of a clue than you or any replacement officials ever will.

Good grief.

Let us know when you work your next perfect game.
+2
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As I said, it's not just that they got the call wrong....THEY HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED. 7 guys on the field in stripes....and they didn't know what to do!!!!!!

I can buy the change in positioning of the Umpire to behind the line of scrimmage causes a "hole" in the sight lines (both the Bears v Vikings game AND Lions v Texans game could have used an Umpire in the "old" position to see both of these plays).....but these are "Pro's", the "best of the best", highly-paid professionals - this should NEVER happen.
You do realize that not all seven are watching the ball, right? They don't have more eyes on the ball than a crew of five would have, and there are often times when sh1t happens and bodies were in the way.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You do realize that not all seven are watching the ball, right? They don't have more eyes on the ball than a crew of five would have, and there are often times when sh1t happens and bodies were in the way.
Of course he does not realize this, he does not officiate football. He is like a lot of ignorant observers, he probably has not idea who would be watching this play at all.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Matt Forte injured on reversed defensive touchdown call - NFL Videos

Jim Daopoulos on week 12.

Mike Pereira on week 12.

There was also an IW which took away a defensive touchdown. Tough week for the regular guys.

Steratore, Winter, and Vinovich have been great in the games that I've seen.

And R85 used the word "buttocks" on the mic.